Best Mobo for a 6600 conroe

Darlok

Limp Gawd
What is the best overclockable MB for either 6400 or 6600 conroe? non sli preferred .. Thanks guys.. It's been awhile since i posted and am thinking of speccing out a new gaming machine

The DS3 (965P one not sure about the G one) works wonders for me. Easily overclocked my e6400 to 3.2 ghz (but settled with 3.0 ghz)

Heard there was some ram issues for it, but didn't seem to affect me when I put my comp together, probably because I have rev 2 not 1.

For E6400 take Asus P5B Deluxe, and for E6600 I'd recommend Asus P5W DH Deluxe. Other good boards for E6600 would be Intel Bad Axe 2 or Abit AWD9. All 3 boards are great, I suggest you look at the features / price, and then decide which one suits you more.

umbolo said:
For E6400 take Asus P5B Deluxe, and for E6600 I'd recommend Asus P5W DH Deluxe. Other good boards for E6600 would be Intel Bad Axe 2 or Abit AWD9. All 3 boards are great, I suggest you look at the features / price, and then decide which one suits you more.

As this states; and another vote for ASUS. P5 series seems to be the most popular as well. If you notice on all forums the super high overclocks are usually from the asus boards, but are others out there as well.

INFRNL

A vote here for the Bad Axe 2. Rock solid & overclocks nicely, though not extremely.

best performance for a 6600 is probably going to be on a 975 chipset board as the memory timings will be tighter.
Once you go over ~ 400fsb on a 965 it shifts to the 1333 strap & iirc 680i is similar.
With a 6400 it's more important to run a high fsb to counteract the lower multi & get max core clock so you're probably better with a 965.

lemme just say all those boards everyone named are good but if you have deeper pockets then heck out the EvGA 680i,,,, at first they had problems with it and there were a lot of bugs but they just released a patch for the board and it corrects all the mistkes....

plus you get 3 pci express slots witch is nice for the future and what is going to be emerging in the technology world.

the only thing is that if you are gooing to be overclocking a lot....... the North bridge of this board can get or will get veerry hot,,,,,,, so you either have to get another heat sink/fan for it or you have to have really good air or decent water ooling to make sure it doesnt get too hot..

evga i680. just make believe the sli isnt there, and dont use it. unless it would bother you just knowing its there.

umbolo said:

I second this recommendation, only I highly recommend you get a BX2 if you get an e6600.

I'm not sure I'd recommend 680i chipset based motherboard at the moment. Those boards have many problems, and although some of them might be fixed, I'd wait before investing into that chipset.

It's funny how today best praise you can say for motherboard is that it works, while stability, performance, onboard features and bundle are secondary. Manufacturers rush out with new models, with poor BIOS and failing components. There are practically no 975X, P965 or 680i boards without some problems, be it memory incompatibility, hard disk controllers problems, BIOS quirks, poorly applied thermal compunds, instability etc.

e6600 the P5W DH would be the best choice.

now if you were getting an e6400, I'd say go with a 965 board, like the P5B-E or DS3

And I would NOT recommend an e6300 as you might hit a FSB/ram bottleneck before you max your CPU out.

why do you guys recommend p5w dh deluxe for e6600 but p5b or ds3 for e6400? just wondering.

Donnow? I thought the P5B Deluxe, P965 also was recommended for the E6600 for its Its ICH8R instead of the ICH7R of the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 975X.
And there are some differences in overclocking possibilities more on the PB5 Deluxe it seems.

P5W DH Deluxe
AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System)
ASUS PEG Link
Precision Tweaker:
- vDIMM: 12-step DRAM voltage control
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.0125 increment
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection):
- Allowing FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
- PCIe x16 Frequency: allowing PCIe x16 frequency from 90MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment"
AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio. Fixed PCI/PCIe frequencies.
ASUS AI Booster utility
Overclocking Protection:
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

P5B Deluxe
Intelligent overclocking tools:
- AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System)
- AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
- ASUS PEG Link - Automatically performance tuning for graphics card
- ASUS AI Booster utility
Precision Tweaker:
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.00625V increment
- vDIMM: 13-step DRAM voltage control
- vChipset: 4-step Chipset voltage control
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
- FSB tuning from 100MHz up to 650MHz at 1MHz increment
- Memory tuning from 533MHz up to 1066MHz
- PCI Express frequency tuning from 100MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment
Overclocking Protection:
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

hey thanks. yea i see that they have some different features from eachother. i was always under the assumption that p5b deluxe is the best overclocker, but a lot of people keep recommending for e6600. im not sure why. anyone know?

I like the 975X because it has 1 IDE channel for optical drives built in to the ICH7R.

You get some better storage options with the 965/ICH8R, but unless you're running a lot of SATA drives (more than 3...or in RAID 5 or something like that), you wouldn't necessarily notice the difference.

975X is slightly faster clock for clock than the 965, but because it doesn't adjust the strap like the 965/680i, it only gets to around 425-450mhz FSB. Usually that's enough to max out a 6600 on air. Plus, you can run Crossfire on the 975X if that's your thing. I did it for a while and it worked fine for me.

I like the 975X because it has 1 IDE channel for optical drives built in to the ICH7R.

You get some better storage options with the 965/ICH8R, but unless you're running a lot of SATA drives (more than 3...or in RAID 5 or something like that), you wouldn't necessarily notice the difference.

975X is slightly faster clock for clock than the 965, but because it doesn't adjust the strap like the 965/680i, it only gets to around 425-450mhz FSB. Usually that's enough to max out a 6600 on air. Plus, you can run Crossfire on the 975X if that's your thing. I did it for a while and it worked fine for me.
Ah I see what you're saying, clock for clock. Everything else aside, if I was going to watercool the CPU, GPU, and NB, would the p5b deluxe be a better choice then? Or would the P5W DH Deluxe still be better? The 450mhz FSB wall you speak of on the P5W, what is the cause of it? Watercooling won't get me past it? BTW I'll be using G. Skill DDR2 800 HZ sticks if that factors in somehow. The most drives I'll use is probably 4 though it's likely I'll just be sticking to 3 and def not RAID.

I really love the P5W DH remote control and the built in router seems kinda nifty (can you turn it off when you want to?) so that's why I'm trying to figure this out so bad. :D

THANKS!

I think 450mhz is a little generous. You're probably going to hit something lower than that (maybe not with WC though). You might be able to squeeze a little more out of it. I've heard that the P5W64 board can do more, but it's $80 or so more than the P5W DH.

Even with WC, I don't think you can max out a E6600 chip with the 975X. 450x9=4050mhz. Not to many of them hit that.

So, if you like the P5W DH features, go for that. Yes, you can turn off the router. I don't remember a bios option for it, but you can disable it in Windows right from the Asus program. This isn't to say that the P5B is a bad board. Either one would be a good choice.

with a cpu like the e-6600 you have sort of a wide open field of mb's for over clocking . the 9x multi should put you near the cpu's limit pretty early so any mb that can do 400fsb to 450fsb should do fine .

running a chip with a high multi like 9x i would want to make sure i had a mb with multi adjustment since some 965p's still lack this feature .

a gigabyte ds3 , asus p5b-e/deluxe or a p5w should do . you also should consider the asus p5n-e-sli with the 650i chipset . you don't have to use sli in a sli mb and an extra pci-e slot might be useful for other things in the future.:cool:

the P5W DH is recommend over the P5B or DS3 b/c clock for clock its faster. (tighter timings somewhere) But it doesn't reach as a high of a FSB.

But with an e6600 you don't need ultra high FSB's to get the max out your processor b/c its got a higher multiplier.

If you buy an e6400 or 6300 you'd need a high FSB to max the chip, and thats why people recommend the 965 based motherboards for them. (DS3 & P5B-E)

From my experience the SLI and Crossfire failed cause if I have to buy another XFX6600GT now it's cheaper to buy one ATI X1900 GT or X1950 Pro.
best performance for a 6600 is probably going to be on a 975 chipset board as the memory timings will be tighter.
Once you go over ~ 400fsb on a 965 it shifts to the 1333 strap & iirc 680i is similar.
With a 6400 it's more important to run a high fsb to counteract the lower multi & get max core clock so you're probably better with a 965.
the P5W DH is recommend over the P5B or DS3 b/c clock for clock its faster. (tighter timings somewhere) But it doesn't reach as a high of a FSB.

But with an e6600 you don't need ultra high FSB's to get the max out your processor b/c its got a higher multiplier.

If you buy an e6400 or 6300 you'd need a high FSB to max the chip, and thats why people recommend the 965 based motherboards for them. (DS3 & P5B-E)
Very interesting stuff folks TnX!

I have chosen the 5PB WIFI for it's 6x SATA with the E6600 will report later what kinda fireworks it will give.

Very GOOD LINK: http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=1
Three Core 2 motherboards from Asus Comparing the P5B, P5N32-SLI, and P5W DH
by Geoff Gasior — August 22, 2006

Awesome info guys, thank you. So if I understand correctly, a PC with e6600 and low FSB will equal performance (or better?) of a PC with e6400 and high FSB? The e6400 cannot outperform the e6600 if both are pushed to the max on watercooling?

And even if I use p5b deluxe with e6600, I will not be able to hit the high FSB that the e6400 gets, even with watercooling, because the chip will be maxed out (in a good way)? Which means the North Bridge will be cooler but still perform as good as a e6400 with high FSB?

Also what I am understanding is the FSB frequency isn't as important as how much information it can receive (the multi allows it to receive more with a lower frequency)? You all think my RAM will still clock nicely even with this lower FSB (G. Skill ddr2 800 HZ)? I am now a little confused on how the FSB plays its role, lol. :)

Thanks!

Not if 64 and 66 are at same speed. 66 has 2 more cache. But that's only gonna show in benchmarks. :D Now if your 66 only hits 3.2 and some guy's 64 hits 3.6, the 66 won't be any faster...perhaps a little slower. They're both good, but I felt the 2MB was throwing $100 bucks away.

Speeds being equal, the 6600 with the extra cache is going to be slightly faster. Probably not all that noticeable depending on what you're doing. Maybe a few seconds here or there doing video encoding or something like that. 1-3% maybe.

Back