Best Linux distro.. "best"..

And I disagree, with the exception of a niche few professionals who are dependant on Windows and it's associated, expensive, software; the open source look alikes work just fine and will achieve everything they want and need - As an example, as an amateur photographer and someone that needs software to resize, crop and add layers to images for my various online business needs I found Gimp to actually work better than Photoshop - In my scenario.
In my experience in IT in support and administration, I have not found it to be the case that it is only an "exception of a niche few professionals who are dependent on Windows" (spelling corrected). It would be nice were that the case. Unfortunately many professionals are forced with the decision to use big name, industry standard, efficient (for their processes/business), well known, well supported software or to have to spend that time and money reinventing that wheel and doing so imperfectly.

They may work with document management systems with built-in databases, reports, forms, and automation. The database stored in Microsoft SQL Server presents in Microsoft Excel using a combination of add-ins, MS Office Interop assemblies, and .NET programming. It does a lot of the work for them on linking to other workbooks, updating the numbers, calculating and adjusting calculations, and pulling in information from prior years. They have programs that ask them questions and output the answers to properly formatted forms in Microsoft Word documents or Microsoft Excel workbooks.

A third party provides the research and keeps the forms up to date with any changes that happen multiple times a year. When the updates do happen, the data persists and the form updates underneath it. This is again accomplished by in one case add-ins to Excel and Word and in another through a Microsoft SQL Server back-end with a .NET developed client that outputs to Excel/Word using Interop assemblies and Office add-ins.

A big name statistical sampling software they use can pull information from PDF files, perform statistical analysis based on criteria they specify and output the results to Excel. This saved them from having to OCR or convert the PDF to a spreadsheet program (and deal with the imperfections of that process), manually group, format, and perform calculations on the spreadsheet to get it into a usable format.

Their time, billing, expense, and reporting software is Windows only. Their scheduling software requires Internet Explorer (even though it is browser based). Their CRM is only feature complete when used in combination with Outlook and Adobe Flash (bleh). You can import from and export to CSV if you don't mind having to manage synchronizing manually.

They are at a competitive disadvantage if they don't use the software. They are not developers and work for a medium business. Big businesses can afford to hire their own developers, create their own software, employ their own compliance and research teams (I'm speculating here). Individuals and very small businesses may not work with the sort of complexity that requires this sort of investment in software.

Some of the vendors that I deal with are just now starting to move in the direction of platform and browser independence. At the moment, their efforts are mainly aimed towards allowing customers to view data from any device or are on a go forward basis (you need Windows to view prior year or archive data). However, it is hard to see some of the products being able to achieve independence from Microsoft Office. It's not in their interest to have to create their own online, web based "Office Web Apps" for the products that are web based. It's hard for me to see the thick client or client/server program vendors being able to cut out the interop/add-in integration with Microsoft Office, given what it does and the seemless functionality their customers have come to expect. Currently, most of the users I support have no idea that when they are working in Excel their data is actually in a SQL database for some of their workbooks. They think they are making changes in Excel.

In my experience in IT in support and administration, I have not found it to be the case that it is only an "exception of a niche few professionals who are dependent on Windows" (spelling corrected). It would be nice were that the case. Unfortunately many professionals are forced with the decision to use big name, industry standard, efficient (for their processes/business), well known, well supported software or to have to spend that time and money reinventing that wheel and doing so imperfectly.

They may work with document management systems with built-in databases, reports, forms, and automation. The database stored in Microsoft SQL Server presents in Microsoft Excel using a combination of add-ins, MS Office Interop assemblies, and .NET programming. It does a lot of the work for them on linking to other workbooks, updating the numbers, calculating and adjusting calculations, and pulling in information from prior years. They have programs that ask them questions and output the answers to properly formatted forms in Microsoft Word documents or Microsoft Excel workbooks.

A third party provides the research and keeps the forms up to date with any changes that happen multiple times a year. When the updates do happen, the data persists and the form updates underneath it. This is again accomplished by in one case add-ins to Excel and Word and in another through a Microsoft SQL Server back-end with a .NET developed client that outputs to Excel/Word using Interop assemblies and Office add-ins.

A big name statistical sampling software they use can pull information from PDF files, perform statistical analysis based on criteria they specify and output the results to Excel. This saved them from having to OCR or convert the PDF to a spreadsheet program (and deal with the imperfections of that process), manually group, format, and perform calculations on the spreadsheet to get it into a usable format.

Their time, billing, expense, and reporting software is Windows only. Their scheduling software requires Internet Explorer (even though it is browser based). Their CRM is only feature complete when used in combination with Outlook and Adobe Flash (bleh). You can import from and export to CSV if you don't mind having to manage synchronizing manually.

They are at a competitive disadvantage if they don't use the software. They are not developers and work for a medium business. Big businesses can afford to hire their own developers, create their own software, employ their own compliance and research teams (I'm speculating here). Individuals and very small businesses may not work with the sort of complexity that requires this sort of investment in software.

Some of the vendors that I deal with are just now starting to move in the direction of platform and browser independence. At the moment, their efforts are mainly aimed towards allowing customers to view data from any device or are on a go forward basis (you need Windows to view prior year or archive data). However, it is hard to see some of the products being able to achieve independence from Microsoft Office. It's not in their interest to have to create their own online, web based "Office Web Apps" for the products that are web based. It's hard for me to see the thick client or client/server program vendors being able to cut out the interop/add-in integration with Microsoft Office, given what it does and the seemless functionality their customers have come to expect. Currently, most of the users I support have no idea that when they are working in Excel their data is actually in a SQL database for some of their workbooks. They think they are making changes in Excel.

You won't get an argument out of me my friend, totally agreed in all areas. However, I have seen corporate situations where Windows servers were replaced with open source alternatives while still running Windows desktops for far less outlay and literally no loss of functionality - It's just that most corporate IT professionals only know Windows, work out how to achieve the same end result under an open source OS and you stand to make very good money.

However, the niche professionals we're talking about here are two completely different categories. I talking about the likes of a professional photographer or graphic designer, not specifically in relation to the corporate scenario.:)

You won't get an argument out of me my friend, totally agreed in all areas. However, I have seen corporate situations where Windows servers were replaced with open source alternatives while still running Windows desktops for far less outlay and literally no loss of functionality - It's just that most corporate IT professionals only know Windows, work out how to achieve the same end result under an open source OS and you stand to make very good money.

However, the niche professionals we're talking about here are two completely different categories. I talking about the likes of a professional photographer or graphic designer, not specifically in relation to the corporate scenario.:)
Ah, gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I should also probably caveat my "well supported" statement with the point that support is mostly good, but you're often working with one company, and on some problems they don't hesitate pointing the finger at Microsoft or the file you're working on. Very recently I got the "that has to do with a change Microsoft made to Office that we have no control over and can't do anything about." Earlier, they told us to save a particular large checklist (created by one of the large enterprise leaders in our field) as DOC and not DOCX and implicated the Office Open XML format and the checklist even though the corruption only occurs when edited in their software. We sent them a blank copy and they said they would have their developers look at it to possibly improve their software. Theoretically if it were open source, we could look at the code or appeal to a larger community for support or patching.

I've used Arch, the instillation went fine due to excellent documentation, but getting it up and running the way I liked was comparable to reinstalling and getting a Windows PC up and running and back up to the way you like with all settings and software packages reinstalled - Which is time consuming and mostly painful. Linux Mint, Ubuntu and derivatives are my preferred distro's now as everything just works.
I have a Samsung Chromebook 2 XE503C12. I bought it to see what a Chromebook was all about, because it was ARM, and because I wanted to run Linux on it. Getting Linux running using Crouton is easy. I was able to get Arch Linux up using these steps (below) but couldn't get xfce running. I think Xorg said the video driver could not be found. I'm going to try again this weekend. I wish installing and configuring Xorg was included in the Arch Linux instructions.

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/samsung/samsung-chromebook-2

Yeah, It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Just because some database you have needs to run in Windows, doesn't mean your file servers or your firewall, etc. etc., can't be unix based.

Unix implementations are highly compatible with Windows environments these days.

Heck, FreeNAS is an easy to use appliance based on BSD with out of the box support for Active Directory, for instance.

Especially these days when Virtualization is so easy, there is no reason at all to not take a "best in class" approach, and consolidate the different OS installs on the same couple of virtualization hosts.

Heck, this even affords you the luxury and ease of management of isolating the servers from each other. Have Ms Exchange server on a dedicated Windows install that just handles exchange. Have file server on a dedicated *nix install. Keep another dedicated install for your database. Have a dedicated LAMP *nix install for your web services etc. etc. etc.

That way you have no interactions between this software, and if something goes down or breaks, you can fix it without impacting the others, and you never have to worry about setting things up for specific ports, etc. They all have their own IP addresses.

I have a VMWare server in my basement with 10 different guests in 3 different operating systems. None of these are Windows, but if I wanted/needed a windows i could easily add one.

Your database example above is an interesting one though, as in most businesses these days SAP is the ERP gold standard (as much as I hate it) and it usually runs on an Oracle database on the back end (though there are alternatives).

Microsoft has their Dynamics AX system, but it blows and has had very limited implementations, at least that I have seen.

Lol this sort of setups are hell for users, cost like hell for the company foolish enough to venture into it and end up being broken 90% of the time. I'm glad I don't have to work in that sort of company.

Basically your text was full of trigger words that shout 'NO NO HELL NO You're doing it wrong' to me.

Lol this sort of setups are hell for users, cost like hell for the company foolish enough to venture into it and end up being broken 90% of the time. I'm glad I don't have to work in that sort of company.

Basically your text was full of trigger words that shout 'NO NO HELL NO You're doing it wrong' to me.
I will name names. The software we use comes from Thomson Reuters, Wolters Kluwer, and Caseware International. Those were the products I was describing. These are all global/multinational corporations. They are standards in the industry for the company I'm working for. You can take your problems with their software up with these companies.

Feel free to tell entire industries that they shouldn't use Thomson Reuters, Wolters Kluwer, and Caseware International software because you're triggered and think these industries are doing it wrong.

So CaseWare International provide the support and equipment in order to work with companies such as Thomson Reuters and Wolters Kluwer?

The issue is that saving money by not using CaseWare international, and leasing servers and equipment running Linux and supported by Dell/HP or IBM - All of who invest heavily in Linux and provide full support should it be needed, and hiring your own software team to write code that can interface with the above mentioned companies and support it, you have to be saving a considerable amount of $$ longterm.

Windows machines can communicate with Linux machines, and vice versa. You're not limited to one platform provided you can write software that does what you need it to do.

A great number of large multinationals do this, very few of them are limited to Windows alone.

When I got into computing, this is exactly how things worked. You leased mainframes off IBM, employed staff to write your own software in COBOL (for example), IBM supported the equipment, your staff supported the software. These setups ran EFTPOS and sales systems on a global scale, I believe some still do today! There is a world free from licensing restrictions beyond Microsoft - And due to the open source nature of Linux, if you can provide those solutions, you can make a lot of money.

Last edited:
Windows machines can communicate with Linux machines, and vice versa. You're not limited to one platform provided you can write software that does what you need it to do.

To add onto this; if you write portable code you don't even need to worry what system your code runs on (not always possible, but often possible).

I didn't explain myself very well.

Most of what I mentioned above is similar to off the shelf software, and, to that extent, it isn't much of a different situation than the niche (replace with industry specific) programs that were mentioned above. It could be done on Linux or in a platform agnostic way, it just isn't. And because we're not the one paying the developers (we're buying the software as released from a company), we don't have much say in that regard. We purchase hardware systems and support from Dell. We get our virtualization software and support from VMware. I believe we buy Windows and SQL through Dell from Microsoft via a licensing agreement (not sure if it's open, select, software assurance, etc). We get Microsoft Office 365 from Microsoft. Those other vendors just sell and support their own software. To the degree that the software we buy is tied to Microsoft Windows, Office, and SQL and to the degree that there aren't viable alternatives for us with near enough feature parity is the degree to which we're reliant on Microsoft and couldn't go Linux and Libre/Open Office. I think some of our user base might be happier if they weren't on Windows. More than half of our company groans if you tell them they need to use Internet Explorer for something. Marketing still wants Macs (at least last time I checked).

As an aside, what is the comparable software to Adobe Acrobat for advanced PDF editing and annotating?

Last edited:
I will name names. The software we use comes from Thomson Reuters, Wolters Kluwer, and Caseware International. Those were the products I was describing. These are all global/multinational corporations. They are standards in the industry for the company I'm working for. You can take your problems with their software up with these companies.

Feel free to tell entire industries that they shouldn't use Thomson Reuters, Wolters Kluwer, and Caseware International software because you're triggered and think these industries are doing it wrong.

Yes they're definately doing things ass backwards. This is typical for large corporations, once they veer off to the wrong direction it's a huge task to turn the boat.

Yes they're definately doing things ass backwards. This is typical for large corporations, once they veer off to the wrong direction it's a huge task to turn the boat.

But the consultants said it was the best solution for Mr.MBA to get promoted and be compatible with the two decades of consultant solutions they've been sold before now.

As a quick point, something I have recently learnt is that most new Office documents are using fonts called Calibri and Cambria, both of which, of course, are licensed by Microsoft and therefore cannot be used on Linux - As I've stated in the past, not having the right fonts throws the formatting of .docx files totally out of whack.

The fix is to use two metrically compatible fonts recently made by Google to rectify this issue. First of all you have to make sure you have the fonts installed, then use font substitution in Libreoffice to automatically substitute for the Microsoft fonts. This way layout will be improved and you (hopefully) won't constantly need to be swapping font settings when sending files back to Microsoft users.

See here for settings:

https://wiki.debian.org/Substitutin...AttachFile&do=get&target=LO_Options_Fonts.png

For Ubuntu/Mint/Debian users font packages are here:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fonts-crosextra-carlito fonts-crosextra-caladea

Thank you to one of the members of r/linux for this helpful compatibility information.

But the consultants said it was the best solution for Mr.MBA to get promoted and be compatible with the two decades of consultant solutions they've been sold before now.
LOL! We (IT Department) get "it's what our peers are using," "it's what our industry is using," "it's best of breed," and "it's what we know" as leadership's push-back.

I'm annoyed with my chosen field at the moment (server administration and escalated desktop support supporting mostly Microsoft).

LOL! We (IT Department) get "it's what our peers are using," "it's what our industry is using," "it's best of breed," and "it's what we know" as leadership's push-back.

I'm annoyed with my chosen field at the moment (server administration and escalated desktop support supporting mostly Microsoft).

It's clever marketing on behalf of Microsoft, laced with a little stupidity on behalf of the customer, propped up by laziness on behalf of the IT department....

"I'll use Microsoft because it's all I know...." Says the IT guy.

At least the animation industry runs pretty much solely on Linux because it works best for them.

I don't know about best but Mint 17.3 has been the easiest for a noob like me. Everything just works well, even my 7970. I did drop in the alternate AMD proprietary drivers that they suggested to use if you go that route. Haven't seen any tearing with videos etc. I do enable tear free in the CCC when I watch them streaming online etc. I did do an about:config edit on Firefox to change my vertical scrolling speed with my mouse wheel. Default is far too slow for me. Now I zip up and down pages fine like I did in Windows. I had a habit of altering the values there too.

I don't know about best but Mint 17.3 has been the easiest for a noob like me. Everything just works well, even my 7970. I did drop in the alternate AMD proprietary drivers that they suggested to use if you go that route. Haven't seen any tearing with videos etc. I do enable tear free in the CCC when I watch them streaming online etc. I did do an about:config edit on Firefox to change my vertical scrolling speed with my mouse wheel. Default is far too slow for me. Now I zip up and down pages fine like I did in Windows. I had a habit of altering the values there too.

Mint has been my goto distro if I want something with a GUI. What's really interesting about the newest version is that they aren't even hiding the fact that's it's built on top of Ubuntu LTS. Basically they take the best part of Ubuntu and put on a halfway decent GUI, make sure it has some extra tools for simplicity, and ship it out. All of the pieces are there for one compelling OS built upon Linux, people would just need to actually agree to make it happen.

If Ubuntu only did LTS versions and got rid of the crazy 6 month releases, kept their server edition and Mint merged their desktop in place of Ubuntu's I think they would actually have a product more people would get behind and support. Obviously Linux is all about choice but it would be nice is some compromises were made to unify the fragmentation. It's a pita if you have to sit down in front of a Linux system and have to figure out their way of doing things, where they decided to hide stuff in the filesystem, etc.

If only the Debian guys could figure out how to borrow the profiles from portage and put it into APT, then you could select a version upon installation and just use one common baseline. If you really wanted Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu or one of those just select it during install, or heck even just go into APT one day and tell it to change your profile. It should be able to download and configure one of the alternatives for you without destroying your system and let you try out the various different configurations of the same base. I'm pretty confident people could do that, not very confident that you could get the community together to actually pull it off.

Mint was the one I went with after I made this thread. It does exactly what your average windows user expects. It works.

First time I tried Linux Mint was because I was having sound issues with Ubuntu where some audio process was hung up and pegged out one of my CPU cores but Linux Mint worked fine. Just to see the state of Linux distros the other day I downloaded and tried the latest Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. but within the first 5 minutes noticed YouTube had no options for playing above 360p while Linux Mint had all the usual options. Another bonus is even with Cinnamon desktop environment it has the lowest memory footprint at under 400MB. So, if you want a Linux distro that just works as a Windows alternative, start with Linux Mint and you might not have a reason to try any other.

Linux Mint 17.3 is quite simply fantastic. You'll have to pry it out of my dead, cold hands.

I've virtually given Windows the flick these days, everything I want to do I can do under Linux, including numerous gaming titles.

I was playing Torchlight II the other day with my Windows mates, ran awesome! And I'm getting right into Portal 2 as I never really got into it when it was released.

I've still got a Windows 10 machine here, I just don't use it. I've set up a Windows 7 VM and an OSX VM using VirtualBox under Linux and that I use for the rare times I need Windows or OSX applications under Linux, which is very rare.

Last edited:
I'm with you fluid :) I've Mint 17.3 tweaked nicely now. I've always appreciated their team and they really won me over with this one.

I added Mirage for simple fast picture viewing. I love that app. Then I added SMPlayer as well. No, I didn't need them but I like them,
so I threw them in the mix with things like; Gwenview, gThumb, and VLC. I like SimpleScreenRecorder for creating videos from pix
off my desktop and sound files. I got use to doing that with WMCapture in Windows.

I've run Skyrim on Mint before with zero issues; yes, it is more responsive and I get better FPS under Win 7. I'm set to dual boot
so I can go to Win 7 if I like for better gaming. For everything else, I use Mint 17.3.

Last edited:
That is awesome Backlash, it's great to see a fellow x86/64 user that has the foresight to try an operating system that isn't Windows and actually post in a positive fashion! :)

Anyway, I have asked Kyle to close my account as the moderation of these forums is a little over the top for my liking, especially as a moderator on the OCAU forums where things are moderated in a considerably different manner.

Enjoy your Linux journey my friend!

Matt.

That is awesome Blacklash, it's great to see a fellow x86/64 user that has the foresight to try an operating system that isn't Windows and actually post in a positive fashion! :)

Anyway, I have asked Kyle to close my account as the moderation of these forums is a little over the top for my liking, especially as a moderator on the OCAU forums where things are moderated in a considerably different manner.

Enjoy your Linux journey my friend!

Matt.

Thanks. I'm enjoying it. Best wishes and good luck to you :)

-Nico

I updated one of my installations from from openSUSE 13.2 to openSUSE "Tumbleweed". I like the updated KDE mostly.

From this thread: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041974513&postcount=320

I now have Linux Mint installed with VMWare tools working. Now I have to determine which one I like best: Zorin or Mint. I did install Wine and have Office 2003 installed and working in Mint One piece was interesting for Office 2003: I could not get the service pack to install. It looked like it would, then comes back and says could not install.I guess it's not a big deal since the service pack is probably for security reasons which leads me to my next question: do I need any kind of anti-virus program? For Windows, you're a fool if you don't run one, and for Apple, they now have an AV app, but what about Linux systems?

I now have Linux Mint installed with VMWare tools working. Now I have to determine which one I like best: Zorin or Mint. I did install Wine and have Office 2003 installed and working in Mint One piece was interesting for Office 2003: I could not get the service pack to install. It looked like it would, then comes back and says could not install.I guess it's not a big deal since the service pack is probably for security reasons which leads me to my next question: do I need any kind of anti-virus program? For Windows, you're a fool if you don't run one, and for Apple, they now have an AV app, but what about Linux systems?

As long as you stick to official repositories you don't need an AV. Some people do run AV on linux but that's usually for scanning e-mails that are forwarded to windows boxes. Zorin seems nice at first for windows new comers but if/when you learn more about linux, it's quirks will start to annoy. At least it did to me.

I would be interested to know if slipstreaming service pack 3 into your Office 2003 would work.
Office System (2003) SP3 Slipstreaming

Back