"Best" laptop video solutions

mecdrox

Limp Gawd
I am wondering what the top of the line laptop video card solutions are out there.

What does ATI offer?

What does nVidia offer?

What does anyone else offer?

mecdrox said:
I am wondering what the top of the line laptop video card solutions are out there.

What does ATI offer?

What does nVidia offer?

What does anyone else offer?
ATi: x800xt

nVidia: 7800gtx

winner: nVidia

Although, ATi's new mobile GPU based on R520 is yet to be seen (but there is always something "on the horizon").

Everybody else pretty much offers crap.

yea the 7800gtx go on a laptop is sick, i was reading reviews of a pentium m 2.6ghz with a 7800gtx go smoking comparable desktop systems...ofcourse it was like 5grand though:p

It doesn't have to be $5g
Last Dell coupon I saw a week or two ago let me configure a XPS with a 2.26ghz P-M, 2GB DDR2, DVD+RW, geforce 7800, and 7200rpm hard drive for $2,800

jebo_4jc said:
ATi: x800xt

nVidia: 7800gtx

winner: nVidia

Although, ATi's new mobile GPU based on R520 is yet to be seen (but there is always something "on the horizon").

Everybody else pretty much offers crap.

Unfortunately, ATi is skipping putting the R520 in notebooks and going to the R580 instead. The PCI-sig remains the same though (M58). This makes it's release date sometime in 2006. nVidia will be the performance owner until then.

I have yet to figure out how to configure a dell with the 7800 for anything less then 4000.

*sigh*

I really like the idea that HP has with the remote and boot to a small *nix kernal for multimedia functions. But it has CRAP for video.

The only thing I can find close to my price rang is this acer on newegg.

*sigh*

Guess that is what I will end up going with. Unless someone else can find something better.

The best ATI card on mainstream laptops is mostly x700 which is crap compared to a 6800 GO or 7800 GO. Either one of these will in your laptop will give you pleasure.

I tired it. The best I seem to be able to do 2900.00. But then I have to pay for TAX on top.

*sigh*

mecdrox said:
I have yet to figure out how to configure a dell with the 7800 for anything less then 4000.

*sigh*

*sigh*

I configured and bought a Dell XPS M170 last tuesday. Specs are:
Pentium M 2.0 Ghz
2 Gb DDR Ram
Geforce 7800 go GTX
100 GB hard drive
17" UXGA truelife screen

$2840 including shipping, tax, an extra battery, a backpack, and a docking station.

Dude, u gotta use the coupons if u want to get a Dell. :D

yup the only problem with laptops is there LCD's response time. In games like CS, is really screws with your aim. But really My 9300 can run anything I throw at it with decent res, and details. In handles Fear, and COD 2 fine :D

I really apreciate your help in this.

two things got me down about buying the dell XPS.

1. Weight.
2. Price.

It would be nice if they put DVI out on those (like the acer from new egg)

I guess I will have to wait for a bit for the other laptop makes to get the 7800 videocard put in them.

mecdrox said:

1. Weight.
2. Price.

I guess I will have to wait for a bit for the other laptop makes to get the 7800 videocard put in them.

check out pctorque.com they have only intel based lappys with the nvidia go's atm but are getting in the AMD based laptops. They are cheaper than dell in some things plus most high end laptops are basically sagers :p.

I have two buds with the acer ferrari they love it however for gaming you won't feel sure of yourself.

I used to wonder why anyone would want such a thing.

Now that Hotels have free high speed internet, I play Enemy Territory and Guild Wars while on vacation. :cool:

The 7800go is by far the most powerful right now. If you are in the market the best deals are usually from Dell and you have to use a lot of rebates and coupons. Several sites like Techbargains, bensbargains.net and gotapex list new deals every week.

mecdrox said:

1. Weight.
2. Price.

Well, in regard to #1, the dell is 8.6 lbs vs. 6.3 for the Acer Ferrarri. I'll take the 2.3lb difference, especially considering that this is a notebook with a 17" screen. Good luck finding another 17 incher that weighs less. I've been carrying around a p3 "desktop replacement" notebook for 5 years that weighs ~12lbs, so this'll seem light to me.

In regard to #2, you can get the dell with 1 gb of ram instead of 2, and subtract ~$300 from the price I quote above. If you want to go with the 6800ultra (which still owns that X700 by a long shot) instead of the 7800 gtx, you can subtract another ~$350. Take away the extra battery and drop another $100, then take off the docking station and lose another $79. This puts it about level with the Acer in price (actually lower), with the 17" screen a bonus.

Finally, the XPS has DVI out.

If you don't like Dell, I can understand that. I personally don't care for them either. Just couldn't find another notebook with comparable features for the price I paid.

.::MAGE::. said:
check out pctorque.com they have only intel based lappys with the nvidia go's atm but are getting in the AMD based laptops. They are cheaper than dell in some things plus most high end laptops are basically sagers :p.

I have two buds with the acer ferrari they love it however for gaming you won't feel sure of yourself.

Huh. I had read that there was like under 10 manufactures of laptops and everyone else just rebaged.

So Sager . . . . . Shoot they got it closer to what I am looking for.

Are they anygood?

So check this out.

The Sager NP5720 is just about where I want to be. Price is right. (2,000) and the Weight is ALMOST there. I was hopeing for something around 6 pounds. But 7.5 is not far off.

You guys are awesome.

The question now is how is the product quality and the support.

SAGER.

Let me know what you guys know about them. Google dosn't turn up much but a BUNCH of resellers.

All the cool people that pay 4-5k for a new gaming laptop are buying a repainted Sager.

The Sager and the Dell XPS laptop are the best laptops in the 2-3k range PERIOD. Dell has better support.

The Dell isn't a bad laptop is well made and the Pentium M is not a P4 POS CPU it rocks :).

EDIT: I would defintely try an Acer Ferrari if I could get the 7800 GO. It's the perfect mid range lappy.

Back