Best IPS for all around?

push

Limp Gawd
So I'm looking for an IPS screen because I want a good all around screen.

I do a lot of gaming, web browswing, and software development. I'm not a super competitive gamer so I don't think I need 5000hz monitor to prevent any ghosting or tearing. Right now I'm gaming on Acer X203w's and they suit me just fine.

I was looking at the Dell 2412M and the asus PA248Q. Any other recommendations? I will be getting two, and prefer to stay 24" or less and < 400 unless it's worth the extra coin. Thanks!

If you want 16:10 to pick up some extra height, I heartily recommend the Dell 2209WA. You can still pick them up on eBay these days.

Love it so much I have a spare.

So when is the PB248Q coming to the US? Is the VS24AH-P similar, but not calibrated and with a poorer stand?

You are choosing the worng panel tech and panel size for your usage scenario. resolution is king in productivity scenarios and helps a lot for better gaming experience. Also IPS is probably the worst tech for software coding works, because of poor contrast and eye blazing brightness.

Focusing on 24" the benq 2411PT or the Eizo Foris FG2421: (120hz VA Panel) are best in class, but you gain nothing by keeping gaming and working at a cramped 1080p screen.

Once you go big you never go back.

Look for at least a 27" 2560x1440 monitor if you do a lot of coding, and for that price you can get a 39" 4k, that will skyrocket your productivity at work and is also a decent gamer at 1080p.

You are choosing the worng panel tech and panel size for your usage scenario. resolution is king in productivity scenarios and helps a lot for better gaming experience. Also IPS is probably the worst tech for software coding works, because of poor contrast and eye blazing brightness.

Focusing on 24" the benq 2411PT or the Eizo Foris FG2421: (120hz VA Panel) are best in class, but you gain nothing by keeping gaming and working at a cramped 1080p screen.

Once you go big you never go back.

Look for at least a 27" 2560x1440 monitor if you do a lot of coding, and for that price you can get a 39" 4k, that will skyrocket your productivity at work and is also a decent gamer at 1080p.
I say 24" because I just don't have the desk space for dual 27s, plus it just seems too big when gaming. You say don't get IPS, but isn't the 2411PT an AH-IPS panel? We have several 2414Hs here at work, and developers love them. I'll probably have one of the monitors mounted vertically for coding so that should give me more than enough real-estate on the "lower" resolution monitor. I'd love more pixels, but for the $$ I don't think they will make me THAT much more productive. I really hate the color\viewing problems of TN screens.

You want the Asus PB248Q (PRAD Review) or BenQ BL2411PT (PRAD Review) (English Review) both of which use higher LED PWM Dimming Frequencies (PWM Side Effects) than the PA248Q+U2412 and have lighter matte coatings while also offering better overall performance.
It doesn't appear any of these are available in the states.

Since I use these frequently and use them partly for work, thinking of opening up the pocket book a little and getting two of these. Anyone had any experience with these or other IPS at this price point that would be a better choice? I think I MIGHT be able to squeeze dual 27"s on my desk after measuring.

Asus PB278Q

I just got an HP 27xi for $250 on Amazon, the discount was available for a few hours. It's not back to $280, but if you're interested you should keep in mind they can go as low as $250. Like you, I also don't need the best of the best, just some decent IPS monitor for work and play. I should get it by Friday, I'll be sure to post my subjective (read: non technical) review shortly after that!

Since I use these frequently and use them partly for work, thinking of opening up the pocket book a little and getting two of these. Anyone had any experience with these or other IPS at this price point that would be a better choice? I think I MIGHT be able to squeeze dual 27"s on my desk after measuring.

Asus PB278Q

Didn't realize neither were available in NA. The next 2 best 24"=HP Z24i (may have matte coating-cross hatching) and Asus VS24AH

List of best 27" 1440p monitors. The PB278Q is not on the list. If you can fit 2x24" 16:10 monitors you can fit 2x27"16:9 monitors. The HP ZR2740W went on sale last week for 500$, it is also good but not worth the normal price of 700$.

Last edited:
You say don't get IPS, but isn't the 2411PT an AH-IPS panel?

I can't acess the translated prad.de article on the 2411PT at work, i do have a VA 2400PT, so i (wrongly!?) assumed that the 2411PT followed its predecessor .

Space: if you have space for a 24" you have space for a 27".
if you have space for dual 24", you are better off with a 39" 4k.

Resolution: as long as you can buy sub USD400 korean 27" or sub USD600 bigger brand 27" there is no excuse to do your code on a 1080p screen. Even if you were in europe it would be worth it to get a 39" 4k.

Comparing VA vs IPS for reading and coding: it is like comparing of an expensive an expensive plasma to a cheap LCD TV. Not only you have more contrast and better blacks, but you are able to utilize the screen at a much lower brightness, which will improve eye comfort even more. Even have a 30" available my wife wrote the 200 pages of her master degree using a 24" VA panel.:cool:

I do not know a cheap 27" 1440p VA panel, hence my advice to jump to 39" 4k TV for productivity.

Last edited:
Any love for the Eizo EV2436W?
This one just made it to the top of my short list. Seems like it's a great all-arounder. How is there warranty/return for dead pixels? I know with the dell ultrasharps it comes with the "premium display" warranty which is very nice to have.

Last edited:
The EV2436 uses LG's old grainy matte coating and the NEC EA244WMi suffers from matte coating cross-hatching and has a 360hz PWM Frequency. Look up manufacturers warranty and pixel policies on their sites. Buy from retailers with hassle free return+exchange policies (look this on up on their websites) like Amazon.

I may just say screw it and go with the u2412m. I'm sure my dell e6410 laptop uses PWM to control the screen and it doesn't bug me at all. The only other thing I may do is decide to go with the 2414h and stick with 16:9 and sacrifice the little extra bump in res for PWM free. Ugh, I hate new tech ;)

Ok I'm thinking I may do get two of the Asus PB278Q from Amazon. I'm a prime member, so if I have any problems I can have them take care of it. Opinions?

From what I have seen so far the Asus is the best all rounder along with the BL2411PT. I'd try the Asus myself.

Does anyone here have the Asus for fast paced FPS gaming?

The PB278Q uses LED PWM Dimming (PWM Side Effects) while the HP ZR2740W does not which also costs +/- 500$...
NCX - any other differences? I found a whole lot more positive for the Asus than the HP which seems to be a lot less popular. I'm not sure that I'd be affected by PWM, I work a lot with a dell e6410 which likely uses PWM for it's screen and don't have any problems sitting in front of it for hours on end.

It looks nice, but it's not 1900 x 1200; the original question was about all-around use. For 24" 16:10, it seems we're back to NCX's secondary recommendation of the HPz24i or the Asus VS24AH. Anybody seen either or both? Is the VS24AH the same screen as the PB248 but in a cheaper body?

According to dell the u2414h does NOT use PWM for dimming. These are really nice with virtually no bezel, I may have to give them a whirl. Especially since they are more readily available and cost what one vp2770 would cost me. lol The integrated dual display stand is a nice to have as well.

I posted my own thread asking for recommendations a little while back. However, I was able to get my old monitor working until now, but it looks like it is gone for good finally. It seems the final conclusion here is the Asus VS24AH-P (for someone who cannot afford a high quality 27" and/or to continuously upgrade their gaming system to the high-end for 1440p)? At least I assume the "Asus VS24AH-P" is the same as the stated "Asus VS24AH."

I am hearing reports that it is very (relative to other LED IPSs?) bright though. If this is the case, can the brightness simply be turned down - or will that mess up its picture and in effect eliminate its advantages? In which case, should I actually consider a "high-end" gaming 24" TN instead of the Asus VS24AH-P? For example, I hear BenQ XL2420TE is potentially the "best" monitor for reducing all eye-strain factors:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040290164&postcount=2

Thanks!

P.S.
I really do not think those other two monitors are EVER coming to North America. If I recall correctly, the Asus was announced in January, with PRAD's review coming out late July. People have directly contacted ASUS about NA-availability months ago with no ETA given in response. I think it is useless to wait for those monitors to come to NA.

Kind of hoping for a nice CM discount on one of these. My Mom needs a good all arounder for her bad eyesight.

Just pointing out to make sure no one accidentally gets confused:
The previous link is to the Asus VS248H-P, not the VS24AH-P (the one recommended by NCX)

My set of u2414hs get here on Wednesday. They are only 1080p though, but they are supposed to have a really thin border and not use PWM for dimming. I guess we'll find out.

The BenQ BL2411PT is beginning to reach Canada (ncix.ca) ... hopefully it also comes to the US soon. I am not overly optimistic though, as the ncix.us site does not even have the product listed (whereas it was listed on the ncix.ca site for a while, just without any stock until now).

My set of u2414hs get here on Wednesday. They are only 1080p though, but they are supposed to have a really thin border and not use PWM for dimming. I guess we'll find out.

Looking forward to your review.

I'm just frustrated myself. I want to give my Mother a gift for X-Mas: A good 24"-30" all around IPS WITH built in speakers that doesn't kill my bank. I'm having tough luck so far...

Looking forward to your review.

I'm just frustrated myself. I want to give my Mother a gift for X-Mas: A good 24"-30" all around IPS WITH built in speakers that doesn't kill my bank. I'm having tough luck so far...
Why not get the p2414h if it's for your mom? It's cheapish, and got good reviews. I believe it has a similar audio setup.

Back