Best in-ears ~$40

dehsA

n00b
Could you guys please recommend me some in-ear headphones for around $40? I don't live in the US so I'm not sure what sort of selection is available there.

This is a tiny bit over the ~$40 price you wanted (it's $49) but have a look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-NE-7M-Earphones-Headset-Compatible/dp/B001BL8BO4/

I use these and like them a lot, esp with the included foam tips--I would like to try them with triple flange tips but I haven't got around to it yet. Note: If you are a bass head though stay away from these. Also, check Head-Fi for reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just picked up some Altec Lansing UHP336 and they sound fantastic. Burning them in right now to help out with the bass...but cannot beat them for the price. Rebranded Ultimate Ears Super-fi 3 for far, far less. Amazon takes forever to deliver though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q7IA5E/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

These really sound fantastic, but you must burn them in for 24-40 hours playing bass-heavy loud music to get good bass from them.

I would get some of these foam tips too, as I'm not a fan of silicone tips personally. These do cost a little too much for my taste, but c'est le vie.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BN3QRE/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

These Sony ex71sl earbuds are pretty good too, had some for years and was highly impressed: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251767122&sr=1-1

Don't even approach how great the Altec Lansings sound though.

Last edited:
I'm waiting to get my Soundmagic PL-30's in the mail. They came recommended from a long thread at head-fi similar to this one. Here is a review from one of the members there. Only downside was the store with the best deal is in China, so I'm waiting a bit longer than an online order from the states would be.

I acutally own a pair of Nuforce NE-7Ms,
they are pretty good IEMS for the price.

My old roommate had some of them, and he was not a fan at all. I didn't think they were bad, particularly for the price, but he ended up getting some jbuds.

I didn't care for the jbuds at all, so it looks like we just had different subjective tastes. Highs on the Sennheiser seemed a bit tinny for me, but not terrible.

I've had the Sennheiser CX300 for a few years and I'm pretty happy with them, they've turned out to be much more durable than I figured they'd be and I like that they don't stick out as much as other IEMs... They are a little boomy or bass heavy but ehh. Just don't get 'em from a re-seller like the link someone posted above, there's a ton of knockoffs out there (these sold for $50+ originally)... You can get genuine ones from Amazon for like $25 so it's worth the extra $10 or so to know they're the real deal.

I've had the Sennheiser CX300 for a few years and I'm pretty happy with them, they've turned out to be much more durable than I figured they'd be and I like that they don't stick out as much as other IEMs... They are a little boomy or bass heavy but ehh. Just don't get 'em from a re-seller like the link someone posted above, there's a ton of knockoffs out there (these sold for $50+ originally)... You can get genuine ones from Amazon for like $25 so it's worth the extra $10 or so to know they're the real deal.

Yeah I saw them for $15 earlier today on Amazon.

Just make sure it's coming directly from Amazon, as they do host a lot of other stores under the same tent.

I ordered them directly from amazon for $15

And it is still being sold by amazon, look at the sellers on the right tab and you will find amazon.

Just saw that, I wasn't doubting ya... Could've swore they were selling for more the other day but you're right, they're currently $15 at Amazon. Definitely hard to beat them at that price imo.

Back