Best Headphones

FlowGaming

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
150
I am a noob to Headphones and what is good and what is back
(i have been using my $20 ones for about 2x years now :p )

So please include your choice as to what headset is the best and price
 
for gaming...I would go with ATH-A500 or 700.

The A700, with any X-Fi, un-amped works wonderfuly.

*search* will tell you the same.
 
yeah. you need to post a price range b/c there's good headphones at $30 up to $20,000 so yeah.

For gaming though

AudioTechnica A900 $160-200
Sennheiser 485, 555, 595 $70-190

All those work ok unamped.

Goto head-fi.com for most info.
 
HE90.JPG


for headset; theres a dt770 aviator edition i believe with a built in mic; best i personally know of at least (better out there?)
 
lol, I was wondering how long it would take for the orrfeeus pic. :D
 
Best Headphones are probably the Sennheiser HE90s.

They go for like $5000+
 
this must be the 1000'th thread asking the same question.

so, i'll respond with the same answer for the 1000'th time:
DT770pro 80ohm + clip on mic (In the sub 150$ category)

It'll take your gaming to the next level.
 
if you want a nice cheap pair of headphones, Koss KSC75's do the job.
 
well for gaming I personally like both the Beyer DT770 Pro/80's and the Senn HD595's. the Senns are a little better unamped though.

add a Zalman clip on mic to both and you've got yourself a great setup.
 
the HE90 sounds best out of the hearing impaired headphone jack at your local atm.

playlist is limited due to the source but hey there's no veil.
 
damn I thought I was the only one who did that! It almost makes them sound as good as my RS-1's!
 
I got a pair of the dt770pro/80 at towert7's suggestion on comfort. They are pretty damn nice. Got them for about 153 shipped from an ebay seller.

Of course now im hearing little sound errors in WoW that I never heard before. I suppose it could be underdriven. Im just using the onboard audio. Been thinking about getting one of those cheap CMOY or other DIY amps off ebay to give me a little more juice when I use my zune. It does not have the power to push those headphones by any means. Maybe the ipod is better at that but im not sure since I dont own one.
 
i love my HE60's

but the DT880s are nice too :D
 
Man, I've got to find a place to demo some headphones. I thought maybe Guitar Center would have some, but nah.

I'm thinking of grabbing a pair of k240's, because they are supposed to be good for chill music, stuff that's not punchy, which I listen to quite a bit, like Namlook or Richie Hawtin. But when you get to bass heavy stuff, they can get muddy. So then I think I should grab a pair of MS1's for everything else I listen to, but then I see that stuff like the A900 seems to be a good all around headphone. Then, I use a XPS laptop, so I'm thinking I should grab a usb dac to really take advantage of decent headphones and amp. Argh, my wallet already hurts in anticipation and I haven't bought anything more than a Yuin PK2 yet.

So then for fun, I'm looking to build a cmoy to get me started, so then I need things like a soldering iron, dmm, which I have a dmm somewhere, but wouldn't you know it, I can't find it, bah. Then I figure I should just get a govibe and move on, but building a cmoy looks like fun anyway.
 
I got a pair of the dt770pro/80 at towert7's suggestion on comfort. They are pretty damn nice. Got them for about 153 shipped from an ebay seller.

Of course now im hearing little sound errors in WoW that I never heard before. I suppose it could be underdriven. Im just using the onboard audio. Been thinking about getting one of those cheap CMOY or other DIY amps off ebay to give me a little more juice when I use my zune. It does not have the power to push those headphones by any means. Maybe the ipod is better at that but im not sure since I dont own one.

Just thinking about getting a CMoy is bad news for your wallet. You'll get one, then think how something >$100 will sound, then $300, then $600 then <$1000... It's ruthless...
 
this must be the 1000'th thread asking the same question.

so, i'll respond with the same answer for the 1000'th time:
DT770pro 80ohm + clip on mic (In the sub 150$ category)

It'll take your gaming to the next level.

Which is better for surround sound Gaming, open or closed Cans?
 
Well open headphones have bigger soundstage. As long as sounds don´t feel to distant they are better that way :).

Anyway I used to recommend DT 770 and A900 but can´t do that anymore. Without exaggeration they totally suck compared to my PRoline 750s... Not only do they run all over these headphones for EVERY kind of music they are unbeatable for gaming and movies as well. Only contender is other ULTRASones I would imagine.

The surround sound is way more accurate then both A900 and DT 770. They have a much wider soundstage can almost be misstaken for being open. Still isolate as well as the DT 770 and better then the A900 thus.

The bass goes lower then the DT 770 and have a much bigger impact. They are extremely versatile can play everything... Very detailed though nothing that hides flaws in music well.

2500 is the open variant of their reference headphones. Proline 650 is more geared towards listening to music then making music so is a bit more forgiving on bad recordings. They also have a bit more bass but not better bass. For me it would be to much I think I can´t boost the bass with the 750 or it get to much of the good really and I am a basshead...

The bass in these are so unreal the drivers is so fast the bass is so tight it´s not boomy at all unless it´s boomy in the recordings...

Only drawback with the 750 is it sounds so good you want to drive it with a lot of high end epxensive gear just to see if they can sound even better lol.... Just running with my Pimeta makes a world of difference with this phones and they sounds awesome unamped.
 
the Prolines also are sold out until march for the 750s, 2500s and E9s.

there's a reason they are sold out. they own.
 
Which is better for surround sound Gaming, open or closed Cans?

Um, that's up to personal preference.

To me? Personally I prefer closed. All else being equal, it isolates you much better and allows you to focus on the audio........ so the subtleties come through more (which you want for FPS games)
.
Though, to be honest, you can game on both open or closed and still have quite the advantage over someone with computer speakers.
 
Someday I have to seriously sit down with an ultrasone and listen to them. If only they didn't have those headbands............................. I'd really consider them.
 
Um, that's up to personal preference.

To me? Personally I prefer closed. All else being equal, it isolates you much better and allows you to focus on the audio........ so the subtleties come through more (which you want for FPS games)
.
Though, to be honest, you can game on both open or closed and still have quite the advantage over someone with computer speakers.

Agreed... going between my A700 and HD580 I far prefer my A700. It just gives a more intimate experience, everything sounds like its really happening around you. The isolation is nice to. Less distractions are a good thing.
 
I have no experience with them... but would love to try out some PS1's.

I am a basshead and unless if I can't get the bass impact on a set of Orpheus's then they are not the best "for me".

;)

best headphones is such a loaded question.
 
Just thinking about getting a CMoy is bad news for your wallet. You'll get one, then think how something >$100 will sound, then $300, then $600 then <$1000... It's ruthless...

I could see how that could happen for most people. In my case.. I have a bum ear.. (75%+ deaf) Just some good clean volume is all that I really require. I got the 770's for comfort, not for how they sound :) However I have never heard any headphone amp before, so I cant say for 100% certainty if I could tell the difference between the high end, and the DIY amps. Chances are the subtle differences.. the "lifting of veils of grain" "the verticle and horizontal soundstage widening" will be lost upon me anyway.

Ive been wondering lately though about my JVC receiver that has a USB jack for plugging in my pc. It sounded great through my Infinity setup.. far better than the onboard sound card in my old machine. Im just curious how the headphone jack on a full size reciever compares to a dedicated headphone amp. I honestly havent tried to pump up the volume on it to see what it can do with my headphones.
 
I have no experience with them... but would love to try out some PS1's.

I am a basshead and unless if I can't get the bass impact on a set of Orpheus's then they are not the best "for me".

;)

best headphones is such a loaded question.

GL on getting either of those....

Invite me over when you do :D
 
Um, that's up to personal preference.

To me? Personally I prefer closed. All else being equal, it isolates you much better and allows you to focus on the audio........ so the subtleties come through more (which you want for FPS games)
.
Though, to be honest, you can game on both open or closed and still have quite the advantage over someone with computer speakers.

I had a set of DT770 but needed to hear my little girl and couldn't:) But that was before the whole CMSS 3D and Dolby headphone deals. I won a set LOL! A bud made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I sold them. Yes it is a tuff question but I didn't mean it as such, just wanted your personal view. Thanks for the reply.
 
I have no experience with them... but would love to try out some PS1's.

I am a basshead and unless if I can't get the bass impact on a set of Orpheus's then they are not the best "for me".

;)

best headphones is such a loaded question.

Magnetik you should try a set of 2500 or 750 if you can´t afford the edition 9. The bass in these things is unbelievable. It goes lower than the DT 770 and the drivers is so fast the bass is super tight not bloaty while still having volume :)
 
Back
Top