Best headphones for $200 +/-?

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sorry, as I'm sure you get these types of threads a LOT. But I'm just gonna create a new one, since all the threads I've found didn't ask exactly what I'm looking for: a pair of 'phones for $200 (would prefer around $150, am okay with up to $250 if it's really worth it), good for electronica (I listen to many of the sub generas), great for gaming, and they have to be somewhat mobile (not looking for anything crazy light, just something that doesn't limit me to one place). This means I need something that doesn't need a DAC/AMP to sound good (I will be driving them with a laptop, a phone rarely, and a desktop the year after next).

So far I've been looking at:

Phillips X1
Beyerdynamic DT700 80ohm
Beyerdynamic DT900 250ohm (will need to ask Santa Clause for a amp)
Yamaha MT220 (the people who have them seem to love them, but few people have them)
Shure 440s

P.S. Don't limit yourself to that $200. As said, I'm more then willing to do $250 if it's really worth it. But if it's only slightly better then a similar $200 pair, I'm not gonna do it.

Last edited:
Philips X1. They are a fantastic 'fun' headphone perfectly suited for EDM. Doesn't require an amp and can be found for ~$250. I highly recommend this and feel it's very much worth that extra cost!

If you wanted to go a bit cheaper, the HiFiMan HE-300's look to be the best deal at $150, also maybe the SoundMagic HP100/200 (200's are on massdrop for $150), or the Beyerdynamic DT990 w/amp like you mentioned.

I'm not too crazy about the HD598s, they are capable but for that style music you would be better suited looking elsewhere. Also the DT770s haven't really grabbed me in terms of sound. I can't really comment on the Yamaha's and I haven't tried the Shure's but they are known to be analytical and not as much 'fun' for music like EDM.

I was just getting ready to add the X1s, they sound like they may be the pair for me. The MSRP is definitely to much and $250 probably is to, but I can prolly find them used for $200.

I also go ahead and get rid of the HD 598s. The Hifimans I don't think are really for me, they look massive.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.

Have you considered the Audio-Technica A900X? I've had them for about 2 years now and they're my favorite pair. They're 42ohm so they sound great directly from a phone or from my 2011 MacBook Air, which is how I use them most of the time. Price has gone up on them, I got mine for ~$150 and the cheapest I saw online was around $190. Most closed-back phones have a "narrow soundstage" and thus don't game well, while most open-back phones have weak bass. The A900X is a nice compromise - closed-back with great bass, but also has a relatively wide soundstage and thus great for gaming. People tend to love or hate the "wing"-type pad system, but it works great for me. The only downside I can see is they're not super portable, they don't fold up, the earcups are pretty large, and the cord is rather long.

Some links:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650785/audio-technica-ath-a900x-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608889/audio-technica-ath-a900x-discussion-thread-formerly-a-900x-review

Note that Audio-Technica has several similar models, the A700X (lower model, cheaper) and the open-back AD700X and AD900X, if gaming is really your priority, though people complain about them (the AD700(X) in particular) having almost no bass. There's also gaming versions (AG1 and ADG1) that include a mic and some sort of in-line DAC/AMP and run closer to $300 (ouch!).

Those seem nice, but they look like they may be to big. Also, no removable cable so I'm stuck with a long straight one :(

Yep, they're not made to be super-portable, but they hit a lot of other items on your wishlist so I figure'd I'd sing my praises :D

If you are looking at harder-to-drive phones and need an amp on the cheap, you might consider building an O2 - it was a fun project for me, sounds terrific, and can be used on-the-go.

Have you considered the ATH-M50X? They're around $170, detachable cables in various lengths, foldable, 38ohm, and widely praised for sound quality. Made for studio use so they grip the head a bit tightly, but otherwise in your ballpark.

Well I'll look into them, thanks for sharing.

Yeah I've looked into the M50xs. To small if a soundstage otherwise I would have picked them up long ago.

Also why I avoided the M50X so we're in the same boat there.

I'll throw out one more idea: Mad Dogs from Mr. Speaker, $300. Awesome guy so I'll give a shameless plug ;) I hear all kinds of rave reviews on these, don't know about the soundstage tho.

https://mrspeakers.com/

+ for Beyerdynamic. I have the DT880 pro's and they are some of the most comfortable nicest open headphones I have ever had. Also extremely sturdy, only reason I upgraded from my Sennheiser HD555's was the cracking headband.

Best headphones for the price is Jvc ha-rx900. By far the best headphones Ive used for the price. Used over 10 high price cans. Still have a few. But these are now my go to cans. Will never sell these or get rid of them. I have the dt 990s, cant get rid of those ethier. AT 700x is a great pair I cant get rid of ether.

You want the Phillips X1.

I would also strongly suggest that you consider a portable dac/amp in the future. Good ones can be had for around the same price as the headphones and will give you even more punch and detail to the sound.

Well at $250 that's actually quite expensive. But yes, I was planning in getting a Magni/Modi combo eventually. X1s are still my top contender, but I was looking at the Q701s. How are they? They're closed, apparently good for gaming, and I can get them used for pretty cheap.

I would go with Sennheiser momentum over ears if you can find them for $50. They work great without an amp. The Beyer line is great too. I have the DT990 currently and have had the DT770, T90, and T1. All fantastic :)

You want the Phillips X1.

I would also strongly suggest that you consider a portable dac/amp in the future. Good ones can be had for around the same price as the headphones and will give you even more punch and detail to the sound.

Recommend the X1 as well. I fucking love it. It runs well without an amp but its a smart purchase for the future. Don't be cheap with your headphone purchase. How many do you plan to buy in the next 5+ years? Exactly.

I would get the X1 while you can because Philips isn't making newer model and will be discontinuing it probably in the next year or so.

Also Q701's are extremely picky with amps and require lots of power to hit their range well. They also are pretty bass "light" and have little impact. Excellent sound stage but absolutely no portable use without portable amp/dac. Not as comfortable as the X1's either. Cheaper construction (lots more plastic..) compared to the X1.

Well at $250 that's actually quite expensive. But yes, I was planning in getting a Magni/Modi combo eventually. X1s are still my top contender, but I was looking at the Q701s. How are they? They're closed, apparently good for gaming, and I can get them used for pretty cheap.

The 701s are not closed. More like semi open. They are awesome for gaming but you will find them lacking in the bass department and they really need a good amp and source to do their best. Think of the X1 as a headphone + amp combo bc it can play just fine out of anything. So the extra money they cost is actually like buying a pair of headphones and an amp. Just trust us on this one. ;)

p.s you can always look to head-fi FS area for a used X1. Not sure if there are any but those dudes are constantly trying new gear so there might be someone selling theirs.

I'll take a look. Thanks guys, the X1s seem to be the way to go. DT770s (80 ohm) are my second choice if the shit hits the fan an I don't have enough cash.

Is there any better second choice?

I went on a headphone buying spree as of late... beware they are addicting.

One set I would look at are the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ears. I got a pair as I found a good deal and seemed like a decent portable option... sadly my wife stole them. They are a great headphone though they are a smidgen too small for my ears but they are still comfy enough when I get to use them.

The Beyerdynamic options I have tried I never fell in love with, but a lot of people do. I do want to try the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro as they seem to be a fun headphone.

Mostly using IE80s for portable stuff, and HE-500s on my home workstation. The Momentum's were supposed to be my closed portable can... so I may be shopping for another option since I lost those.

The Momentums seem to be overly portable if you get what I'm saying. Portability before sound quality.

Loved my SRH440s, the soundstage and clarity was impecabbly precise. Then I upgraded to the SRH840 model, and it just blew everything away. The stage is twice as wide now, and the bass response improved a lot. More comfortable too! Keep in mind though that I use an audio interface to power and convert the signal at higher bit and sample rates. Also, never MP3s.

I really liked the DT990 headphones too, but the looks never did it for me. Might fit you though.

Yeah looks ain't real important to me for this pair.

Okay guys, somebody just offered me either BNIB Beyer DT990 32 Ohm or used HE 400s for my phone. Which one should I take? I know the 990s are pretty great from what you've guys said in the thread, but how about HE 400s?

You will need proper amplification to get the best out of the HE-400s. I could be mistaken, but I believe you need an amp that can provide sufficient current to drive them properly. Edit: Seems I am mistaken. You need an amp with sufficient voltage.

The Beyers will be more comfortable and can be driven from portable sources, i.e. no need for proper amplification, although they might sound better with a decent amp.

If you can, try auditioning both of them with your current setup and see which one you like more.

Last edited:
You will need proper amplification to get the best out of the HE-400s. I could be mistaken, but I believe you need an amp that can provide sufficient current to drive them properly. Edit: Seems I am mistaken. You need an amp with sufficient voltage.

The Beyers will be more comfortable and can be driven from portable sources, i.e. no need for proper amplification, although they might sound better with a decent amp.

If you can, try auditioning both of them with your current setup and see which one you like more.

Wouldn't be possible.

Zoson, show me a review comparing them to other good $270 headphones, like Phillips X1s or DT990s.

Wouldn't be possible.

If you can't test them, and only are considering those two, then if you wish to buy a proper headphone amp, go with the HE-400s. If not, then get the DT990s. The DT990s will be more comfortable and are definitely a very good set of headphones. The HE-400s, with proper amplification will most likely be better, but less comfortable. The HE-400s will have better bass and the DT990s better highs.

Hmm, this is hard. No matter which pair I get it will sound 1000 times better then what I've listened to before. So far I'm leaning towards the Beyers, but I'm nit sure why. I will be getting something like a Magni/Modi combo in 2 years, maybe a Fiio E17 within a year. And from what I've heard its not like I need a amp right away for the HEs.

If I am rough with cable (I wont be very rough but I'm gonna ask anyways), would I be okay on the Beyers? I'm not worried about the HiFimans since they have a removable cable. The Beyers seem like very durable phones overall, but the non-removable cable scares me.

Forgot to note: The HE 400s are used, the Beyers new.

Okay, to me it seems like HE 400s are just a much better choice.

If anybody thinks otherwise with good reason, better let me know now as the trade is going to happen very soon.

Okay guys, somebody just offered me either BNIB Beyer DT990 32 Ohm

I tried out a DT990 600ohm and strongly disliked it. To my ears I found them harsh and sibilant to the point of being unlistenable. And that's coming from someone who doesn't mind a slightly bright headphone, but there was just no preparing for or getting used to that audio onslaught. Good luck on your choice.

I actually decided to go with the 990s due to the fact they are easier to drive without a amp (which could be a year until I get one, and even then I'm not getting one that's mobile for my laptop and phone), and I heard the HEs had practically no sound isolation either way (hear outside sounds very easily, and people outside hear sound from the headphones even better then 990s). Plus, the fact that they are BNIB is a big plus.

And John, I'm hoping they don't seem to sibilant to me. If they do I'll just have to EQ the higher frequencies down (that's what I'm supposed to do right, if the sibilance is to much?)

I actually decided to go with the 990s due to the fact they are easier to drive without a amp (which could be a year until I get one, and even then I'm not getting one that's mobile for my laptop and phone), and I heard the HEs had practically no sound isolation either way (hear outside sounds very easily, and people outside hear sound from the headphones even better then 990s). Plus, the fact that they are BNIB is a big plus.

And John, I'm hoping they don't seem to sibilant to me. If they do I'll just have to EQ the higher frequencies down (that's what I'm supposed to do right, if the sibilance is to much?)

Ugg. Late to the party.

I've owned both. The HE's are just a better overall headphone. BUT they are very uncomfortable. The HE's are wide open like has been stated. Like people 10 feet away will know what you are listening to.

The 990's are very sibilant. You will need to EQ them down a bit no doubt. Like as been said, you will hear little difference with an amp. They are VERY comfortable.

I would go with the HE's as my 1st choice all being said.

Well I have a reasonably loud family, and while I don't listen to anything offensive, I would rather them not hear everything from that far away. And the main thing is that I don't want to hear them that loudly.

How about under $100 wireless?.
I own a Sony MDR 925 RK over the ear and happy with sound quality only that now i need a second pair and the 925s have been discontinued

Thank you

Ugg. Late to the party.

I've owned both. The HE's are just a better overall headphone. BUT they are very uncomfortable. The HE's are wide open like has been stated. Like people 10 feet away will know what you are listening to.

The 990's are very sibilant. You will need to EQ them down a bit no doubt. Like as been said, you will hear little difference with an amp. They are VERY comfortable.

I would go with the HE's as my 1st choice all being said.

I don't find mine to be uncomfortable with the velour pads, although, some are now replacing their pads with the Focus Pad/Focus Pad-A (HE-560 stock pads) which they say are very comfortable. I just don't feel like shelling out another $40 for more pads when I just bought the velour ones.

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=198

I don't find mine to be uncomfortable with the velour pads, although, some are now replacing their pads with the Focus Pad/Focus Pad-A (HE-560 stock pads) which they say are very comfortable. I just don't feel like shelling out another $40 for more pads when I just bought the velour ones.

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=198

It's the pads, headband and weight which was the problem for me.

It's the pads, headband and weight which was the problem for me.

Headband didn't bother me much and I could put on a replacement but you're definitely right about the weight. It's like putting on a concrete block.:p

Back