Best Harmony remote

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently, I have a Harmony 670, which I LOVE. I have noticed lately that the buttons feel like they are "sticking". Not the kind of sticking where there is something in there (I have taken it apart many times to clean it over the years). Sticking like the non-responsive sticking of the keys being worn out.

While I will take it apart again to check it out, it might be time to start looking for a replacement.

What is the best Harmony in the $100-$150 price range? Cheaper is fine, but I don't want to sacrifice functionality. I know that I definitely want a "one handed" remote, versus something like the 1100, which is exclusively 2-handed.

Note: I guess I don't have to stick with Harmony. I know URC makes some nice remotes also, but I know next to nothing about them. Last I knew, you had to program them the old-fashioned way vs using something like the Harmony software.

Last edited:
My Harmony 650 stopped working after a couple of years, last month. I replaced it with the 700 which is basically the same, but also is rechargeable. It works great. I found a few new ones on eBay for $75 shipped. Not sure if any are left.

I don't understand why the Harmony remotes don't generate more buzz on the net outside of AV forums. I picked up a 650 a couple of weeks ago, and this is the greatest thing since buying my Aquaero fan controller.

Isn't the 650 limited to 8 devices though? Or 5? One review, I swear it said 5. I need more than that.

I don't understand why the Harmony remotes don't generate more buzz on the net outside of AV forums. I picked up a 650 a couple of weeks ago, and this is the greatest thing since buying my Aquaero fan controller.

Well, why should they? What do they do? Still a bit confused about their purpose.

Well, why should they? What do they do? Still a bit confused about their purpose.
Universal remote controls that can be programmed from your computer. Replace up to 10 remotes, depending on the model. Some can control stuff like home lighting, even simple appliances.

People either don't want to program the thing. People who aren't afraid of programming them are putoff by the over-pricing.

I've owned my 880 for about 10 years now. The volume down button works only 1/10 times, so I am still using the 880 with my receiver's remote, but it's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. Programming is painless if you don't need customization.

I tried the new Harmony Smart Hub/Remote and I returned it yesterday. Just is not as good as the 880.

OP: I looked locally on Kijiji and new/used run from $50 - $100.

I have a Harmony One and I wouldn't give it up for the world. It's a shame it was discontinued for the touchscreen remote. FWIW, I got my One about 9 months ago by piecing together random parts. I found a bare remote for $47, an OEM dock for $15, and two third-party batteries w/ a wall charger for $20. Cost me a total of $82 to piece together a kit, and at the time I couldn't find a used complete, undamaged setup for under around $120.

If this remote went out on me tomorrow, I'd buy another used One before considering something else in the Harmony lineup. It rocks.

Well, at it's heart it's a universal remote, but as was said it's programmed through a computer, and more importantly can be customized to your hearts content. You can set up 1-click activities to turn on multiple devices and switch to the correct inputs for a given device automatically. In addition, you can set custom commands, delays, remap individual keys on the remote, etc.

For example, I have a 360 thats used pretty much exclusively for Netflix and such. When I start the Xbox activity, the remote knows to turn on my TV, turn on my AV receiver, switch the AV receiver to input 3, turn on an HDMI switch, set that HDMI switch to input 1, and then turn on the 360. Once everything is on, it knows that the directional pad, play, pause, seek, etc. commands all need to be sent to my Xbox, but the volume controls need to be sent to my AV receiver.

It's very convenient to not have multiple remotes, and the amount of programming that can be done means that with a little bit of time invested, there is no reason why everything in your media center shouldn't operate 100% the way you want it to.

Also, it's been a godsend for my wife. She's not really a technology idiot, but she also wasn't a fond of figuring out what remote what remote did what and what device needed to be on what input for everything to work right. Having a receiver with an additional separate HDMI switch really threw her through a loop. Now all she has to know is pick up the remote and press the button on the screen that corresponds with what she wants the TV to do. Everyone wins :D

Has anyone had good luck with a harmony (or any other quality remote not from china) working with a HTPC?

If I could get decent functionality in windows +XBMC I would pay a good sum of money for it.

Has anyone had good luck with a harmony (or any other quality remote not from china) working with a HTPC?

If I could get decent functionality in windows +XBMC I would pay a good sum of money for it.

Yep. I have a receiver from a different MCE remote. It was in the Logitech database. I use it for Plex, works great.

Yep. I have a receiver from a different MCE remote. It was in the Logitech database. I use it for Plex, works great.

What about in windows? Navigating to a stream site, youtube, or hell even just getting plex open?

What about in windows? Navigating to a stream site, youtube, or hell even just getting plex open?

That's exactly what I use my Harmony with.

I have Windows 7 MC. I set it so that Windows automatically signs on, and starts MC, so the desktop is never seen (should the wife or kids have to reboot). I am pretty sure you could do the same with Kodi/XBMC/Plex.

For navigating to a stream site, I use a wireless keyboard, unless there is an app that I can add in to Media Center. YouTube has an app for sure.

I use a MediaGate IR receiver, and just leave the original remote behind the TV.

With the Harmony, you can assign keyboard commands to the soft keys....so if you know how to do it 100% by keyboard, you can program the Harmony to do it.

I've never tried. I don't know how you'd accomplish that. I have a handheld keyboard for use outside plex

Well, at it's heart it's a universal remote, but as was said it's programmed through a computer, and more importantly can be customized to your hearts content. You can set up 1-click activities to turn on multiple devices and switch to the correct inputs for a given device automatically. In addition, you can set custom commands, delays, remap individual keys on the remote, etc.

For example, I have a 360 thats used pretty much exclusively for Netflix and such. When I start the Xbox activity, the remote knows to turn on my TV, turn on my AV receiver, switch the AV receiver to input 3, turn on an HDMI switch, set that HDMI switch to input 1, and then turn on the 360. Once everything is on, it knows that the directional pad, play, pause, seek, etc. commands all need to be sent to my Xbox, but the volume controls need to be sent to my AV receiver.

It's very convenient to not have multiple remotes, and the amount of programming that can be done means that with a little bit of time invested, there is no reason why everything in your media center shouldn't operate 100% the way you want it to.

Also, it's been a godsend for my wife. She's not really a technology idiot, but she also wasn't a fond of figuring out what remote what remote did what and what device needed to be on what input for everything to work right. Having a receiver with an additional separate HDMI switch really threw her through a loop. Now all she has to know is pick up the remote and press the button on the screen that corresponds with what she wants the TV to do. Everyone wins :D

This is probably the best explanation I've seen. It is really nice for the WAF, when they can just hit one button, and all the tech takes care of itself (for the most part...sometimes something doesn't turn on/off/etc). If she had to use multiple remotes, the TV would be on standard definition, using the TV speakers 95% of the time.

I was looking on eBay, and just missed out on another 670 for $46. I like the 670 (although there are things I would change) and the layout of it.

Well, I'm always looking for new things to try and I'm a programmer as is so naturally I have no issues with programming. What's the language you use? Is it LUA? I used LUA on my Logitech G710+ to make a few b--- err macros. Fairly robust. How does it know how to interface with your device? Does it have a repository of commonly sent remote signals and then you can program it to use a combination of those to reach the program?

I have Crunchyroll and Funimation so what I would like to do is be able to control those while they're playing back (though I'm not really holding out hope considering I bet this thing's interface with flash-based browser apps will be awkward). Plus my Samsung Smart Plasma that's in my room comes with this weird remote that doesn't work for controlling the CR app. I'm hoping this would let me do it, too. Maybe also control the PS3.

How does it work for controlling the mouse?

Also what's the best deal (features vs price) for one of these at the moment? I see a few used 800's on Amazon for like 50 bucks, but they're not fulfilled by Amazon.

Well, I'm always looking for new things to try and I'm a programmer as is so naturally I have no issues with programming. What's the language you use? Is it LUA? I used LUA on my Logitech G710+ to make a few b--- err macros. Fairly robust. How does it know how to interface with your device? Does it have a repository of commonly sent remote signals and then you can program it to use a combination of those to reach the program?

I have Crunchyroll and Funimation so what I would like to do is be able to control those while they're playing back (though I'm not really holding out hope considering I bet this thing's interface with flash-based browser apps will be awkward). Plus my Samsung Smart Plasma that's in my room comes with this weird remote that doesn't work for controlling the CR app. I'm hoping this would let me do it, too. Maybe also control the PS3.

How does it work for controlling the mouse?

Also what's the best deal (features vs price) for one of these at the moment? I see a few used 800's on Amazon for like 50 bucks, but they're not fulfilled by Amazon.

No proper programming experience required. For my 670, it came with the MyHarmony Software. Later models use the MyHarmony website. Both have a HUGE database of devices. The Activities macros are made within the software. You tell it which device you want to control, and what function on that device...then step 2, step 3, etc. The interface for my 670 is miniUSB.

I have no experience with Crunchyroll or Funimation, but it probably won't work well. Anything that requires a mouse, it won't work well with, as it has no mouse control functionality. If you know a keyboard command, it can send that no problem however. For the PS3, you would just have to buy the Logitech Harmony IR Receiver.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Harmony One and I wouldn't give it up for the world. It's a shame it was discontinued for the touchscreen remote. FWIW, I got my One about 9 months ago by piecing together random parts. I found a bare remote for $47, an OEM dock for $15, and two third-party batteries w/ a wall charger for $20. Cost me a total of $82 to piece together a kit, and at the time I couldn't find a used complete, undamaged setup for under around $120.

If this remote went out on me tomorrow, I'd buy another used One before considering something else in the Harmony lineup. It rocks.

Isn't the Harmony One touchscreen? I'm confused.

Isn't the Harmony One touchscreen? I'm confused.

Well, yes, it has a touchscreen, but it's not a focal point for the remote. You use it for things like choosing an activity, overriding what device to control, etc. Beyond that, you don't need to use the touchscreen to actually interact with your devices (unless there is a particular command you want that isn't mapped to a button). The One puts more emphasis on using the physical buttons than the touch remotes do. It also has significantly more physical buttons that can be programmed to whatever you want them to be.

Another vote for Harmony 650 here. Have gone through 2 of them, and original Harmony several years back, and got my parents on a 650 also. Very simple, very easy to use. ~$55 on Amazon currently too.

And this whole time I thought I was the only one with a slowly failing harmony 650. The keys are sticking, its slow to wake up, crappier response and reboots.

I may get the 700, but what I would really like is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Ha...411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e79845c5b

Its a shame they stopped making it, IMHO its the best one they made that has traditional remote looks and keys.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are set on Harmony then the 650 or 700 are good remotes.

My Harmony 1100's keypad finally gave up the ghost after about 4.5 years of use. Of course, the keypad isn't available as a replacement part, so I went searching for another Harmony remote. I stumbled across the Acoustic Research X-Sight ARRX18G remote on eBay for $46 and took a chance. The X-Sight came out about the same time as the Harmony 900/1100 and is a wand-type remote with IR/RF and Macro support. The EZ-RC software is similar to the Harmony software but is browser-based and requires IE to use. There is also 3rd party JP-1 software ( Remote Master ) available for more in-depth programming and support of multiple program sets saved to a local PC instead of stored offsite, like the Harmony program sets.

I bought two of the remotes and happy with the remotes so far. They are faster than the Harmony 700/900/1100 series and can do full macros. Most folks with these remotes use the web-based software or the in-remote software to do a basic setup and then install Remote Master to tweak and refine. The Harmony remotes are easier to set up but limited in what they can do.

Harmony One, and it's my first Logitech or programmable remote, so not much to compare it to. However, no problems thus far and all members of the family can easily navigate various devices without problems.

Isn't the 650 limited to 8 devices though? Or 5? One review, I swear it said 5. I need more than that.

It was 5 for a long while, then a patch upped it to 8. Though if you had used the old software to configure and old harmony (had several) and then port the profile over to the 650 in the new browser based software, you could have unlimited devices.

650 is a great, simple remote that is also not very pricey.

I've got 4 Harmony 300i remotes (equivalent of the newer Harmony 350s).

Those are my go to.

My TVs auto turn off after a while, in case someone falls asleep watching TV. This makes using the activity based Harmony's more of a pain/require more button presses at times than with the 300s.

I have 1 Harmony 650 relegated to a third bedroom.

Eh, I loved them when I had my 550, but my 750 is much shittier (crappy buttons, crappy layout). Half the keys require obscene amounts of pressure to register now, so half the time you push the button and nothing happens. Plus they decided to add a bullshit limitation to the number of devices so they can force people to buy more expensive remotes, while increasing price and decreasing quality. It's unfortunate since the idea is awesome and the device list/customization is amazing.

I also use a WMC receiver and use the remote to control XBMC. System uses like 20 watts idle, so I just leave it on all the time.

I've owned the Harmony 1100 touch screen, as well as the Harmony one, but now I've got the Harmony Smart Control, which consists of a small puck and a simple little remote, but this thing has zero lag compared to the other 2 I've owned. Also they can be programmed without having to plug anything in (VIA WiFi), AND there's an App for both Android and iPhone/iPad that will also communicate with the puck, turning your phone/tablet into a remote. Those are all nice features, and there are more I haven't listed, but the best thing hands down for me was the lack of the lag between button push, and something happening, that was present on my other 2 Harmony remotes.

Back