Best Graphics of 2014?

Best Real time graphics of 2014 platform independent.

• Total voters
havent fired it up yet, but from what ive read Ethan Carter probably takes it. Shadows of Mordor can also look fairly impressive.

Having played most of them (obviously not GTA V), I'd say either Ryse or AC:U, with Unity edging it out by a bit.

Honestly, I was disappointed with Dragon Age: Inquisition's graphics.

AC Unity as well, though what I've seen in-person of Forza Horizon 2 left me extremely impressed.

Only played a tiny of of Far Cry 4. Played Last Light, but not Redux (doesn't seem to look much better from videos). Would like to see Unity myself; although the screen shots/videos I see look mixed. Crysis 3 looks better, but seeing the game in person always looks better. So I can't really comment or vote.

A:I should be on the list, too. The attention to detail in replicating the first film's low-fi tech is jaw-dropping.

1. Dark Souls 2

2. Wasteland 2

3. Warface

4. Destiny looked good but worse game ever =)

5. Rift Nightmare Tide DLC

6. Lords of the Fallen

What kind of BS list is this? No option for Minecraft? Name a single game that looks better. Protip: You can't.

I went with Inquisition, but only just because it's a fairly weak field. AC and FC4 could have been there, but they're so ridden with issues, that only applies to stills. Didn't play Ryse, so I dunno about that one.
Inquisition isn't great, but the large areas look great and animate well.
BF4 and Crysis 3 look better than any of those.

Best looking interiors in a game, period. Unity is breathtaking in some areas.

Also thread needs more pix

pics from chromatic9 on neogaf
wRkb.jpg

xRkb.jpg

As a playable game I have to say DA:I takes the crown easily.

For me it's Shadow of Mordor BUT I have not played DA:I or AC:Unity.

Gotta love the detailed orcs.
i1iFUcwBkpW5v.jpg

ikMFG52sRMZXP.jpg

Environments are quite good too but I'd wish that cut scenes would have been real time and not pre-rendered movies.
ihvT6K3GNnjln.jpg

A:I should be on the list, too. The attention to detail in replicating the first film's low-fi tech is jaw-dropping.
I love the game's aesthetic, but if we're talking solely about graphical fidelity, I think Unity outclasses it. There's just more complexity in most of the those scenes.

Isolation is definitely the best example of filmic rendering I've seen so far, though. They spent a lot of their shader budget on filmic effects alone.

From what I've played I would say Shadow of Mordor. Though Ryse on PC does seem to have the crown this year based on the screenshot's I've seen. Still nothing tops Crysis 3.

If AC:Unity had better lighting I would say it looks pretty good, but to me it looks like they tried to attempt to make it look realistic but failed with the colors and lighting, the physics in unity are pretty good though.

Nothing was that impressive this year TBH. Hopefully next year we see something better than Crysis 3.

Last edited:
Shouldn't this be in "General Gaming"?

I don't play a lot of those types of games, but of types I do play, I'd vote for Assetto Corsa, or Star Citizen.

Playing FC4 and Shadows Of Mordor and SoM is more impressive to me. FC4 is decent, but I really think its overrated graphics wise. The whole thing feels like FC3 looks and game play wise IMO of course.

Probably the best thing about Crysis 3 is that it runs pretty well and looks like a million bucks even with the details turned down.
A lot of other games with killer graphics really fall off if you don't have them cranked all the way up.

I wouldn't say it had the best graphics overall, but the amount of visual pizzazz and panache that Wolfenstein: TNO had in action (especially the moon base level) was pretty nice. Certain aspects to the game's graphics were a little dated, but taken as a whole and with the artistic design, this game had more of a visual impact on me than anything else I played this year.

Also, it's not done yet, so isn't really a 2014 game, but Star Citizen is already looking pretty stunning in a lot of ways. Once they flesh out that renderer more, and allow more options, I don't think there will be a lot to top it.

One more oddball while I'm at it. Bayonetta 2 is absolutely gorgeous!

I voted Ryse over FC4 because of less pop-in/aliasing and more realistic looking humans. I'm not counting animation. My third choice is AC:U, but like some others have said it has a less realistic, almost cartoony, look to it.

A lot of these are impressive though, but of course there are other not on the list and some from 2013 that look better.

Out of those I think unity looked the best, mostly due to the lighting.

Ryse had too many recycled assets with little variety in them. How many times do you kill the exact same highly detailed identical fat guy in this game?

Dragon age has to be the ugliest out of those. Just hideous design.

Ryse gets my vote, I was amazed how well it looked at max settings at 4K, though it was unplayable but I was quite impressed how visually well it looked and the beauty of CryEngine.

Alien Isolation should have been on this list. While the graphics range from good to holy crap, the last level sealed the deal for me. I completed the game just now and I'm just blown away at the graphics for the last level, when you're outside the space station. It was almost cg like and the first game that I can recall where it actually didn't even look like a video game. So, yeah, my vote goes to Alien Isolation.

No Vanishing of Ethan Carter? OP please fix this as soon as possible, the list is utterly useless without the real winner.

AC: Unity gets my vote but the textures in Vanishing of Ethan Carter were amazing...hopefully The Division will come out in 2015 and take the crown from Crysis 3...the videos of that game look photorealistic

Vanishing of Ethan Carter had amazing architecture, it wasn't just the textures (though they were amazing as well).

Also, just noticed the GTA V PC guess option. Really? No chance of salvation for this thread.

Also, just noticed the GTA V PC guess option. Really? No chance of salvation for this thread.

These types of threads never work anyway.

The main flaw is that most people haven't played all the games, thus vote on what they have played. Any console game, or a game like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and honestly Dragon Age: Inquisition, has no place being in a thread about best graphics. And as others have mentioned, there are plenty of games which should be listed that aren't.

I love how people respond to "Which is better, A or B", the answer "Well, I haven't tried A, so B is better!". /s

AC: Unity gets my vote but the textures in Vanishing of Ethan Carter were amazing...hopefully The Division will come out in 2015 and take the crown from Crysis 3...the videos of that game look photorealistic
This
Alien Isolation should have been on this list. While the graphics range from good to holy crap, the last level sealed the deal for me. I completed the game just now and I'm just blown away at the graphics for the last level, when you're outside the space station. It was almost cg like and the first game that I can recall where it actually didn't even look like a video game. So, yeah, my vote goes to Alien Isolation.
Alien isolation is a great game, but it has some terrible textures.

Looked terrible
Playing FC4 and Shadows Of Mordor and SoM is more impressive to me. FC4 is decent, but I really think its overrated graphics wise. The whole thing feels like FC3 looks and game play wise IMO of course.
som was OK, but the environment looked terrible.

The real winner isn't even on the list!

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, hands down.

Anyone who disagrees either hasn't played it, or their eyes are broken.

Back