Best GPU Block for GTX.....

Klist

n00b
What are most of you guys using on your GTX's? Maze4's or the nv-78 that cover the ram?
have the GTX on the way wondering which is nessisary. Probably OC it a bit but not to extreme levels.

Thanks for any imput
Klist

the MCW55 i just installed is doing great on my 7800GT. 30-32 Idle, 38C max.

I just installed the Maze4 on my 7800 GT Idle temps 30c Load playing games sits about 35c pretty damn good, Im very happy with it. it's the low profile Model too.

Edit to add whice Block im using.

Picked myself up a Fusion HL and I am pretty happy with it. The mounting brackets are a total bitch, but once thats done its a good block. Its running in series after my CPU, and I am still getting 32C idle, 37C load. Not quite sure the AS5 has even properly set yet, ive only had it for 2 days :cool:

Thanks for the imput guys, so by my estimation the bigger block for the ram isn't really necessary? I have a slot cooler that is pretty quiet that is gonna be blowing air on it as well.

Klist

Klist said:
Thanks for the imput guys, so by my estimation the bigger block for the ram isn't really necessary? I have a slot cooler that is pretty quiet that is gonna be blowing air on it as well.

Klist

Nope, ramsinks and good airflow will cool just as well for much cheaper.

I just received a MAZE4 GPU cooling block for my first try at a WC setup. I got the BRASS version because I thought it looked cool. After receiving it, it seems awfully heavy for a block that hangs on the video card.

Is it really a problem, or am I worried about nothing? I'm worried that if I move my computer around the block on the card could produce enough torque to snap the card.

A bit off topic, but I think it's related to the question at hand. Thanks!

Yea they are heavy and I would be carful moving around, but you could use a wire tie or something connected to the water hose and the case to help hold it up in place so is to take a bit of the strain off it, i used the plastic topped 1 just for that reason.

I used maze4 in my setup. It worked alright I guess since I cant tell what's the actual temp of the gpu itself. Just dont forget the ramsinks. Those rams are so darn hot under full load. I tried to touch 'em once and it's quite hot.

If you think that Maze4 is heavy, you should check out one of the NV68s. They weigh a metric ton.

I ordered 2 stasis neptune 7800 blocks, but since my GTXs were not previously under water I will not be able to compare with other waterblocks. I will be able to give you the results though.

Absolutely. When I get them I will run some with stock cooling and then with the new waterblocks.

Viper87227 said:
Picked myself up a Fusion HL and I am pretty happy with it. The mounting brackets are a total bitch, but once thats done its a good block. Its running in series after my CPU, and I am still getting 32C idle, 37C load. Not quite sure the AS5 has even properly set yet, ive only had it for 2 days :cool:

any pics .. i wanna ge a set for my sli gtxs .. but no one has any pics of them on cards or could explain why the mounting is so bad

jetjaguar said:
any pics .. i wanna ge a set for my sli gtxs .. but no one has any pics of them on cards or could explain why the mounting is so bad

All I have is pics of them inside the case, but it stil may give you an idea: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028900566&postcount=224

Basically, here is why the mounting sucks. There are the clips that you have to attach to the block. First problem, they screws they provide for attaching them are difficult to get tight. Yoru screwing into soft copper, so you dont want to overtighten them. Because of this, they move around and allow your block to slid. Bit annoying, but no big deal long as your getting good contact and you keep the core in the center. Then there is the screws they give you for actually mounting the block. They are very small. You have to pad both sides of the screw with washers just to keep it from falling through the screw holes on the block. Then you have to take a very small nut, and screw it uber tight to keep the screws in place. Slip the block on your card (the screws are a bastard to line up too), more washers, then another nut. Because your just using a nut to tighen it vs springs, not only is is difficult to get tight enough, but you can overtighthen it if your not careful and bend the shit outta your card. Also, since your using plyers to tighten them, and the nuts are small so you may slip a few times, its a good idea to leave nvidias backplate on the card, as you will see I did in those pics. They don't provide a backplate, so thankfully nvidias worked fine.

The whole process just seems sloppy and over-complicated when you look at competitors such as the Maze 4 which have a very simplisitic design. Screws screw into the block, put it on the card, drop on springs, and screw on thumb-nuts. Its tool free and can be done much quicker and easier. If you have the patients to fight with the Fusion a bit though, its the better performing of the two blocks.

Back