Best gaming 30" Screen

xAlex79

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
179
I have given up on 3D and Eyefinity, It is just not mature enough for me to spend my hard earned $$$ on.

So, from there I decided on a single 30" monitor, I mainly use my PC for gaming and so I wanted your expert advice on what monitor to get.

I have read good things about the HP ZR30w as far as input lag is concerned.

I mainly play MMOs and RTS games with the occasional TF2 game here and there. So absolute 0ms input lag isn't a must for me, as long as the blur isnt too massive I will be fine.

I want to spend around $1500 or maybe up to 2k if the difference is really worth it.
 
Subscribed because I too am interested - though in truth I'd probably be happy with a nice 1080p TV set that has good text quality. I don't need super high resolutions, 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 is just fine with me.
 
I can vouch for the HP ZR30w. Had it a couple months and love it. You will need a solid card or SLI to drive it though.
 
ZR30W no doubt. It's so good I bought 3 of them. ;)
 
ViewSonic VX2739WM with 1ms (fastest refresh rate in the world, ZERO ghosting!)


Viewsonic is one of the best monitor brands. My 17" VX-Series Viewsonic VX700 LCD (got it the first year of LCDs) still runs after years, no problems at all, none.

I highly recommend it if you want to save a few bucks and get a 27" instead of that $1000+ ZR30W.... the quality is superb without a doubt so I recommend getting the 27" and upgrading your graphics card. If you don't believe me, check the reviews. :)

Oh and It's on sale today I guess.... $299 shipped right now too ($75 off normal price)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...rds=B003GBRXKU&url=search-alias%3Delectronics

the ZR30W is cheaper than any store on google price check too by $75
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...rds=B003RBNMJA&url=search-alias%3Delectronics
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For pure gaming, any 30'' IPS without an AD board will do.

Dell 3007/3007wfp, HP LP3065/ZR30W, and so on.
 
ViewSonic VX2739WM with 1ms (fastest refresh rate in the world, ZERO ghosting!)


Viewsonic is one of the best monitor brands. My 17" VX-Series Viewsonic VX700 LCD (got it the first year of LCDs) still runs after years, no problems at all, none.

I highly recommend it if you want to save a few bucks and get a 27" instead of that $1000+ ZR30W.... the quality is superb without a doubt so I recommend getting the 27" and upgrading your graphics card. If you don't believe me, check the reviews. :)

Oh and It's on sale today I guess.... $299 shipped right now too ($75 off normal price)
[/url]

Meh...TN panel. The other point of these 30" panels is that they're not crappy TN panels like that 27" viewsonic junk.
 
W3000H is a great choice. It's basically a Dell 3008wfp/u3011h without the fancy OSD control.

It's more similar to the 3007WFP, since they both use the same panels, except the W3000H is a newer version.

I have the W3000H, and I love it. However, I started to notice ghosting in movements in games, and it's kinda starting to bother me. I find this interesting because it's been 3 years before I noticed it.

Actually, I may be wrong to even think it's ghosting, perhaps someone can help me out...

In games, objects moving appear to be "fuzzy" while objects that follow the camera (like your character) are crisp while in motion. Is the the ghosting effect? I thought the W3000H was fast enough for this...
 
Does the Dell have 30 bit color as well?

Also what about black levels? Nothing more annoying than playing Batman AA and not being able to see half the scene.

I currently have a 27" viewsonic TN and its cool for gaming but the view angles and black levels are really bad. I do not want to revesit that.
 
Dell 3007WFP-HC. I've got three. I couldn't be happier with them.
 
It's more similar to the 3007WFP, since they both use the same panels, except the W3000H is a newer version.

I have the W3000H, and I love it. However, I started to notice ghosting in movements in games, and it's kinda starting to bother me. I find this interesting because it's been 3 years before I noticed it.

Actually, I may be wrong to even think it's ghosting, perhaps someone can help me out...

In games, objects moving appear to be "fuzzy" while objects that follow the camera (like your character) are crisp while in motion. Is the the ghosting effect? I thought the W3000H was fast enough for this...

No, they don't use same panel.

3007wfp = a4
3007wfp-hc/hp lp3650 = q3
3008wfp/u3011h/w3000h = q5

I saw no ghosting when I had mine. I think it's related to your hardware or could be the defective monitor.
 
No, they don't use same panel.

3007wfp = a4
3007wfp-hc/hp lp3650 = q3
3008wfp/u3011h/w3000h = q5

I saw no ghosting when I had mine. I think it's related to your hardware or could be the defective monitor.

What I mean is that the 3007hc uses the same one as the W3000H.
 
Question:

Do any 30" IPS have a "through" mode that does no post processing and hence no unnecessary input lag? Sure, the pixel response won't get faster, but even the fastest 120hz TN panels have an additional 20ms of lag with any sort of processing on.
 
I got a Dell U3011 a few weeks ago when they had a killer deal. I love this monitor and I game a lot with it. I'm sure the HP is great too. Wish I'd upgraded to a 30" much sooner.
 
I've read some more and the HP ZR30w has very decent input lag for the 30" crowd.

The contrast ratio is good amongst the top average, does anyone that own one can voutch for being able to see shadow details in dark movie/game scenes?

Because I honestly do not care for OSD, Card Readers, Built-in speakers, HDMI.

The only drawback I see this monitor having is no tilt. But I can live with that especially since it seems to do so well in games.

Also it uses the new S-IPS Panel.. im not an expert about that but from the images i've seen on TFT Central it seems to have way sharper pixels than the older IPS panels. Is that a fact? or even noticable to the naked eye?
 
Question:

Do any 30" IPS have a "through" mode that does no post processing and hence no unnecessary input lag? Sure, the pixel response won't get faster, but even the fastest 120hz TN panels have an additional 20ms of lag with any sort of processing on.

I've read just now on anandtech that the HP has only 10ms input lag, which is on par with some of the fastest monitors out there.
 
I got the u3011 a couple weeks ago as well with that deal.. love it.. play l4d/l4d2 and cod black ops.. dont really notice and problems with these games.
 
I got the u3011 a couple weeks ago as well with that deal.. love it.. play l4d/l4d2 and cod black ops.. dont really notice and problems with these games.

Just got mine and I'm coming from a CRT. Love the U3011.
 
I've read just now on anandtech that the HP has only 10ms input lag, which is on par with some of the fastest monitors out there.

10ms is "not fast" compared to modern speeds. 5ms is popular. 2ms is quite popular now with 2010 monitors. And Viewsonic just made the record 1ms monitor which is up a few posts

10ms should be fine for most normal people though.... the visual dorks will disagree of courseeeee! :p
 
10ms is "not fast" compared to modern speeds. 5ms is popular. 2ms is quite popular now with 2010 monitors. And Viewsonic just made the record 1ms monitor which is up a few posts

10ms should be fine for most normal people though.... the visual dorks will disagree of courseeeee! :p

Input lag =/= G2G latency

Input lag = Is a delay between graphics card and monitor output.

G2G Response time = Response time is the amount of time a pixel in an LCD monitor takes to go from one value to another and back again

So, that's out of the way, 10 ms input lag is very good, some panels push 40ms , the Viewsonic 27" thats 1ms g2g had 9.6 ms input lag according to TFT central. So the HP having 10ms is bloody good for an IPS panel.
 
The 1ms Viewsonic screen he referred to has an input lag of 9.4ms.

As far as response time is concerned...

If you then enter the 'ultra fast' mode, the results are pretty shocking really. To the naked eye you can immediately spot three very obvious and quite severe issues. A very dark trail behind the white speech bubble. A bright blue trail behind the yellow head, and a bright pale trail behind thee red moving car. It looks to me like this is the mode where Viewsonic have probably taken their reported 1ms spec from and perhaps in their lab tests of pixel responsiveness this is achieved. This is done by applying an incredibly aggressive RTC impulse, but seemingly with no thought as to the overshoot which is caused as a result. You are left with a panel in this mode where maybe it does reach 1ms in certain lab tests, but in practice is unusable. The artefacts and trailing are the most obvious we have ever seen and you would not want to use this so called 'ultra fast' mode as a result. Don't be fooled by the 1ms spec of this screen, it's not useable in practice and the best case settings perform more like a 2 - 3ms G2G TN Film panel I think.
 
I know this thread is old, but I find it funny that the Viewsonic supporters didn't respond after this last post.
 
Viewsonic to me has never been a "high quality" LCD maker nor the best, they have been so so for the most part, they didn't respond back because they got busted talking about something they didn't know anything about, basically fell for marketing and bought a monitor thinking they had 1ms panel.
 
Back
Top