Best games that you played in 2012 on the PC.

Deus Ex HR without a doubt. Playing as a stealth/hacking character was a kick, except for being woefully underdeveloped for combat during the lame boss battles.

Nice list so far. People have better taste in games than I sometimes give them credit for.

Realm of the Mad God

I always had a bit of free time here and there, but never any free time that I could dedicate to gaming without some sense of guilt. This roguelike MMO was an exception. It was free to play, but not necessarily pay to win. I could hop on and off it at my own leisure, but found myself playing a lot more than I should have. It kept me happily distracted from my academic priorities for a majority of the summer. Fast-paced cooperative action that is hectic, rewarding, and punishing; it was an amazing experience overall.

I'm usually a bit behind when playing through games, as I'm busy with a huge backlog. But these are the best games I played in 2012:

• Batman: Arkham City
  • Just Cause 2
  • Far Cry 1
  • Dead Space 1 & 2
  • The Suffering
  • Darksiders 1

I played the above in 3D Vision on my projector, which was an awesome experience. Especially the Dead Space games. Fantastic!

The rest of my favorite games played in 2012 (in 2D):

• Alan Wake
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Singularity
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Deus Ex (Original with New Vision + Shifter + Biomod)

XCom Enemy Unknown was one the finest games of 2012. I'm not sure if I can make a compelling argument for GOTY, but it was an absolute blast from beginning to end. So tense and satisfying as you see the fiction surrounding your team unfold.

Otherwise, Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 were a lot of fun for a short while.

Skyrim, TL2, D3, GW2, LoL, B:AC, A:MR, Portal/Portal2,Path of Exile, FIFA12

It was a good year :)

By time played this year, it was probably something like:

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity
Mount & Blade: Warband
Total War: Shogun 2
Planetside 2
Witcher 2
Dark Souls
Batman: AC
Torchlight II
Crysis

EDIT: Forgot M&B

@Limey. Didn't know what A:MR was offhand. :)

Edited in more to the OP. Keep them coming!

Hard to say what's "best" so my barometer is how many hours I sunk into a title, hours lost from life that I probably should've been doing something productive like remodeling the kitchen or writing poetry - or "poetry" - to trick women into bed. Beginning with the most:

1. Battlefield 3 <-- Wasted enough time playing w/ a clan to reach 3rd spot on a particular leaderboard, embarrassing
2. Borderlands 2 <-- Crack cocaine
3. Borderlands 1 <-- Played after finishing BL2, but solo got lonely on PC since no one uses gamespy for MP anymore.
3. Orcs Must Die 2 <-- Crack cocaine
4. Max Payne 3 <-- Still trying to finish this, enjoy it but doesn't hold my attention more than 30-45m at a time.

Last edited:
Diablo III
Minecraft
Path of Exile
Terraria
Torchlight II

I really wish they would release FEZ on PC. That game looks schweet....

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition (winner by a wide margin)

Skyrim
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2

Updated the list to reflect the last responses. Keep them coming! :)

I added Project Cars and Dungeon Defenders as two games that I played to death last year. Too bad Slightly Mad Studios shut off funding for the project from the public. Would be nice for more people to get to experience the Alpha stages of it's development. I think the rest of my list someone else nominated. So it was easy adding them to the list!

Hotline Miami. - Just awesome soundtrack, graphics, game play.
Spec Ops - the Line- Great story, great particle work/visuals.
Walking Dead - Gripping story, just fun for everyone.
Battlefield 3 - This fucking game pisses me off sometimes and its a fucking beta but I still enjoy playing it and is my to go MP game.

It's a bit older (2010 I think), but Singularity is the FPS I enjoyed the most in the past few years.

Things I liked:
-Old style health system, none of this duck and cover to regen health.
-The time manipulation mechanic was interesting and something I never saw before. It's involved in lots of puzzles.
-Upgrading of weapons / abilities based on purchases.
-The seeker gun was lots of fun (steerable bullets - think like in the movie 'Wanted')

The game would be what I would describe as Halflife 2 and Bioshock's spawn.

Best:
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Frozen Synapse
Sleeping Dogs
The Witcher 2
Dota 2

Biggest Disappointments:
Battlefield 3
Diablo 3
Guild Wars 2

Sleeping Dogs - Liked it so much I beat it on PC and X360

Far Cry 3 - Game I played the most last year, finished all missions, took every outpost, every radio tower and every hunting mission, got to level 25 or so in MP

Max Payne 3 - Enjoyed the gameplay and it looked awesome running in nvsurround

Rage - Despite the shit graphics I loved it except for the bullshit ending. I put 25 hours into this game.

Painkiller HD - While not a groundbreaking game I still enjoyed it. Mindless extremely fast paced shooter with heavy metal in the background.

Civ V - picked up on Steam sale and loving it
Magic The Gathering - too many hours to count

Mark of the NInja
Max Payne 3
Dark Souls
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Sleeping Dogs
The Witcher 2

My GOTY:

Deus Ex:HR was by far my favorite game in 2012. The story, atmosphere, and gameplay(outside of boss fights) were all very good making it a well rounded game.

Honorable mentions:

Saints Row 3- This was my second favorite game in 2012, it's not a game to take seriously but it is fun. The graphics and gameplay were good and unlike SR2 they did a good job porting it to PC.

The first three Gothic games- I missed these games when they came out and it was fun to play some old school RPG's that were new to me.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines- This would have been higher in the list except that I did my first 2 playthroughs at the end of 2011 so it wasn't new or a game I hadn't played for a few years.

GTA:SA- One of my all time favorite fun games that I enjoy revisiting every couple of years, the graphics are a bit dated but ENB helps some.

The Monkey Island remakes- I thought they did a good job updating the controls and graphics while retaining the original feel.

Edit:
Bastion- I didn't care for the art direction but I thought it was a unique creative game.

Just started playing L4d2 a few weeks ago, bought it here on the forum after I put a wtb thread up and some awesome guy sold it to me for $5 and have been playing with a buddy of mine. One of my favorite multiplayer games ever that's for sure. Every time I play I kick myself in the head for not playing it when it came out and when there was more than just a few thousand ppl playing.

TWD - Telltale makes a significantly better story than the TV series
Spec Ops: The Line - only modern military shooter which single player is worth a damn playing
Dishonored, Far Cry 3 - examples of great gameplay

Haven't gotten around to most of the indies though. Planning to pick up Hotline Miami soon.

Sniper Elite v.2
Dishonored
Civ V: Gods and Kings
X-Com Enemy Unknown
Diablo 2(Yes, 2)
DotA 2
Battlefield 3

My list will be;

Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead
Skyrim
Serious Sam 3
Portal 2

Battlefield 2142 - yep, played quite a bit of it in 2012
Battlefield 3 - good one :)
Borderlands 2 - original game is perfect. DLCs are not so
Planetside 2 - grabs my attention since December 2012. Invested 200 hours and 100 Euros into it already.

Last edited:
Diablo 3 was a disaster.
Guild Wars 2 had potential, but was ultimately disappointing.

Starcraft II is the only game that gets a nod from me.

Back