Best games of the 90's?

Subspace was one of the first MMO games I played. It is a two-dimensional space shooter where you fight other people online. It is still around but goes by the name Continuum now and people still play it online if you want something to play against other people. Anybody else play this back in the day?

Sadly I don't think NOLF 2 will run very well on his hardware. I remember the game being barely playable on my P3 700@933 with a GeForce 2 Pro on low settings. When I upgraded to a P4 with a Geforce Ti 4200, then I could run the game at high settings. Still an awesome game though. I think the "chase" scene in that game is the funniest scene I've ever seen in a video game.

Subspace was one of the first MMO games I played. It is a two-dimensional space shooter where you fight other people online. It is still around but goes by the name Continuum now and people still play it online if you want something to play against other people. Anybody else play this back in the day?

Oh man Subspace was awesome, Trench Wars was the BEST server for it too.

Oh man Subspace was awesome, Trench Wars was the BEST server for it too.

Haha yes and last time I check that server is still around. Oklahoma Badlands and Extreme Games were also good zones. I wish they would port Subspace to PSN or Live which would be amazing.

NOLF 1
BattleZone

NOLF1 was released end of 2000, so it doesn't count (I had it as honorable mention in my post :p )

If you really like dirt track racing, I strongly recommend Dirt Track Racing: Sprint Cars. One of my friends has been racing Outlaw Sprint Cars since he was a kid, and still does (races for 3 different owners now). He said this is the most realistic oval racing game he's played. You can see some videos of him in a real race here. :cool:

P1010230.jpg

Might & Magic: World of Xeen

Great old skool dungeon romp RPG. Last in the series before going 3D and in my opinion, down hill.

The game is actually M&M 4 & 5 joined together. Good times :)

Carmageddon
Dungeon Keeper
Blood
Diablo
MDK
UFO series
DOOM series (looks great with Doomsday high res textures and model packs)
Battlezone

Last edited:
ya i was a subspace freak back in the day. i remember when it was called sniper. the guy who made the game would log in and play it and talk to people. i remember rambling his ear off. his name was jeffp. ever since they i been addicted to online games. fight other people is 10x more fun then fighting a computer. my buddy the admin at the company i work for hosted the website for few years before he sold the game to VIE.

turok.
whiplash. racing game with loops and huge ramps. it is the reason i love crazy maps on trackmania
heretic 2.

Aside from the obvious choices mentioned already:
The Secret of Monkey Island
Gobliiins
Grim Fandango
Loom

Never realized how into adventure games I was back then...

Starcraft
Warcraft Series
Diablo Series
Command and Conquer series
Counter Strike
Half Life
Rainbow Six
Quake 1,2 and 3
Rise of the Triad
Scorched Earth
Sims
Sim City 2000
Wing Commander Series
Mech Warrior Series
Legend of the Red Dragon (BBS game)

total annihilation is really good, also if ur into it starcraft, personally though im for TA

The best game of the 90's was getting on AOL and hoping you stay on long enough to download some crappy doom clone demo...

Oh you meant an actual game, not 'games you played against friends'.

Wow! I remember that game. What was it? '93 or '94? The music annoyed the crap out of me.

Haha, I loved the music but the first time I heard it was with the CD version (which I realized had a lot better music than the disk version), which I got after I got a new computer. The disk version I first had didn't run on the computer I had at the time, I don't remember why though.

half-life + op force (for addon pack for the 90's it was really cool, addon packs sucked ass usually)
dooms
duke3d,
blood,
shadow warrior,
System Shock 2 <== best game EVER, yet to be defeated
Deus Ex <== 2nd best game EVER
Diablo
ff7 & ff8
Red alert 2
Quakes

While I will leave al the normal games out there....The game that I really played in the late 90's was Heretic II. Esp the multiplayer.....VERY ADDICTING.

Ultima 7
Master of Orion II

Both games are still heavily played to this day by many and both will play on pretty much anything nowadays. For Ultima 7 use a emulation program called Exult, MoO2 should just work outright.

There are a slew of games that were great, the 90's was the golden age of gaming. But when it all boils down to it, you know what the best game was, the game that your parents hated and you adored , the game that you waited in lines for up to 20min if not longer to play, the game that you almost hurt yourself with excitement when you saw the television commercial for the first time and then ran out into you front yard and yelled Mortal Kombat (I know you did :)), oh yes it was....

Mortal Kombat

Back