Best Free Private Forum Service?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello!

I would like to create my own private forum that is preferably free. It will have maximum of 20-25 members.

Features: It needs to be private where people can only sign up through an invitation. I just need something basic where I can sticky threads and make announcements.

Appreciate any recommendations!

I tried Google Groups but what I don't like is that #1, it is really hard to see the new forum topics. It is all the way at bottom with basic font. 2 members of the group did not even notice it until I pointed it out. On top of that, anytime anyone makes a post everyone in the group gets emailed which is annoying. Wish I could have email updates just once a week. I like the forum idea since the discussions can be 5-6 paragraphs long otherwise I would have used social media.

Has anyone tried ProphpBB - Free Forum Hosting I wonder if you can make it private with phpbb.

Appreciate any feedback!

Oh, well if you can swing $5/mo for a DigitalOcean VPS or find a free service that will let you use a mysql database, you could run a phpBB forum. It can be made to be private and have restricted signups.

Yahoo groups is similar to what you are describing of Google groups.

There used to be free forum providers but I guess it wasn't a good business model because they don't exist anymore.

As stated before, you may need to spend a few bucks a month for a hosting account.

Back