Best Free Private Forum Service?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello!

I would like to create my own private forum that is preferably free. It will have maximum of 20-25 members.

Features: It needs to be private where people can only sign up through an invitation. I just need something basic where I can sticky threads and make announcements.

Appreciate any recommendations!

I tried Google Groups but what I don't like is that #1, it is really hard to see the new forum topics. It is all the way at bottom with basic font. 2 members of the group did not even notice it until I pointed it out. On top of that, anytime anyone makes a post everyone in the group gets emailed which is annoying. Wish I could have email updates just once a week. I like the forum idea since the discussions can be 5-6 paragraphs long otherwise I would have used social media.

Has anyone tried ProphpBB - Free Forum Hosting I wonder if you can make it private with phpbb.

Appreciate any feedback!

wolfofone

Gawd
Oh, well if you can swing $5/mo for a DigitalOcean VPS or find a free service that will let you use a mysql database, you could run a phpBB forum. It can be made to be private and have restricted signups.

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Yahoo groups is similar to what you are describing of Google groups.

There used to be free forum providers but I guess it wasn't a good business model because they don't exist anymore.

As stated before, you may need to spend a few bucks a month for a hosting account.