Votes: 32 23.0%
  • The Orange Box

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • The Darkness

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Hour of Victory (just kidding)

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Well after playing CoD4 and completing the single player campaign and logging in about 12 hours of multiplayer I'm going out on a limb saying this is the best FPS this year on a console.
Bioshock was way up there but no multiplayer.
Halo3 was good but wasn't very impressive to me.

Where's your vote?

I didn't include UT3 because their is a chance it won't make it to the PS3 this year.

Halo 3 for the multiplayer, Orange Box for the singleplayer. CoD4 just didn't grab my attention that much.

Where is Metroid Prime 3? :) Out of these posted I'd say Bioshock was the best *game*, but I have to say that for FPS I'd say MP3, simply because the controls are so utterly superior to analog stick FPS's there's no real contest.

EDIT: I'm hating on Halo3, those other games are actually very worthy.

None of those games have ANYTHING on COD4. Halo 3, despite its hype has the most awful gameplay of any game in the genre (and I'm not thinking of COD4 to compare it with) no matter how much I play it and pretend it was a good $60 spent.

Where is Metroid Prime 3? :) Out of these posted I'd say Bioshock was the best *game*, but I have to say that for FPS I'd say MP3, simply because the controls are so utterly superior to analog stick FPS's there's no real contest.

I would also vote Metroid Prime. It has enough action and quality for me to give up a mouse (even for a gamecube controller for 1&2).

I'm sorry, but none of those games have ANYTHING on COD4. Halo 3, despite its hype has the most awful gameplay of any game in the genre (and I'm not thinking of COD4 to compare it with) no matter how much I play it and pretend it was a good $60 spent.

I love how you state everything as if it's indisputable.

While I have yet to play CoD4 (I will later this week), I have a hard time believing it has a more interesting story than BioShock or more interesting gameplay than Portal and The Orange Box. I also bet it doesn't offer the plethora of features found in Halo 3. In fact, I know it doesn't simply because it has no online co-op mode.

I'm not knocking CoD4 and have enjoyed the previous installments but to so adamantly state that three or four other fabulous games have absolutely nothing over it is arrogant and foolish. No game can offer everything and The Orange Box, Metroid Prime, Halo, and BioShock all bring very different things to the table.

While I have yet to play CoD4 (I will later this week), I have a hard time believing it has a more interesting story than BioShock or more interesting gameplay than Portal and The Orange Box. I also bet it doesn't offer the plethora of features found in Halo 3. In fact, I know it doesn't simply because it has no online co-op mode.

I'm not knocking CoD4 and have enjoyed the previous installments but to so adamantly state that three or four other fabulous games have absolutely nothing over it is arrogant and foolish. No game can offer everything and The Orange Box, Metroid Prime, Halo, and BioShock all bring very different things to the table.
qft i love halo just as much as counter strike or call of duty series

I dont understand the Halo3 fanboyism.

I played it for a few hours, and it is a good first person shooter, it really is.

But its single player is pretty mindless. I didn't play halo 2 or halo (1) all the way through so i guess I dont care for Master Cheif as much as some of you do, but honestly, its a solid FPS, worth a 3/5 or 4/5. Its multiplayer is excellent but thats been the reason d'etre of the whole halo franchise, this one doesn't bring anything particularly new to it. Even if we consider its online play "perfect", its 1 player is far from it.

Bioshock was superb, worth a 4/5. No more. No online = -1. I cant bring myself to give it more then 80 or 85%, sorry.

I've only played COD4 for a few minutes but it looks excellent. I should really have played it longer before I voted.

The orange box is an incredible value, with episodes 1 and 2, portal, and TF2. TF2 is an excellent online game, and I still love episodes 1 and 2, but portal is where this game really shines, imho. Its just so much fun. An original, addicting puzzle game.

and I havn't played the darkness, but it got mixed reviews and everyone who I know who plays it says its decent, but it isn't eligible for "best FPS ever".

i never liked the call of duty series, i don't know if i'm missing something? people rave about it but I don't really feel the draw... is 4 way beyond the first 3?

halo 3 is hype plain and simple, i ended up buying it to get the cheap points card at best buy

metroid prime 3 was awesome, and should have been included...at least that would have made my decision hard

i have the orange box sitting here, i haven't had time to play it (pc version) but am looking forward to returning to team fortress again :)

though my vote goes to bioshock. it was everything i loved from the doom3/fear style games coupled with my fond memories of system shock 2. halo 3 has nothing on bioshock in terms of storytelling, atmosphere, and sheer coolness factor

Haha, I'm sorry I was way out of line. Looking back at the poll I don't agree with what I said completely. I must have said that stuff because it was right after an awesome 2 hour cod4 mp session so I was all hyped about it.

In all seriousness though... COD4 to me holds the title for fps of the year. Halo3... I still think is garbage (opinion of course). The rest of those games are great too. Anything Valve puts out is gold.

Hour of Victory on the other hand... well... you know.

COD captured my heart with the 4 player split-screen. I have loved it since.

I think COD4 is the best one yet, and it looks to be an amazing FPS. I voted for it as best FPS of the year. The games while all being FPS are very different though, so its hard to say really.

Bioshock so far. Have yet to play Orange Box or COD4. Halo3 is good but a little over-hyped in my humble opinion.

I would have picked bioshock but the multiplayer in Halo 3 wins over for me.

I voted Darkness, because I am not a fan of Singleplayer in FPS games, yet The Darkness was the first FPS in years that actually compelled me to finish the whole single player campaign. The story was excellent, as was the voice acting.

Another vote for Metriod Prime 3. It was the only FPS this year that actually kept me entertained for more than a week. Also the only FPS this year that I enjoyed so much that I played through it more than once.

Bioshock for sure. Halo 3 is a great multiplayer game, but the single player is pointless. I'll never understand why Halo 1's length and difficulty weren't duplicated in the sequels.
Bioshock's one of those games you can play 3-4 times and not play it the same way twice. That in itself makes it my choice.
I haven't played COD4 (I'll get the PC one) but Bioshock wins among the others. The Orange Box is great, but most of it's old news. It's tough to call a port of a 3 year old game with some bells and whistles better than Bioshock. If HL2 wasn't 3 years old, then it beats all of the others hands down. Problem is, everyone and their mother has had the PC one for years. Even a pretty average PC can run it as well as a console can.

I think its forgotten absence speaks volumes on why its not on the list int he first place.

According to the OP's sig, he owns a 360 and a PS3; but not a Wii. All of the games he listed are ones that are available on those 2 platforms. So maybe he just forgot about MP3 because he doesn't own a Wii, maybe he is biased against Nintendo so he didn't post it.

This is just a thread in a forum. What the OP listed/omitted doesn't mean anything besides what he happened to remember or chose to list. If this was a list that actually carried some weight or had some real significance, then yes a game being not being listed would mean a lot.

This is nothing against the OP, its more along the lines that people put way too much weight into what is said in forums. If I had made this list, CoD 4 wouldn't have been on there because I have no interest in the series and would have completely forgotten that it was even released.

MP3 isn't really a FPS. Yes it's First person and you do shoot, but it's an adventure game at heart. It's a great game, but it's not really a fps.

I dont understand the Halo3 fanboyism.

I played it for a few hours, and it is a good first person shooter, it really is.

But its single player is pretty mindless. I didn't play halo 2 or halo (1) all the way through so i guess I dont care for Master Cheif as much as some of you do, but honestly, its a solid FPS, worth a 3/5 or 4/5. Its multiplayer is excellent but thats been the reason d'etre of the whole halo franchise, this one doesn't bring anything particularly new to it. Even if we consider its online play "perfect", its 1 player is far from it..

So you haven't played Halo 1, 2 , or 3 to completion, and thus cannot comprehend nor appreciate the story .... and you wonder what you are missing it terms of the single player campaign? Not only that, you go so far as to call those who enjoy the story fanbois.

You're logic is astounding and I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

So you haven't played Halo 1, 2 , or 3 to completion, and thus cannot comprehend nor appreciate the story .... and you wonder what you are missing it terms of the single player campaign? Not only that, you go so far as to call those who enjoy the story fanbois.

You're logic is astounding and I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

hmm...I didn't play halo 1or 2 and I understood the story fine. It's not exactly Tolstoy.

Here's what I don't understand about the whole Halo 3 argument.

I'm a Halo fan big time. I've read one of the books and have wasted long days of my life on each of the three games. It's fun to me to play as a super soldier bad ass in the future, that's just me.

That said I don't go around saying Halo or die. I generally don't play other FPSs for weeks for months. I did BF2 for a while, did some GRAW on the 360, Gears, etc. None hold my attention or are as fun to play as Halo. That's just me.

Then you get all these others that anytime any FPS is mentioned, or any mention of Halo, and they HAVE to say halo sucks, it's all hype, blah fucking blah! I don't get it. I never really got into half life but I don't come out and kick it in the balls every time someone says it's great.

What I guess I'm saying is if you can't say something constructive, not even nice, but CONSTRUCTIVE, then don't open your mouth.

/end vent

BTW I voted Halo 3 but think that Bioshock and COD4 are both great games. I didn't really play Bioshock but it looked cool when someone else played it and I will own COD4 when I can afford it. And will play it, but not as much as Halo so that takes my vote. BTW I love the story for the Halo series and love the 1 and 3's campaign. Don't agree? Fine, that's your decision but it's my cup of earl gray and I don't want to hear how fucking stupid I am. Thanks all.

Halo 3 for it's mulitplayer alone.....yes the SP sucks but who cares?

i say cod4 is the best console fps.
bioshock was innovative just didn't keep my attention
halo 3 is old stuff with new graphics
orange box even though there is nothing negative about it. i think it is the best but don't think it could be any good on console. i have it for pc

Halo 3 for it's mulitplayer alone.....yes the SP sucks but who cares?
I wouldn't go that far. I had a blast playing the single player... I've spent far more time on that than MP.

According to the OP's sig, he owns a 360 and a PS3; but not a Wii. All of the games he listed are ones that are available on those 2 platforms. So maybe he just forgot about MP3 because he doesn't own a Wii, maybe he is biased against Nintendo so he didn't post it.

This is just a thread in a forum. What the OP listed/omitted doesn't mean anything besides what he happened to remember or chose to list. If this was a list that actually carried some weight or had some real significance, then yes a game being not being listed would mean a lot.

This is nothing against the OP, its more along the lines that people put way too much weight into what is said in forums. If I had made this list, CoD 4 wouldn't have been on there because I have no interest in the series and would have completely forgotten that it was even released.

Yes your right, I honestly don't own a wii, I used to but sold it because I never used it much. And therefore I totally forgot about MP3 so my apologies to everyone that voted for MP3 because I honestly forgot about it.

But thanks for being rational, that's hard to find sometimes around here.

I'd have to go with COD 4 right now. However, it's unwise to have a "best of 2007" when 2007 isn't over yet.

Bioshock was amazing, best enviroment ever in a FPS.

MP3 deserves to be on this list being that is is one of the top 3 FPS's of the year.

Halo 1, 2, 3 are all great, I am not a fanboy and never will be, but I can not deny that this game is an epic. It tells a great story, and presents the gamer with long and immersive levels. Those of you who say its not hard enough, obviously arent playing it on a hard enough difficulty. If you would have done your research before the game was released you would of found out that the game is easier than the ones past, thats why you need to put it on a higher difficulty and the problem is solved.

Theres a reason Halo gets so much hype. Probably because it is arguably the most succesful game series of all time. You cant deny that. October was one of the worst months for the film industry in years, and guess who hollywood is blaming for it.... Halo 3.

I like every game on that list for different reasons.

Bioshock's narrative and presentation are unparalleled on this gen, so far.

Halo 3 for it's co-op in Single Player and for giving me something I can always pop in and play with just about anybody on my friends list at any time. It's all fun with none of the fat.

The Darkness was gory, creepy, and very movie-like in presentation

CoD 4 is a audio visual stunner, and the MP presents something not available elsewhere on consoles right now, so kudos for that.

The Orange Box has Portal - Nothing more needs to be said on that.

I can't have a favorite, and right now every gamer gets to be Hugh Heffner as far as gaming is concerned... Why settle for just one, if you don't have to?

You can't really understand the H3 story unless you have played 1&2. Bungie made no attempt to make the story easy for first-timers to get into. Nothing is explained, there are no flashbacks, etc. Which is a good thing imo - would be a shame to have everything watered down to make it more "accessible."

But yes, compared to 99% of FPS games, Halo has a very good story.

gotta be halo 3, bioshock was good, but no multiplayer is just stupid.

i havent played CoD4 yet tho....it looks insane

Theres a reason Halo gets so much hype. Probably because it is arguably the most succesful game series of all time. You cant deny that. October was one of the worst months for the film industry in years, and guess who hollywood is blaming for it.... Halo 3.

Dude, did you ook at the movies that came out in October?

I would rather play Halo 3 than see those shit movies anyways.

Dude, did you ook at the movies that came out in October?

I would rather play Halo 3 than see those shit movies anyways.

Hey, I know the movies were shit, but its the first time a bad month in the filming industry was blamed on a video game.

Too early to nominate best console FPS since the year isn't over yet. For storyline and most underated game, I would nominate Darkness.

Having not played COD 4, I can't really speak for it. Out of the rest of those though, I think I have to go with Halo. Bioshock was great for story and atmosphere, but as a shooter it was nothing special IMO and no MP puts it at a disadvantage. Of course Orange box was fantastic, but it's all PC shooter at heart and just doesn't feel at home on consoles. The Darkness isn't even in the running.

The Halo games never really excelled in any one specific area. What they have always done is offer a package that balances all of the different elements of a shooter incredibly well with something for almost anyone. Halo 3 was no exception, and took it a step further with awesome features like Forge and 4-player online co-op, which is why I have to give it my pick for console shooter of the year.

Too early to nominate best console FPS since the year isn't over yet.
Yeah, but unless you think Blacksite: Area 51 is going to trump all of those games, there aren't any more console FPS's releasing between now and the end of the year to take into consideration.

Yeah, but unless you think Blacksite: Area 51 is going to trump all of those games, there aren't any more console FPS's releasing between now and the end of the year to take into consideration.

What about Haze? its supposed to ship in december for the PS3.

Call of duty 4, no question. halo's tired game play and terrible level design don't come anywhere near what COD4 offers. Bioshock is really close, but i really dig the cinematic feel of the call of duty series. Makes you feel like you are part of something bigger, instead of 1 man vs everyone.

Back