• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

best for Xeon 5405?

Toconator

[H]ard DCOTM January 2026
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
880
Well I've appointed myself as IT admin for the company I work for among other hats I've donned (never did get a pimp hat so I have to grab what I can I suppose). We've got a small domain with a bunch of P4 workstations and a dual socket Xeon 5405 server which is mostly sitting wasted so I threw the FaH smp client on it before leaving for the day today. DHCP, email and a few mapped drives with office apps and Accpac and the like on a Adaptec RAID Array is usually the only load on it during office hours and only has 4GB DDR2 so I'm not sure what's the best way to get ppd out of it. Not experienced with VM's but am willing to give it a whirl. Any ideas or advice? I wanna get the most ppd for the Horde without impacting day to day ops or stability.
 
A dual E5405 Xeon box will do best running the regular SMP client whether the OS is Windows or Linux.
 
APOLLO is probably the only person here who could tell us reliably whether two 2ghz Core 2 Quad -era CPUs could handle bigadv, but I suspect they could not. At least, not the 2684 dogs.

I suspect you've already got er pretty much maxed out the way it is. Too bad it's already at 1333 mhz FSB, or else it might have been eligible for the pin mod overclock method :)

Edit: Ninja'd by apollo while I was looking the other way. He's sneaky like that.


 
I would have to test it for bigadv... safer bet is smp for sure...
I have a dual 2ghz quads no ht on the i7 side... they do a bigadv in about 2.2 days...
and its worth it... I would think that a c2q would take around 3 -4 days... it should still make it... but I don't know if the bonus would be worth it...
 
I would have to test it for bigadv... safer bet is smp for sure...
I have a dual 2ghz quads no ht on the i7 side... they do a bigadv in about 2.2 days...
and its worth it... I would think that a c2q would take around 3 -4 days... it should still make it... but I don't know if the bonus would be worth it...
probably too close for comfort. If you miss the bonus you get like 2000 points, which would translate to 500 ppd. :rolleyes: safer bet is SMP like you said.

Food for thought. You could try to sell those 5405s and do an even exchange into some 1066 quad cores that you could pin mod to around 2.3ghz or so. Not sure if it would really be worth the hassle though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Xeon-SLAC...36?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e6119c548#ht_1018wt_1033

 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
NO WAY this will do -bigadv. I have two E5410 machines and they are OCed to 2.7-2.8GHz. Put it this way, at that clock speed a P2684 is processing in the mid-high 40s TPF. With stock E5405s, we are talking 2GHz processors here. Huge difference in clock speed plus memory is running at low speeds compared to an FSB OCed machine.
 
Last edited:
probably too close for comfort. If you miss the bonus you get like 2000 points, which would translate to 500 ppd. :rolleyes: safer bet is SMP like you said.

Food for thought. You could try to sell those 5405s and do an even exchange into some 1066 quad cores that you could pin mod to around 2.3ghz or so. Not sure if it would really be worth the hassle though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Xeon-SLAC...36?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e6119c548#ht_1018wt_1033



better yet... let me see what those 2ghz 771 quads I picked off of scrap were... I only have like 8 of em...

NO WAY this will do -bigadv. I have two E5410 machines and they are Oced to 2.7-2.8GHz. Put it this way, at that clock speed a P2684 is processing in the mid-high 40s TPF. With stock E5405s, we are talking 2Ghz processors here. Huge difference is clock speed plus memory is running at low speeds.

my frame times are um significantly better on linux...
but ok...
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
my frame times are um significantly better on linux...
but ok...
Linux -bigadv is still beta only. Which processors and what frequencies are you running? Are we comparing similar hardware?
 
Linux -bigadv is still beta only. Which processors and what frequencies are you running? Are we comparing similar hardware?

I will see if I can dig up a dually c2q to play with...

I have a large set of i7s and magnycours I run on... low end is dual quad 2ghz no ht...

what I find funny is the sandy I have at 3.2ghz with ht keeps up with the dual quad 2ghz no ht nehalem
 
Right. There's no way to compare across generations. The IPC improvements are too dramatic. You'd have to find dual 771 systems to be able to compare.

If you get a chance to, I'm sure Apollo would be interested to hear your impressions of how a dual 771 system runs. He has one (or is it two?) Skulltrail systems :)

 
Right. There's no way to compare across generations. The IPC improvements are too dramatic. You'd have to find dual 771 systems to be able to compare.

If you get a chance to, I'm sure Apollo would be interested to hear your impressions of how a dual 771 system runs. He has one (or is it two?) Skulltrail systems :)


oki I am trying to think of all the machines that use them...
its honestly not a problem to find a machine... or cpu's and ram for that matter...I have done a good job at scavaging cpus and ram...

It is the damn heatsinks that I get caught up on... alot are server specific... I have a collection in a drawer lol... hopefully I can find a working combination...
 
"in a draw"??

Geez you really are from Texas....

;)



 
Right. There's no way to compare across generations. The IPC improvements are too dramatic. You'd have to find dual 771 systems to be able to compare.
You're exactly right Jebo. Can't compare across architectural generations easily. Dual S771 is somewhat equivalent to i7 Nehalem running 8 threads but approximately 800MHz-1GHz faster, from what I've seen posted here in the past. Meaning, dual 2.8Ghz Harpertowns are like an i7 @~3.6-3.8GHz give or take a couple of minutes in TPF. So, that would be a rough comparative architectural baseline.

If you get a chance to, I'm sure Apollo would be interested to hear your impressions of how a dual 771 system runs. He has one (or is it two?) Skulltrail systems :)
I thankfully have only one Skulltrail with two E5430s @3.4+GHz, and 5 other dual S771 systems composed of 3 Clovertowns and 2 Harpertowns of varying frequencies, all overclocked way higher than stock. It's the only reason I manged to stay in the top 20 all these years with large spans of time between upgrades..
 
Last edited:
Thx guys. No OCing or pin mods as this is a Domain Controller and stability is paramount. I arrived at work today to cries of " the server is down! the server is down! " . Sheesh, you'd think the sky was falling or something. It WAS frozen and a quick reboot restored logon authentication and internet access but it took me a couple more hours to find out a mis-behaving backup removable USB drive was tying up the network shares, making them 'in use' and not available. I don't need anymore grief, smp it is :)
 
Thx guys. No OCing or pin mods as this is a Domain Controller and stability is paramount. I arrived at work today to cries of " the server is down! the server is down! " . Sheesh, you'd think the sky was falling or something. It WAS frozen and a quick reboot restored logon authentication and internet access but it took me a couple more hours to find out a mis-behaving backup removable USB drive was tying up the network shares, making them 'in use' and not available. I don't need anymore grief, smp it is :)

yeah instability is bad...
I actually wouldn't recommend running fah on any production machines unless they can go down without the "sky falling" ....

otherwise I would setup some vms on a certain 2.1ghz 24core 32gb ram esx box...
 
You running F@H on anything work related that is actually used for something in a live environment? I hope you're your own boss, because mine would be.... quite furious. :D
 
You running F@H on anything work related that is actually used for something in a live environment? I hope you're your own boss, because mine would be.... quite furious. :D

I am not... lol...sounds like toco was... but it admins get a little bit of leeway...
 
Back
Top