Best For Q6600 and Hackintosh?

CompUSA611

Weaksauce
Right now i am running my sig rig with MacOS and XP. It runs fine, but i want to be able to overclock and I might get another 8800GT to SLI if i want.

What motherboard do you guys recommend. I'm 16 and i get paid on Tuesday. My paycheck will be around 400-500 but i would like to spend about 200 (250 max).

I was looking at 780i, but will it work with Kalaway 10.5.2?
Is SLI worth it if i have an 8800GT?
Also, on a side note.. What cooler should i buy for my Q6600 that will fit in my CM690?

If i dont need SLI, what about X38 or P35???

So many damn choices...;)

I'm not sure there is aboard that is best for the Hackintosh o/s but I have heard that the this board EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 is a good board in your price range. I haven't ever used use one so I would ask around to see if anyone has, and what their opinions are.

As for a price/performance cooler for your Q6600, check out the Xigmateck HDT-S1283. I have one and it works great dispite my high ambient room temps.

Its hard to say if you need SLi. I'm not sure anyone needs but, but if you want it and have the $$ go for it. I'm sure you will notice a decent performance increase over the one 8800GT, if you like to play any of the high-end games today. Newegg has a pretty decent deal on one right now that comes pre-overclocked..
GIGABYTE GV-NX88T512HPV1 but there might be better ones out there ... EVGA and XFX are gonna be your best bet when it comes to warranty concerns though.

I'd go with P35 as I have heard the performance is about the same and I would assume the x38 cost more but I haven't really checked.

Better to stick with an Intel chipset for a Hackintosh. The BadAxe2 is a loved mobo in many Hac circles.

Hackintosh aren't to friendly to NV chipsets, so SLi is out, unless you look at some of the x38 sli hacks out there, but as far as I know there is no Sli support for Mac. Love my Xigmateck cooler with my q6700 for OCing.

i'd recommend the abit ip35-e. been using it for about two months. you can nab one cheap (60-90). sli is out but you can oc a 65nm quad very well. 3.2 is easy. 3.4-3.6 as long as you put a fan over the pwm area.

go with the cheap gigabyte board. ga-p35-ds3l . got one and kalyway loves it. my q6600 loves it. the xigmatech s1283 loves it, and JUST fits. my bfg 8800gt loves it, as does my gskill 2x2g ddr2-1000 ram. heck, all of that fits nicely in MY cm690.

go for it. i can tell you with kalyway 10.5.2 and the correct install options, everything works out of the box.

gigabyte's FTW with hackintosh. My P35-DS4 is 100% working after minor tweaking,

Back