Best for Office Work - 38" LG WQHD Vs. 49" Samsung QHD Vs. 2x 27" 1440P?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello again,

I work full time in IT where my current setup is one 27" IPS 1440P and a 32" 4K IPS screen. I am going to get rid of the 32" 4K Panel because I have just never been happy with it all these years due to my poor eye sight. The 27" @ 1440P is just perfect for my eyes without having to use scaling/zoom. I have to do 150% scaling with my 4K panel and even then sometimes text in certain apps just look off. I think 2x 27" will be perfect for my day work plus it is easier to have two of the same sized screens next to each other for optimal viewing/ergonomics.

I've started day trading so am also debating on what screens to use to place above the two 27" screens. I am looking at the LG 38" WQHD, Samsung 49" QHD or to get another pair of 27" 1440P screens. What has more "real estate" for charts and such between the 38" and 49"? It is always difficult for me to understand resolutions. Since the 4K was really hard on my eyes I sometimes wonder if the 38" would be too much? I know the 49" is 2x 1440P resolutions in one but that is a VA panel too so I heard they have worse viewing panels? I've had IPS screens for over a decade now so maybe good to just stick to IPS?

I would really appreciate any input/feedback as I am at a loss. I am having extreme issues with my neck so really want to optimize my screens with proper moniotor mounts but need to figure out what monitor setup I want to do first.

Thanks!

I'd go with the 49" personally.
Work IT myself (Support) and love working at home on the 32:9. It's more flexible than a traditional 2 x setup and feels more like a 3 x setup. I went with the lower tiered 3840x1080 CHG90 though. I was GPU strapped at the time and it's my home display so gaming was a given... which btw is fucking nutters :D.

The VA shouldn't be too big of an issue. The subtle curve really helps with the slight off angle things VA's can do. If your used to IPS you will notice it, but you do quickly get used to it.

OH and no matter if you go 21:9 or 32:9, get the Win10 version of PowerToys for the FancyZone feature. With all the real estate, it's handy to have a version of aero snap with more flexibility :D

It's more flexible than a traditional 2 x setup and feels more like a 3 x setup.
Could you talk bit more about how it feels more like a 3x setup? I'm trying to figure out if I can fit more charts that is still readable on 2x 27" or 1x 49". Thanks!

No center bezel. So I often end up with my windows in a sort of H arrangement. With a larger centered window and then smaller ones off to each side.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones#choose-your-layout-layout-editor

I usually have my fancy zones setup something like the Priority Grid template you can see in those images. On a 32:9, that arrangement works out really well for me.

p.s. My monitor also lets me display 2 inputs at once. So I can do a split screen with one 16:9 half showing say my laptop, or a console, and the other showing my desktop. Which can be handy :)
p.p.s. Also 32:9 is very close to the same as 3x old school 5:4 monitors across. My CHG90 has a resolution of 3840x1080. And well 3840 divides perfectly in 3 to 1280 :D

Last edited:
I just got the 49” for work and it’s great. Much more functional than using two monitors side by side.

The only thing is some video conferencing programs (WebEx specifically) are lagging behind in screen sharing support for Ultrawide screens which can impact you if you those particular vendors.

The only thing is some video conferencing programs (WebEx specifically) are lagging behind in screen sharing support for Ultrawide screens which can impact you if you those particular vendors.
Yeah basically anything that only supports full desktop sharing is going to have problems. It can be a good idea to use Picture by Picture mode with those so that to the computer it appears as if you have two monitors.

The super ultrawide form factor makes the center of the screen much more usable vs 2x 27" displays. So instead of maybe two large windows, having 3 large windows is totally fine. Use virtual desktops for more.

Back