Best for a GTX 1080: 144hz G-Sync 1440p or 60hz G-Sync 4K?

I literally can't decide! I'm looking at the 27 inch models from both Asus and Acer, they're all *roughly* the same price and I don't mind putting graphic options down a notch for higher frames in 4K, so it's really just a matter of fluidity vs resolution. I've never seen either of these techs in action (And live in the Caribbean where they don't sell them) so I can't check them out and decide. I've seen a few gripes about scaling in 4K, so is that something to consider in anybody's experience? Opinions please!!!!

I'm all about higher frames, but 5K DSR with G-Sync is starting to feel pretty comfy. Scaling isn't an issue in modern games at high resolutions, so if your primary use is gaming it won't be an issue. In Windows not all programs respect the DPI scaling that you set, but a lot will. All the major internet browsers and UWP apps do.

Long story short: I still prefer high framerate over high resolution, but G-Sync makes everything down to 40 FPS feel buttery smooth. If you get the itch to play at a higher res you can always use DSR.

Higher refresh rates is always better, personally.

I can't see jaggies that clearly when the game is in motion, but the difference in smoothness and responsiveness going from 60Hz to 144Hz is incredible. After just 2 weeks with my 144Hz monitor, 60Hz feels stuttery to me now.

So you find even on a native 1440p panel DSR makes it look like a higher res?
Yes. It's basically supersampling the image, so you inherently have fewer visible pixels in the same space. It's not as good as native resolution, but has the same effect. You just need to do integer scaling while turning the smoothness factor off, since the smoothness is bilinear filtering. This is why I do 5K instead of 4K on my native 2560x1440 display.

Reactions: JDon
like this
I would go with the 1440p. I'm not sure you're going to get the performance you want out of a single GTX 1080 at 4K.

Always go for the highest refresh rate before highest resolution if gaming is your top priority. Speed trumps resolution. My 4k g-sync Acer has been relegated to my non-gaming system in lieu of a 2560x1080 ultrawide 144Hz for gaming.

I don't mind putting graphic options down a notch for higher frames in 4K, so it's really just a matter of fluidity vs resolution

You're right. It really just comes down to fluidity vs resolutions which means it really comes down to your games. If you play mostly single player or coop games, then go 4k. If you game via competitive multiplayer games, then go 144hz.

Definitely get the 1440P. My main rig is using the Asus ROG Swift, 27" 1440P G-Sync and it's great. With a monitor like that and a 1080 you can play most any game on High settings and get in the 90 FPS range (which is perfect for G-Sync @ 144Hz).

I recently got a 4K TV to use on a second computer. 4K looks glorious, but there is not any hardware available that can max out recent games at 4K. I even bought a Titan X thinking I'd be good, and I'm still struggling in some games like Deus Ex MD or Crysis 3.

Also, Windows scaling can be a hit or miss, and 4K native makes text and things too small. I still love the look of 4K, but you can't expect to play too many recent games at that resolution at good frame-rates.

That said, if you are OK with playing older games, it can work. I played though the original Mirror's Edge at 4K with over 60fps on a GTX 970. DMC (Devil May Cry) was also running smooth on the 970. So you can do it, but only on older games.

4K looks stunning to say the least and smooth with FreeSync 40fps+. For me my 27" 4K IPS monitor looks better at 1440p then my 1440p IPS monitor using AMD down scaling (keeping monitor at 4K resolution while feeding it 1440p). For games that run well enough in 4K like Doom it is an incredible experience in 4K FreeSync.

Some folks rather have the faster frame rates, others prefer higher quality textures - less aliasing on everything etc. So no real answer for anyone here - you just have to try both. Also I don't think Nvidia does scaling as well as AMD so mileage can vary. For me I play at 4K if I get good enough performance and scale down as needed. So I always have the performance for smooth game play. Now if I had a big 4K monitor like 34" + or something, going down in resolution could be more dramatic in quality. If you go 4K with a big 4K monitor then I think you will need to have the performance to keep using 4K in your games meaning some powerful GPU('s) will be needed or a lot of sacrificing of game settings.

This also goes into the 21:9 monitor game play which is also really good but having FreeSync or GSync I think is almost mandatory for smooth game play in the end. My 3440x1440p monitor does not have FreeSync which now I notice but the aspect ratio is really good for gaming besides productivity stuff.

I was going to buy either the Asus or Acer 27" 1440p screen, but since they're on such heavy back order and was in the market for a new screen. I bought the Asus PG348Q, I love it...just requires a lot of power to run, games (when I can run them) are amazing. I have two GTX 680's in SLI and they just don't have enough video memory to keep up with the large screen.

Great choice. But you will need a better video card setup to take full advantage of that screen.

Yeah, I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting a Titan X (P)......then one day search the buy/sell forum and get a second.

Back