Best File Manager for Windows 7?

So I have a ton of files to move/copy in my attempt spring clean my hard drives and consolidate to higher capacity drives.

I know Windows' built in file manager stinks. What would you guys and gals suggest as a good replacement?

So I have a ton of files to move/copy in my attempt spring clean my hard drives and consolidate to higher capacity drives.

I know Windows' built in file manager stinks. What would you guys and gals suggest as a good replacement?

Why do you make the comment?

The best file manager I've found is xplorer2 (zabkat.com). The big advantage is the dual pane approach which makes things a lot faster, and there are many useful features built in, esp for power users with keyboard shortcuts. Give it a try.

The best file manager I've found is xplorer2 (zabkat.com). The big advantage is the dual pane approach which makes things a lot faster, and there are many useful features built in, esp for power users with keyboard shortcuts. Give it a try.

Awesome program if you can afford it. If not my alternative currently is FreeCommander. What I really like about it is that it also includes a Portable version and it's free of course.

Awesome program if you can afford it. If not my alternative currently is FreeCommander. What I really like about it is that it also includes a Portable version and it's free of course.

I use the free version of xplorer2 also. FreeCommander is a similar program, they both do the 2 pane view which is so good.

Not a explorer replacement, but I just did what you are about to embark on, and used a combo of TreeSize and TeraCopy.

Besides finding Large Folders, TreeSize is great to find directories with lots of little files, which are a pain to copy, so if I still need them, I just zip them up, or just delete them.

Q-Dir is the only good one, even when comparing to non-free software such as Total Commander. I've tried quite a few.

I do not comprehend.

In your thread-starter post you said:

I know Windows' built in file manager stinks

And I'm asking why you are making this statement? Direct experience, or what other people have said? Simple question.

In your thread-starter post you said:

I know Windows' built in file manager stinks

And I'm asking why you are making this statement? Direct experience, or what other people have said? Simple question.

Got it. The way the question was framed merely looked spammy.

I make the statement based on experience. When moving large amounts of files, it takes forever and gives wholly inaccurate statements regarding "time remaining".

Got it. The way the question was framed merely looked spammy.

I make the statement based on experience. When moving large amounts of files, it takes forever and gives wholly inaccurate statements regarding "time remaining".

Understood. To be clear, I share those frustrations. If you find a file manager that fixes those problems, let us all know. :D

I remember when XTree Gold ruled. Nothing even came close. Then they came out with a Windows version which utterly and totally destroyed it. Shortly thereafter, they faded into history.

Back