Best Eyefinity/Vision Surround monitor ever?

MaK2000

n00b
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002578
http://necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/ea232wmi-bk

The monitor is 23", 1920x1080, IPS with LED backlighting, good bezels Displayport, and from the best monitor manufacturer there is in my opinion. That means consistent lighting and viewing angles and required connectivity for any setup plus the perfect size for more triple monitor mounts which stop at 24" at the biggest from what I have seen. The best part... $269. I thought it was a typo to have an IPS monitor for that price but NEC's site showed the same thing.

I was playing around with some Eyefinity earlier and the panels in the monitors were horrible which made the side monitors look dark. It was the monitor's fault but the Eyefinity effect was cool. I thought that it would be awesome if you could get some IPS monitors for it but U2410s aren't exactly a drop in the bucket. I started poking around at Newegg and found this when I narrowed my search to monitors that have Displayport. I wanted to let the community know about these since they just launched and I can't squeeze $900 for monitors and another $300 for a stand right now but someone who can may be able to let us know how this is. The bezels are even fairly thin and are even around the case so that doesn't get in the way. I think my mind is already made up that those are the optimal solution for a 3x1 solution. Hopefully we see more affordable IPS 1080P panels like this.

This should really be in the display section. This does look like an interesting panel for the price, but I find 16:10 monitors make far better Eyefinity/Surround monitors over 16:9. I'd also check input lag numbers as NEC is notorious for going color calibration/higher lag priority versus lower lag. Also, edge lit LED like this is usually an image quality negative versus CCFL and not a positive.

Hmm, this actually is interesting. Although I've never used an IPS display besides an iPad or iPhone or my Macbook Pro, the bezel tempts me the most. Who will be the OCP guinea pig :)

I know that it is a display thing but would the display section really have as much fun brainstorming this as we would? This section probably gets more comments, maybe not posts, about displays than it does.

I did like a pretty clean black bezel. My U3011 has the reflectiveDell logo which is ver noticeable and though it would be sweet for Eyefinity other than the price and performance crush I think it would be noticeable.

I have a TN 27 next to an IPS 30 and you can tell. My TN isn't even a cheap TN like most buy and it is a big difference.

Why you guys worried about bezels. You just remove them. ;)

Warranty for one thing but I hear you. That would be a pain in the butt. I don't mind going [H] on some things and leaving the warranty behind but those bezels are nicer than most.

Most LCDs you can take off the bezels and put them back on with it being impossible to tell. As long as you use some finesse and not a hammer.

IPS panels are great and I understand why most people prefer them. My choice when I was making my purchasing decision was to go with 120hz panels. I actually did alot of research until I found the monitors in my Sig. They are TN but probably the champion of the TN panels available . I have 0 regrets getting them as they look amazingly sharp, clear, bright etc.. The refresh rate is amazing and eliminate any in game tearing. I honestly haven't played anything that I get more than 120fps in eyefinity on and unless I try a really old game that works with eyefinity I doubt I'll find myself experiencing in game tearing. Just about all of my friends have IPS pannels and when they see my setup they call bullshit that they are TN Panels and say that the fluidity of the gaming makes up for anything the TN technology lacks. Tack on top of that impressive specs that come very close to IPS standards and you can see why every review I found was raving about these monitors, and yes, I removed the bezels and have bezel-less portrait eyefinity. Vega is not only the president of this club, he's also a client. :D

BTW my inner bezels are the smallest I've ever seen, even from panels with removed bezels. 1.05cm!!

See my post here to see before and after results

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036906624&postcount=16

IPS panels are great and I understand why most people prefer them. My choice when I was making my purchasing decision was to go with 120hz panels. I actually did alot of research until I found the monitors in my Sig. They are TN but probably the champion of the TN panels available . I have 0 regrets getting them as they look amazingly sharp, clear, bright etc.. The refresh rate is amazing and eliminate any in game tearing. I honestly haven't played anything that I get more than 120fps in eyefinity on and unless I try a really old game that works with eyefinity I doubt I'll find myself experiencing in game tearing. Just about all of my friends have IPS pannels and when they see my setup they call bullshit that they are TN Panels and say that the fluidity of the gaming makes up for anything the TN technology lacks. Tack on top of that impressive specs that come very close to IPS standards and you can see why every review I found was raving about these monitors, and yes, I removed the bezels and have bezel-less portrait eyefinity. Vega is not only the president of this club, he's also a client. :D

BTW my inner bezels are the smallest I've ever seen, even from panels with removed bezels. 1.05cm!!

See my post here to see before and after results

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036906624&postcount=16

spray-on-hair-color.jpg

120Hz silky smoothness is nice, but you run into needing 2x the GPU power to run it! ;)

Hopefully one day OLED will combine super fast refresh with top quality images.

spray-on-hair-color.jpg

120Hz silky smoothness is nice, but you run into needing 2x the GPU power to run it! ;)

Hopefully one day OLED will combine super fast refresh with top quality images.

LMAO, honestly I haven't noticed any performance loss running at 120hz just more fluid motion in game and 0 tearing, then again I'm not using the extra 60hz poling rate to run stereoscopic 3d and rendering everything 2x.

I know that it is a display thing but would the display section really have as much fun brainstorming this as we would? This section probably gets more comments, maybe not posts, about displays than it does.

I did like a pretty clean black bezel. My U3011 has the reflectiveDell logo which is ver noticeable and though it would be sweet for Eyefinity other than the price and performance crush I think it would be noticeable.

I have a TN 27 next to an IPS 30 and you can tell. My TN isn't even a cheap TN like most buy and it is a big difference.

I have been slapped by admins for breaking rules. They are there for a reason. With great respect to a fellow member this has nothing to do with Video Cards.

Eyefinity implies gaming. Do the NEC IPS panels have fast response times? No, can't be the best ever then can they. Do they have aggressive anti-glare coating and poor quality control? Yes, as do the the below panels.

The Dell U2311h and LG IPS236V and Asus ML239H (?) are only 250$ and have better gaming performance. For landscape Eyefinity set ups the 230$ Asus ML239H could be a good choice as it might not use aggressive AG coating. Pretty sure it shares the same panel as the LG IPS2x6V range.

Last edited:
This should really be in the display section. This does look like an interesting panel for the price, but I find 16:10 monitors make far better Eyefinity/Surround monitors over 16:9. I'd also check input lag numbers as NEC is notorious for going color calibration/higher lag priority versus lower lag. Also, edge lit LED like this is usually an image quality negative versus CCFL and not a positive.

While I agree with you about 16:10 being better than 16:9, it's getting harder and harder to find good priced 1920x1200 monitors. When the whole 1080p high def movement exploded a few years ago, manufacturers found they could just cut their monitors down to 1920x1080, slap a sticker on it that says "1080P!!" and sell it for the same price :(

I love my 24" 16:10 that I bought a few years ago.

Back