• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Desktop Stereo System

DeathMan

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
543
I just got an X-Fi sound card, and I want to upgrade my Klipsch 2.1 system.

Any recommendations? I'll listen to any possibilities, money isn't really that big of a deal, if the sound quality will be worth it. Looking for a 2.1 system, as i think that will give me the best experience, but if it's worth it, i'll look at surround sound systems (5.1... 7... :D)

thanks for any help, and sorry if this question has already been posted, i just started reading the audio thread (just got the x-fi)

edit: this is probably important :p. I primarily use my computer for music and gaming. all the music is in uncompressed form (hopefully that'll help the sound quality) and i basically am concerned with the sound quality for music.
 
DeathMan said:
I just got an X-Fi sound card, and I want to upgrade my Klipsch 2.1 system.

Any recommendations? I'll listen to any possibilities, money isn't really that big of a deal, if the sound quality will be worth it. Looking for a 2.1 system, as i think that will give me the best experience, but if it's worth it, i'll look at surround sound systems (5.1... 7... :D)

thanks for any help, and sorry if this question has already been posted, i just started reading the audio thread (just got the x-fi)

edit: this is probably important :p. I primarily use my computer for music and gaming. all the music is in uncompressed form (hopefully that'll help the sound quality) and i basically am concerned with the sound quality for music.
if you want a 2.1 system, then why not keep the Klipsch? their 2.1 system is quite good from what i hear.

most of your music is probably encoded as stereo so a 2.1 system should suit you there. but a surround sound system is better for gaming or movies.
 
i was looking for something a little more higher end. the infinity primus 150's were something i was looking at as well. along w/ a center speaker etc.

any other suggestions?
 
the infinity primus 150s are a good choice. i myself have been using klipsch 5.1 ultras for a while now and find them adequate for my needs.
 
i've used my share of logitech's... not exactly the speaker of choice for the audiophile.

the 5.1 promedia's were an option as well... however i've read many a review on their amps overheating/failing after about a year of use.

how long have you owned the klipsch?

any other suggestions... think along the lines of the Primus speakers.. high end, but newegg won't carry them :p
 
for the price, they're a fantastic value.

anybody know if headphones would be an adequate replacement for good speakers? i know they're two different ballparks, but i currently have Shure E4's, but i don't really use them with my computer... would the quality oust that of speakers?
 
I have the Z-2300 on my old comp, but always use headphones (both comps in same room + tv, don't want to clash sounds).

If you want the atmospheric feel, open headphones are great. If you are a heavy gamer though, I'd suggest closed ones. Total immersion :D . Closed phones can get annoying though for extended sessions, but then again, that helps you to take a break every now and then ;)

I have Sony SA-5000 on the old comp, and ATH-900s on the new one. I definitely prefer phones over speakers, but then again, that's a matter of personal taste and environment (mine is full of sounds...).
 
DeathMan said:
for the price, they're a fantastic value.

anybody know if headphones would be an adequate replacement for good speakers? i know they're two different ballparks, but i currently have Shure E4's, but i don't really use them with my computer... would the quality oust that of speakers?

The Logitech z-5500's would be a good option. They are about the best 5.1 digital PC speakers. I just set up a set in my room and they sound awesome. Headphones are a great alternative to stereo speakers though. You can get better directional positioning in games and the sound quality of a $150-$200 set of cans will rival most high-end speaker setups. Only problem is you always have to wear the headphones if you plan to game, listen to music, or watch a movie. I kinda like being able to listen without having something on my head all the time, especially if i'm laying watching a movie.
 
that's pretty much why i don't use my shure's ($400 headphones... sound great, but get annoying)

the sennheiser's i have tho are nice, over the ear phones. they just don't produce that crisp sound that the klipsch do.

i've had a set of the z5500's.... and i wasn't very impressed. i'd take the klipsch 2.1 over those all over again.

burningrave101 said:
The Logitech z-5500's would be a good option. They are about the best 5.1 digital PC speakers. I just set up a set in my room and they sound awesome. Headphones are a great alternative to stereo speakers though. You can get better directional positioning in games and the sound quality of a $150-$200 set of cans will rival most high-end speaker setups. Only problem is you always have to wear the headphones if you plan to game, listen to music, or watch a movie. I kinda like being able to listen without having something on my head all the time, especially if i'm laying watching a movie.
 
Well if money isn't an issue... why dont you go bookshelves, good ones, although the infinity 150's are better than any computer speakers already named, they aren't high end at all. Head over to AVS to get thesystem that is suited for you.. 2 bookshelves and a sub and receiver etc...
 
a pair of Totem Mites, Totem Lightning sub and a decent small amp would produce some insane 3-D sounding 2.1 bro. costs around 2k but hey what the hell?
 
DeathMan said:
i've used my share of logitech's... not exactly the speaker of choice for the audiophile.

the 5.1 promedia's were an option as well... however i've read many a review on their amps overheating/failing after about a year of use.

how long have you owned the klipsch?

any other suggestions... think along the lines of the Primus speakers.. high end, but newegg won't carry them :p

ive had my klipsch for roughly 2 years now and never had any problems with it. its kinda wierd how logitech and others have 7.1 systems but last time i checked the latest with klipsch are still the 5.1 ultras. like you, i've read many horror stories about the amps and sub failing but so far so good. hopefully i dont jinx myself with that :rolleyes:

best thing to do is to try and listen to them..maybe you can find a place with the primus for a test listen
 
DeathMan said:
i've had a set of the z5500's.... and i wasn't very impressed. i'd take the klipsch 2.1 over those all over again.

Really? I've listend to the Klipsch 2.1 setup at Best Buy before and i dont think they compare to the z-5500's at all. I dont think you can really compare a 200w 2.1 setup to a 500w 5.1 setup. The Klipsch speakers also dont have all the inputs that the z-5500's do nor the fancy control pod or the nice looks. I've read quite a few reviews and i'd have to say the z-5500's are pretty much the best overall for PC speakers. Of course thats PC speakers. If you want to spend a lot of money on bookshelves and a sub and receiver and all that then yeah but most people would rather only spend around $200-$250 on speakers for a computer.
 
aZn_plyR said:
oo someones gonna get flamed :) HHE!
*cough* *holds it in*

ANYWHO

i just salvaged the speakers from old home theatre system... good 1k or so was put into that setup... i should be hooking them up when i get my room cleaned up..... so.... never :p

the X-Fi sounds friggn sweet, i finally got a chance to open it up on my computer... it's a little buggy on the vista beta tho... oh well... the occassional cracks are going away anyhow :D

need more suggestions! if i can, i would like to keep the home theatre system where it is :p
 
Honestly I've never heard better speakers than Klipschs.
Astounding clarity and tight bass. Of course this is subjective.

Also I believe the Klipsch Promedias are the best ones.
I would get 5.1s if I had the means.
 
I have a demo pair of KRK RP8's that I just picked up for a little over $330. I will post pics when I get them tomorrow. I think for the price.. these are one of the best set of desktop stereo speakers you can get.. especially if you are looking for sound quality. You can pick up the RP5 or RP6 for cheaper too. They are powered, bi-amped and have balanced XLR / TRS and also RCA connections.

rp8.jpg
 
pretty


anybody have any personal experience these speakers?

that's in the good price range, so if anybody has any ideas.
 
Try out a set of Onix X-LS bookshelves paired to a Sonic Super T-Amp.

www.av123.com for speakers
www.thinkgeek.com for amp

Give it about 50 hours of burn-in, and you have a beautiful setup.

Ask around www.avsforum.com . Most of the people there will give the same recommendation.

If you need the extra bass, av123 also sells a sub to match the X-LS speakers.
 
Back
Top