Best CPU and MotherBoad Combo for $300

Detox11

n00b
I am in the process of building a new system. I am looking for the best CPU and Motherboard Combo for $300.

I do plan to buy something like a GTX680 GPU, mainly to run three monitors in PLP (light gaming in the middle monitor, web browsing on the side monitors).

I am looking for the best motherboard and CPU combo for $300. My main uses are typical desktop stuff, some light gaming (WoW, maybe try a next gen MMO in 6 months or so) and that's about it.

Recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Detox

You don't need a GTX 680 for WoW, especially if you're using a resolution less than 1920x1080. For that resolution (or lower), stick with one of the Radeon HD 78xx cards. The Radeon cards also support Eyefinity, which allows you to run three monitors off of one video card (provided that one of the monitors uses DisplayPort).

Since you didn't give us any indications on overclocking or motherboard features, you don't really need much:

$267 - Intel Core i5-2400 and Biostar TZ68K+ combo deal

Do you also have some DDR3 RAM? If not, you may want to buy yourself at least one stick to be on the safe side:

$22 - G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM

Please answer the following questions:
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
6) Will you be overclocking?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.

Or you can go with Tiraides' recommendations if you want to be general about it

Thanks for the reponses.

1. I am in Canada

2. Don't have any desire to overclock.

3. The reason I was interested in a GTX680 was mainly because I have a triple monitor setup and my understanding is the GTX680 can run all three monitors on one card. It's a PLP setup (20" Dell, 30" Dell, 20" Dell).

I am buying everything new, but it seems the biggest cost variable is on motherboard and CPU, that is why I kept it to those two components.

Cheers,
Detox

I would say from the features you listed, SLI would be nice, USB 3.0 nice but not an absolute and of course SATA. Don't even know what UEFI is, and don't need the rest.

For your use, you should be fine with the Core i5 3450 for $200 CAD:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70543&vpn=BX80637I53450&manufacture=Intel

Motherboard wise, you should be fine with this:
$110 - Biostar TZ77B Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard

Also some notes about the RAM:
- Make sure that the RAM is rated at 1.5V or lower. Any higher and you risk damage to the CPU.
- Speed and timings don't matter too much. You'll be fine with CAS 9 and DDR3 1333 RAM. You won't notice a performance difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 2133 RAM.

Back