• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best component to upgrade

FearTheCow

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
7,865
Greetings, What part should I upgrade first to improve my gaming performance? It is the computer in my sig and my monitors resolution is 1440x900.
 
Is the HD 5770 1GB not meeting your gaming needs?

Also what OCZ PSU do you have?
 
I would say get more ram (I don't know what games you play but SC2 uses 1.7gb alone on my pc) and a better video card, and a ssd if you can afford it (doesn't increase gaming performance much, loads are decreased a ton but your pc experience will be alot better. Whats your budget? You could get another 2 gb and a gtx 460 768 and that should be quite an upgrade for fairly cheap.

Also I would be worried that the ocz psu could handle it, some of the ocz psu's aren't that great.
 
Well the HD 5770 1GB is pretty much perfect for your resolution of 1440x900. Your CPU is fairly decent as is for gaming. So for a cost-effective upgrade, you'd have to have a larger monitor with a higher resolution to making a GPU upgrade worthwhile.
 
The processor is fine, but more RAM could help matters. If you go that route, just buy a 4GB set of DDR3 1600 RAM; you shouldn't need anything more (or faster) than that.

Before I can help determine whether or not you need a new video card, you need to try using the 5770 in other GPU-centric games.

Though an SSD will reduce load times, it won't improve frame rates. But I'm getting ahead of myself... what's your budget?
 
Budget does not matter so much as I can wait if something is pricey. I also play COHO and usually have the slowest loading times and slight hesitations every once in a while. With the newest WoT patch they added more graphics options. I maxed them all out and in maps where view distance is far I drop down to about 20fps, and if I zoom in and fire the smoke effects drop me down to 12-15fps, would of thought with the resolution I have I would not have low fps period. My thought's were that the cheap RAM I am using is hurting performance, and after upgrading that, getting a 6870.
 
I recommend getting another 4GB of RAM:
$70 - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

The HD 6870 would be a good upgrade. Just don't upgrade to any GPU higher than the HD 6870 due to your PSU.
 
Back
Top