Best/Cheapest 1/4" Input Solution

revo2001

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
1,055
I have two studio monitors that use 1/4" cables. What is the cheapest solution to getting these guys hooked up to my computer? Previously I was using a M-Audio Delta series box but I need to take that to my studio to use while a buddy takes the main studio set up down to Florida for school.

I really don't need all of the inputs and outputs that the Delta box gave me, I just need to hook up my two speakers.

Thanks for your help.
 
Just go to Radioshack and get 1/4" to RCA adapters and then RCA to 3.5mm.
 
Did that, I don't know if it's a bad adapter or what, but the audio is all screwy with it. Any mono sound is fine so I'm guessing it's just a mono adapter and that's all they had at the one near me. I even tested it out on my iPhone and the audio was screwed up. The lyrics sounded like they were in the back and the drums were extraordinarily loud.

If there isn't a cheap sound card or box, I'm gonna grab 2 1/4" to 3.5mm from monoprice and then a Y cable to bring two 3.5 to one stereo 3.5mm.
 
A mono is all you should need. Mono 1/4" to RCA adapter (one for each speaker) and then RCA to 3.5mm stereo.

Try pushing in the adapter in further until it clicks.
 
A mono is all you should need. Mono 1/4" to RCA adapter (one for each speaker) and then RCA to 3.5mm stereo.

Try pushing in the adapter in further until it clicks.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking of doing now that the straight 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter hasn't worked out.

Oh trust me, I've tried out all of the simple shit first.
 
Pushing it firmly 'till it's all the way in isn't simple? :p Did you make sure there isn't any dust or other crap stuck in there?
 
Pushing it firmly 'till it's all the way in isn't simple? :p Did you make sure there isn't any dust or other crap stuck in there?

I think you misread what I said. I said I tried all of the simple, obvious stuff first. There's no dust in the computer sound inputs nor my iPhone. There's also no dust in the sound adapter.
 
Yeah I did, sorry. I don't see why 1/4" to RCA to 3.5mm would work any better though, I'd sooner try a different adapter to make sure that one isn't just a bum one that's soldered wrong on the inside or something.
 
Back
Top