Best card for $100?

Superhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a new video card for $100. I don't have much wiggle room, so don't recommend cards that are $130 or $140.

The rig I'm gonna be using it in is in my sig. Keep in mind my PSU is only a 480W Antec TrueBlue with 28A on the 12v rail. I'm gonna be gaming at 1680x1050.

Please don't bother posting "build a new system".

Maybe GTS 250 after MIR.

Kind of a bottleneck you have there with a single core.

Maybe GTS 250 after MIR.

Kind of a bottleneck you have there with a single core.

I understand, but I don't have money to build a new rig, and even a bottlenecked video card will be an upgrade over what I was using.

If you're really on a budget and your gaming needs are not too high :

HD4670

For around 100$US : HD4830 or 9800GT

Or else the FS/FT for an old 8800/9800

Used 8800GT. I game at 1680x1050 on my heavily OC'ed one and don't see any reason to upgrade yet. Sans Crysis/Warhead of course...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I think I'm gonna go with this Sapphire 4830.

After doing some research, it seems like it OCs like a beast and will match a 4850 when OCed.

Doesn't look like you can beat this card for $90.

Okay, but when you find no difference in performance when you overclock the card, understand that it's your CPU holding you back. I'm not even sure you'd notice a difference between a 4670 and a 4830. Going dual-core really is that big of a deal for gaming.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I think I'm gonna go with this Sapphire 4830.

After doing some research, it seems like it OCs like a beast and will match a 4850 when OCed.

the card itself is a great deal but as others have mentioned it wont mean shit in some games with your outdated single core cpu. even in older games that dont take advantage of multi core, the new cpus are much faster clock for clock. some games will barely be playable with that cpu and many others will not even get half the performance that the 4830 is capable of.

His CPU is still good enough to play source games if that's what he's doing. Hell, some of the source games don't even support multi cores, my P4 got better performance then my C2D.

His CPU is still good enough to play source games if that's what he's doing. Hell, some of the source games don't even support multi cores, my P4 got better performance then my C2D.
well if its just old source games then he doesnt need to upgrade his card either. sorry but even an older 1.86 core 2 was faster clock for clock than a 3.2 P4 even in single threaded apps. also if you are running your E4500 cpu at stock speeds with that 4870 then you sure dont even understand how cpu limited you are yourself in some games.

My Prescott 630 blew away my E4500 in TF2, which up until recently only used 1 core.

edit: 1 core at stock speeds, but im running this baby at 3.2ghz right now if your wondering

My Prescott 630 blew away my E4500 in TF2, which up until recently only used 1 core.
well if you say so but benchmarks sure as heck dont back that up. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2903&p=6

see even the slower 1.8 E4300 beats the faster Pentium D at 3.4 which has 2 cores that were each faster than your single core 3.0 P4 so theres NO way what you said could be true. a 2.2 E4500 would walk all over a 3.0 single core P4 even in single threaded apps.

Well, I ordered the Sapphire 4830 this morning from Newegg. $90 + free shipping and $15 MIR = $81 with tax

Can't beat that. Hopefully some time in the next few months I can build a new system and unleash this 4830's full potential.

Fairly sure an 8800 GT 512MB would've been faster and cost about the same used without having to worry about MIRs.

Lifetime warranty is only transferable with XFX cards, and that's IF it was registered by the original user in the first 30 days.

Sorry, but I don't have time to find a used card that probably has no warranty. I've already been without a video card for 6 weeks.

Superhuman: Don't look back! I just bought this same extact VC for a friend of mine. Built him a semi-short money build (appx. $450.00) & I already received my confirmation from WorldWideRebates that my $15.00 rebate was accepted. You'll get a tracking # from WWR & they have never let me down!

The 4830 is a nice card for $75.00 (I bought a few weeks back w/ free S/H from NG) If you find your CPU might be a bottleneck, you can find a short money upgrade on eBay or even NG for the AMD X2's. Good luck & good choice IMHO!

Superhuman: Don't look back! I just bought this same extact VC for a friend of mine. Built him a semi-short money build (appx. $450.00) & I already received my confirmation from WorldWideRebates that my $15.00 rebate was accepted. You'll get a tracking # from WWR & they have never let me down!

The 4830 is a nice card for $75.00 (I bought a few weeks back w/ free S/H from NG) If you find your CPU might be a bottleneck, you can find a short money upgrade on eBay or even NG for the AMD X2's. Good luck & good choice IMHO!

Awesome.

Yea, even with a bottleneck it's gonna be way better than what I had before.

Cough up like $30 more and get yourself an HD4850, it'll be a huge improvement over those cards under the $100 mark and the next jump up from that would cost you another $100 so the HD4850 would be your best bet imo.

Do none of you know how to read?

I ALREADY BOUGHT THE 4830.

AND I ALREADY TOLD YOU TO NOT BOTHER TELLING ME MY CPU IS A BOTTLENECK.

Bunch of captain obviouses in this thread.

Do none of you know how to read?

I ALREADY BOUGHT THE 4830.

AND I ALREADY TOLD YOU TO NOT BOTHER TELLING ME MY CPU IS A BOTTLENECK.

Bunch of captain obviouses in this thread.

I just noticed that dickhead, but anyways that HD4830 is going to be as slow as balls compared to a HD4850 which would of cost you only a tad bit more. A very bad buy was made on your part.

I just noticed that dickhead, but anyways that HD4830 is going to be as slow as balls compared to a HD4850 which would of cost you only a tad bit more. A very bad buy was made on your part.

That's just not true. 4830 isn't all that much slower compared to a 4850. The 4830's are known to be pretty good OCers and have near 4850 performance for much cheaper. 4850's don't OC well. A 4870 would be an improvement for around $150, but for the $75AR that he probably got that card for, a 4830 is definitely a good buy.

more silly advice from you? the 4850 is barely faster even with a good system to back that up. with a single core 3500 cpu a 4850 would provide zero improvement over a 4830.

Why don't you read a couple reviews, DICKHEAD.

The 4830 is only slightly behind the 4850 in performance, and an OC'd 4830 will not only meet 4850 performance, but also surpass it in some cases.

And why would I spend more money on the 4850 when even the 4830 is gonna be bottlenecked?

How about you use your fucking head before you call me a dickhead.

Umm yeah good call on the 4830. It's like the "economy" BMW, heh.

Newegg will have your back.

QuickS = FAIL ? I think so... Pretty sure that his argument about different CPU's and systems were based solely on 'feel' in another thread.

Good deal on the 4830 Superhuman, you won't be disappointed.

QuickS = FAIL ? I think so... Pretty sure that his argument about different CPU's and systems were based solely on 'feel' in another thread.

Good deal on the 4830 Superhuman, you won't be disappointed.
better than the 7900gt? sure but he will never know what the 4830 can actually do as long as he using a slow outdated single core cpu.

::eats more popcorn:: Common lets not hate in here, it's just a gpu people. ::snickers::

Back