Best Buy Sends Newegg Cease and Desist Letter

I don't give a crap about Best Buy. Everyone knows how they were scheming to put Circuit City out of business so I don't buy their "we welcome fair competition" bull shit.

TV prices in my town at best Buy went up a good $300-1000 depending on model when the Circuit City closed. Their idea of 'fair competition' went out the window when they became the only game in town to buy an HDTV locally. Our Sears is too rinky-dink to really compete on selection.

I was shopping for a plasma, and if it hadn't been the first one I'd ever owned, I would have jumped right on with Amazon. When I tried to get BB to price match their online price, the sales guy about shit his pants. So that was a no-go. Luckily a week later, a nationwide sale hit, and it was actually good that I'd waited. That was the last big ticket item I'll ever buy at BBY, barring sick open box finds or crazy price matches.

Legally speaking, even if Newegg didn't use Best Buy's exact logo in the commercial, it did use Best Buy's "likeness" which is some legal cases has been treated almost as the same thing. And if they didn't use Best Buy's likeness, then you obviously wouldn't have understood what Newegg was mocking to begin with.

I really hope Newegg's response to that letter was to have someone sit on the copy machine and fax them a scan of their asshole.

I hope Newegg's response is hidden camera footage of 2 or 3 dozen actual Best Buy associates providing help on this level that the Actor made in order to develop his character in a true to life manner.

The really sad thing is best buy used to have knowledgeable people. Some douche in the corporate structure then decided that it would be a GOOD idea to save the company money buy replace its knowledgeable people with people it would have to pay less, and provide less benefits to. Today on those RARE...RARE occasions when I just have to have a piece of tech right now I usually walk into Best Buy only to laugh at how absurd the technology side of the store is theses days. Usually the ONLY way a best buy employee can help me is possibly locating a specific item that I already know what I want. Usually the question I get is something like "can I help you sir" from some teenager who would be flipping burgers or stuffing tacos if they weren't working at Best Buy. The answer that immediately pops into my mind is NO I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO TEACH/TRAIN YOU ABOUT TECHNOLOGY FOR US TO EVEN HAVE AN INTELLIGENT CONVERSATION. You know you've run into these folks usually when their eyes glaze over about 10 seconds into the conversation. They guys behind the geek squad counter are a little better but not by much. Not that I would know I think i've gotten to talk to one once. They work as if the whips of their masters were at their very backs, and red hot pokers might come out if a conversation with me is not filling the company's coffers with ridiculously overpriced services. To top all of that off I find many times customers attempting to track down employees to help them often turn to me as I scramble at break neck speed to get in and out of this hellish backwater technology anachronism because I somehow look like I might be able to help them. To top that off even further they're prices suck. I've never found an item cheaper at Best Buy than at newegg period. In long best buy is only good for those technology purchases where you know what you want, you need it right now, and you're willing to be slightly molested price wise to do so. Maybe that's just in Arkansas though:)

No, that's about right...

I found out why bb is asking newegg to stop... its not because of the blue shirts or anything else its because of the slogan... take it from a geek.... guess bb thinks they own the word geek

Legally speaking, even if Newegg didn't use Best Buy's exact logo in the commercial, it did use Best Buy's "likeness" which is some legal cases has been treated almost as the same thing. And if they didn't use Best Buy's likeness, then you obviously wouldn't have understood what Newegg was mocking to begin with.

They are mocking "big box stores"

In all honesty does anyone believe that the CompUSA, Circuit City, Wal-Mart or Fry's sales people are any more helpful than that? They have a pretty good case that it's not targeted at any specific brand, but at a generic type of store.

Anyone notice the clean packaging at the end of the Newegg video? That can't be Newegg.

I like getting boxes the size of a car tire when all i ordered was a tube of thermal paste or something.

There's usually a smaller box inside.

In all fairness to Best Buy employees, they have no real obligation to know more about the products than they do. They don't get paid commission and their pay is similar to any other retail place. I.E. Maybe $10/hour and that's being optimistic. Technology is always fast moving, so if they're not into computers/electronics as a hobby, I don't expect them to keep up with all of the latest tech. Obviously with Geek Squad, I'll be less lenient on the spouting of BS, but not some teenager in the usual blue polo.

With how similar laptops are, I'd probably have to look at the tag to get the ball rolling on telling you the differences. Sure, I'd be able to answer more in-depth questions after that, but if you're knowledgeable enough to be asking those questions in the first place, you probably already know what you're looking for.

Best Buy as a company puts very little effort (if any at all) in training their employees about the products they sell.

I'm not being a BB apologist, nor do I agree with a lot of their business practices. But I also think you (as the customer) are a douche-bag if you suddenly give one of our blue-shirted friends a pop-quiz on the differences between Radeon 6870 & a GTX560, and scoff at him when he doesn't give you the answer you're looking for. Seriously, what do you expect?

In all fairness to Best Buy employees, they have no real obligation to know more about the products than they do.
The people at the supermarket don't have to either, but they still seem to know more about the products then I do. That's what you expect from the store.
They don't get paid commission and their pay is similar to any other retail place. I.E. Maybe $10/hour and that's being optimistic.
I doubt it. They'd know nothing "&" harass you in the store. That's my experience with Circuit City employee's.
Technology is always fast moving, so if they're not into computers/electronics as a hobby, I don't expect them to keep up with all of the latest tech. Obviously with Geek Squad, I'll be less lenient on the spouting of BS, but not some teenager in the usual blue polo.
If you're working at a store like Best Buy, then you'd better know something about the latest tech. That's like a pharmacist who knows nothing about medicine.

I'm not being a BB apologist, nor do I agree with a lot of their business practices. But I also think you (as the customer) are a douche-bag if you suddenly give one of our blue-shirted friends a pop-quiz on the differences between Radeon 6870 & a GTX560, and scoff at him when he doesn't give you the answer you're looking for. Seriously, what do you expect?
I did that a few weeks ago actually. I gave a Best Buy employee a pop quiz if a Nvidia graphics card was DX11 or not. He failed.

If I asked him if the HDTV was 1080P or not, he better know. Otherwise, what good is your ass to begin with anyway? What do Best Buy employee's do anyway?

they missed the part where you can't walk around a corner without some blue shirt douche asking me if i need help , it makes it impossible to even by a blu-ray in peace!

:):):):):) ROFLMAO

Pros: Very funny ad.

Cons: Newegg will have to spend a buttload for lawyers to defend itself.

Other Thoughts: If you get the gist of this reply, you've actually spent some time shopping at Newegg. To Newegg, spend the money on the lawyers, then tell BB where to go! Made my day, thx Newegg.

:):):):):) ROFLMAO

Pros: Very funny ad.

Cons: Newegg will have to spend a buttload for lawyers to defend itself.

Other Thoughts: If you get the gist of this reply, you've actually spent some time shopping at Newegg. To Newegg, spend the money on the lawyers, then tell BB where to go! Made my day, thx Newegg.

+1

You win today's internets!

The people at the supermarket don't have to either, but they still seem to know more about the products then I do. That's what you expect from the store.

I doubt it. They'd know nothing "&" harass you in the store. That's my experience with Circuit City employee's.

If you're working at a store like Best Buy, then you'd better know something about the latest tech. That's like a pharmacist who knows nothing about medicine.

I did that a few weeks ago actually. I gave a Best Buy employee a pop quiz if a Nvidia graphics card was DX11 or not. He failed.

If I asked him if the HDTV was 1080P or not, he better know. Otherwise, what good is your ass to begin with anyway? What do Best Buy employee's do anyway?

Take up space, harass (potentially) paying customers, and draw a paycheck...

Wait, they called the worker in the video "slovenly"? He's much more clean cut than what I'd usually see in an actual best buy.

Am I the only one that started laughing at 'expert reviews' ?

Yeah, I guess I just don't like the cockiness of newegg.

I've shopped their almost since its inception, but aren't these the same experts that sold counterfeit Intel CPUs (and lied that they weren't after it was pointed out to them by our very own HardOCP crew)?

Supermarket? Sure maybe the bakery or the meat department, and the range of things needed to know for those positions seems quite a bit narrower, to me. You also usually need to have experience to be hired as a Butcher or a Baker, as well. Ask the stock boy to give you a tangible difference between Cheez-Its and Cheese Nips, though, and he'll only be able to tell you something if he's tried them both. Also, what is he going to describe to you, more than taste differences to him (Remember, no looking at the box/label)?

What do you doubt? The amount they make? The only thing they're obligated to perform on is warranty sales, which is company policy. I'm sure he/she doesn't want to be fired. So, of course, they're going to be pushing them.

How can you compare their jobs to a Pharmacist? A Pharmacist requires a degree AND needs to be licensed by the state to even be allowed behind the counter. What a night and day comparison.

As for whether they know the differences between resolutions for HDTV's, I bet they do. But, I wouldn't expect them to know the difference between True 120Hz Refresh & Interpolated 120Hz. Would you honestly expect them to?

Yeah, I guess I just don't like the cockiness of newegg.

I've shopped their almost since its inception, but aren't these the same experts that sold counterfeit Intel CPUs (and lied that they weren't after it was pointed out to them by our very own HardOCP crew)?

It wasn't their fault at all. Somewhere between them and Intel they got stolen. And if I was Newegg, I would have suspected that it "couldn't have happened" too.

The front page text makes it seem like it is all about the video, but it is two separate issues.

One being the use of the phrase "Geek On" which uses a power button in the logo. Best Buy is claiming the word Geek used next to a power button will cause confusion.

The second issue blue shirt guy in the video is assumed to be a Best Buy employee.

It looks like NewEgg already caved in on the first issue. If you go to their site now the sweepstakes section is called "Tech On" and still uses the power button logo.

Looked like someone from Wal-mart to me...

Who is is next on BB shit list, ThinkGEEKS, ComputerGEEKS. Quit taking orders from Monstercable and fuck off.

I do enjoy going to Futureshop (Same store as BestBuy Canada) and listen to these guy try and explain computer stuff... my fav is the colour coded plugs on the back of the PC so when you move it (which happens all the time) you can get the plugs back in the right spot! then there is the extended warranty services and monster power bar they want sell which costs more then the 350$ grandma wants to buy

They almost nailed the BB impersonation. After looking at both of the sales tags, the salesman shouldn't have said "Uhm, I don't really know", he should have said "Uhm, they both qualify for our product replacement plan.".:p

Looked like someone from Wal-mart to me...

Seriously, don't they wear blue shirts too? Though I think BB is hammering more on the power-button logo issue, which I honestly didn't notice watching it ...

Though generally Amazon > Newegg, Newegg >>>>>>>> (that enough)? BB. People always want me to go with them to get a new computer at Best Buy and I HATE doing it, not because the doofus in the blue shirt is a moron (though he usually is), but because he THINKS he knows something. Having to argue with them in front of family/friends is not fun. Especially when they follow their advice instead of mine and call me later when it doesn't work.

Reading whats on those information tags at the stores, I would also come to the same conclusion. That's why I Newegg, all the specs are given when I'm looking at the info and the company website when I can't find what I am looking for.

lol i have found BB sales guys more pushy than dumb but they were also dumb

Best Buy should object. The store in the commercial is designed to make people think of Best Buy and then it slanderously presents Best Buy employees as totally ignorant. Then Newegg lies about itself by passing off consumer reviews as expert reviews.

Best Buy should object. The store in the commercial is designed to make people think of Best Buy and then it slanderously presents Best Buy employees as totally ignorant. Then Newegg lies about itself by passing off consumer reviews as expert reviews.

Love the sarcasm. :D

Yeah newegg probably already replaced the video with a more neutral one, or it's just not the same video the letter refers to.
I'll try to be more constructive: I'm willing to give long private lessons to the cute ginger! ^-^

Back