Best Buy Dynex Case w/500W PSU $19.99 FS

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
I grabbed the last two here in stock this morning. The guy had to climb to the top shelf to get 'em. He nearly crapped a gift card when he saw the price on them. They also had one of those big behemoth Rocketfish Lian-Li'ish cases for like $79, guess that's a clearance price, the box that comes in was big enough to fit a few midgets into lol.

I grabbed the last two here in stock this morning. The guy had to climb to the top shelf to get 'em. He nearly crapped a gift card when he saw the price on them. They also had one of those big behemoth Rocketfish Lian-Li'ish cases for like $79, guess that's a clearance price, the box that comes in was big enough to fit a few midgets into lol.

If he craps a gift card, can you claim it? :D:D

Here are some pictures of case and Power Supply label is still sorta hard to read in photo,,,1st +12V lead is 16a and the second +12V is 18a

dynexcase1.jpg

dynexcase2.jpg

cablesleevingDynex.jpg

dynexPSlabel.jpg

These cases while not the most attractive, which is entirely subjective, are very well built. I've had a few of these and just picked up the last 2 in north houston and they are HEAVIER and built just as solid as the low-end antec cases like the NSK series, which I also have a handful of to compare to. They are much more solid by FAR than the typical $30-$40 Raidmax/generic cases you can pickup at the local Fry's or Directron/etc. as well.

As for the PSU, it's obviously not the equivalent of a Seasonic 500, but neither are 99% of the computers out there built by HP, Dell, Gateway, and such and those work fine for the most part and so will these. If you're not running an overclocked quad and high end GPU, there's nothing wrong with low-midgrade PSU's. Most office systems will load at under 200W and average at well under 200W, which is why not every Dell blows up in the first month.

As a part-time system builder, my stock low-end PSU's for years have been the HEC Orion 500-600w series that are only ~$20. They're obviously not really 600W PSU's but they power multiple dental and medical offices 24/7 without a single problem and I can say that the PSU included in this bundle appears much more solid than the cheapo $20 ones I've been using for years.

Don't crap on cheap PSU's just because you think everyone needs a PCP&C 1000w PSU when you have no real experience with cheaper models that work fine for some applications :) Dell/HP engineers know what they're doing, which is why you void everything if you try to throw in a 9800gx2 in one of their $300 inspirons, expensive PSU's aren't for everyone.

I picked up the last two here in JC, MO and they seem to be very nice cases for the most part. A buddy of mine met me there and another buddy called me while we were there and they both wanted one. Ended up ordering 2 which are going to be shipped to my buddy's house and a third one is going to be shipped to the store. I'll get the third one and the other two will get the two remaining. It's too good of a deal to pass up at $20. I have no use for the PSUs in them, but they should be nice to keep around for emergency spares. Either that or I'll just rip the fans out of them and use them elsewhere.

They guy that checked to see if there were any more in back about shit his pants when he saw the price on them. He was kind of pissed that he didn't know about it or he would have grabbed a couple for himself.

i grabbed one from pittsburgh and may grab another one. These things are built pretty solid, it has more airflow than most cheapy cases, and i think is the great start to a little mid tower mod and paintjob.

I'm relatively impressed with the psu, i had it apart last night and while its not high end by any means, its heavy and looks a step above the cheapy case psu's we have all come to know and hate. I'm actually going to use it in a system that i have around, great for a non-enthusiast system.

This whole thing definitely is a better deal than some of the 20 dollar cases i've pulled off the egg. The hard drive bay is probably one of the best things i've seen in a value case.

Oh and it's a chenbro, it shows up as such in their computer.

I got the last one from Holyoke, MA. All I need to do is order a Q6600 and a copy of Vista next week, and my new build is ready. :D

man I was at my local BB a freaking day before this and they had one.. now its gone.. sigh

i saw 2 more at the gresham oregon store... i woulda picked them up, but i'm too choosy about psu's ;p and the case wasn't all that intrigueing... $20 is just too good to pass up.

I would recommend against using the power supply it comes with.

Because...?

1)They are peak rated at 25c at normally 100w above continuous units that are then being over rated again by Best Buy.
2) I have 6 dead Huntkey units sitting here 2 of which use the same base model and design.
3) One of the dead units blew out on the AC side taking out equipment while 2 others blew out on the DC side.

Etc.

I would not recommend using that power supply.

1)They are peak rated at 25c at normally 100w above continuous units that are then being over rated again by Best Buy.
2) I have 6 dead Huntkey units sitting here 2 of which use the same base model and design.
Do you repair systems or something? There is something about drawing conclusions around biased source data (How many bad Huntkey PSUs are bad? Um, 100%!). ;)

This linked thread made me laugh in light of your post, how it relates to defect rates or not, by user "hardware_failure": Best Buy Dynex Case w/500W PS

Do you repair systems or something? There is something about drawing conclusions around biased source data (How many bad Huntkey PSUs are bad? Um, 100%!). ;)

This linked thread made me laugh in light of your post, how it relates to defect rates or not, by user "hardware_failure": Best Buy Dynex Case w/500W PS

Oh, no I'm sorry you seem to not understand. I don't sit and pontificate on whether hardware is good or works as advertised I actually test it in a controlled manner unlike, well the majority of people who say this product is x,y, or z. I apologize for assuming you knew that.

Now that said....the units are under designed and over rated.

Oh, no I'm sorry you seem to not understand. I don't sit and pontificate on whether hardware is good or works as advertised I actually test it in a controlled manner unlike, well the majority of people who say this product is x,y, or z. I apologize for assuming you knew that.

Now that said....the units are under designed and over rated.
Yeah, there must be some problems with the assumptions. I didn't realize you did a "controlled" evaluation on this PSU where apparently 6 units died. I didn't see it linked on the main hardocp page, so don't hold it against me too much.

But thanks anyways for your anecdotal, unexplained data. It will occupy a data point in the limited amount of usage data for this particular model (not superficially similar or different models, this particular one). I think i'll use the fact that I had a tasty ham and cheese sandwich for lunch as another data point. ;)

Yeah, there must be some problems with the assumptions. I didn't realize you did a "controlled" evaluation on this PSU where apparently 6 units died. I didn't see it linked on the main hardocp page, so don't hold it against me too much.

But thanks anyways for your anecdotal, unexplained data. It will occupy a data point in the limited amount of usage data for this particular model (not superficially similar or different models, this particular one). I think i'll use the fact that I had a tasty ham and cheese sandwich for lunch as another data point. ;)

Actually no it isn't anecdotal (as there is no hearsay I am the source of data and the units were tested under reproducable conditions in accordance with general scientific methods as they are applicable to the situation) unexplained data as you have incorrectly stated, it is randomly sampled data points from which I explained the general failure modes to you that involved a range of OEM and branded Huntkey based units I have tested for future articles and from reference platforms.

Actually no it isn't anecdotal (as there is no hearsay I am the source of data and the units were tested under reproducable conditions in accordance with general scientific methods as they are applicable to the situation) unexplained data as you have incorrectly stated, it is randomly sampled data points from which I explained the general failure modes to you that involved a range of OEM and branded Huntkey based units I have tested for future articles and from reference platforms.
Curiosity piqued.
Do we have an ETA on this article?
Being Huntkey, I would assume there are some Rocketfish and Dynex PSUs in there...

Curiosity piqued.
Do we have an ETA on this article?
Being Huntkey, I would assume there are some Rocketfish and Dynex PSUs in there...

Due to some damage suffered during their testing it will be some time unfortunately.

Actually no it isn't anecdotal (as there is no hearsay I am the source of data and the units were tested under reproducable conditions in accordance with general scientific methods as they are applicable to the situation)
Cool! When are you going to start including that data in the PSU reviews at [H]? :p

Cool! When are you going to start including that data in the PSU reviews at [H]? :p

From here on out we shall not actually test units in the reproducible controlled methodology we outlined here http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0 rather we will go with the "gee we plugged it in and it didn't blow up when we turned it on, tripl platinum award" methodology you prefer. Or not, if you have an actual well thought out and reasoned issue with our methodology as opposed to a flippant quip to make youself look witty please feel free to start a thread in the PSU forum so we can address your concerns.

I do look forward to your top secret, if infinitely delayed, scientific-iness review of your collection of broken, superficially similar or completely different Huntkey PSUs. :cool: Really, I will appreciate it. This no 'shen'.

LOL @ the riced out PSU on page 4.

The Delta passed. Did you mean that one? :cool: ;)

JonnyGuru seems to do some nice work at his site. Thanks for the link.

Jonny and Paul pretty much do the same work. They have different focuses, but they methods are quite similar.

I bit, bought the last one from Culver City, CA BB.
I don't need a case at the moment but I figured for that kind of money you would not be able to buy one or the other not to mention both case and PSU. I will keep it as a spare in case one of my two systems blows up !
DK

Well, I have two of the cases and have a third one on the way. I just want them for the cases as they are pretty damn nice for what they are and practically a steal at $20. I'm pulling the PSUs for ones I know work just fine for all the current systems I have running. As of now I'm just replacing the half to three quarters missing cases I am currently using. However, I plan on putting some older parts in the old cases and putting them in another room. While I have PSUs for them, I'll probably just end up using these Dynex 500 watt PSUs. I'm sure they'll be able to handle an old Athlon T-Bird and a P3 800 system without too much trouble.

Even if they don't handle them too well, I'm not going to be out much in the way of hardware as long as they don't take out the wireless cards I'll have installed.

Back