Best Buy Beta

I'm just going to repeat myself.

This subscription service INCLUDES APPLECARE on all Apple purchases. A single Macbook Applecare purchase is more expensive than the entire subscription fee. People are going to buy the shit out of this, every single person that buys an iPhone or Mac would be stupid not to.

You get something you were going to buy anyway for cheaper than it costs alone, plus all the other benefits of the service. No brainer.

I'm just going to repeat myself.

This subscription service INCLUDES APPLECARE on all Apple purchases. A single Macbook Applecare purchase is more expensive than the entire subscription fee. People are going to buy the shit out of this, every single person that buys an iPhone or Mac would be stupid not to.

You get something you were going to buy anyway for cheaper than it costs alone, plus all the other benefits of the service. No brainer.
Yeah, but... you looked past the lynchmob and actually read into the details of something.

That's not a good thing around these parts. Bess be careful.

When Amazon actually does ship items it only takes a couple of days. The thing is, now the items languish in the preparing the order stage for several days before shipping. It's as if they prioritize order processing by how close the customer is to a distribution center.

I love B&H. Most of my tech-based orders are through them these days. Just as you say, their delivery is reliably fast. Well . . . except for right now because of Passover, but I won't fault them that.

That is true about Amazon which is weird.

Yeah B&H is good because nothing is sold by third parties thank god! It like the old Newegg use to be. I miss that from Newegg. Still Newegg can be a good backup.

Do you have any idea why they have so many holidays anyway ?

I know they are only in one location New York City. :(

Yeah, but... you looked past the lynchmob and actually read into the details of something.

That's not a good thing around these parts. Bess be careful.

The internet is so fucking dumb these days, it's astonishing.

Let's take another use case - all the boomers who pay someone to mount their TVs on their wall. I sure as hell know my parents aren't doing it themselves.BB charges $149 for basic TV mounting and $199 for premium mounting, plus materials.

This subscription service includes FREE WALL MOUNTING of TVs and costs $199.

Home run. Imagine if you buy a TV and a Mac the same year? You're in the green $250 already without any of the other benefits.

Check out all the other shit they do....smart home device installs, built in BBQ installs, they will run gas lines, install built in wall and ceiling speakers, run home theater wires, wired camera installs, etc, etc, etc. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-b.../pcmcat1608643408172.c?id=pcmcat1608643408172

They are going to have to jack the price on this or cut services, I would be in the money several thousand dollars in the past year alone on this stuff.

Also there was a time when Amazon paid for next day shipping on anything basically no matter how far away it was in the US in one of their Amazon warehouses. I miss that too. Yes you did have to pay like $3.99 extra as a Prime member but 2 day shipping was free still.

I had a heavy, really heavy, computer chair delivered by Fedex Next Day (forgot the exact method sorry before Christmas)

Did pay the $2.99 or $3.99 extra for it to be Next Day but it was well worth it. Yes it did really take 2 days but FedEx put a note on it that the trailer broke or something. That or it missed being shipped out for some reason. Still got to me before Christmas right on time. So no worries.

I wonder why Amazon got rid of this for items that are far away ? I be easily willing to pay a little extra for faster Amazon Prime shipping again and a lot more for same day shipping.

I looked at the same chair now it says like 1 to 2 days processing or ships in 1 or 2 days then will be delivered in like 3 to 5 days to me :( Weird.

Your readying comprehension is suspect if all you saw in my post was the stock shot.

BBY has also had around 100-110,000 employees for years now. And they still have over 100,000. So I'd suggest you verify whatever information you're looking at that states they've dropped almost a 5th or their workforce.

Cutting store roles and replacing them with additional headcount in logistics is how they're surviving and thriving. Business models shift.
Their model hasn't shifted at all. They are laying people off cause in a lot of jurisdictions they are not allowed to be open... or not allowed to be open at full capacity. The City I live in they where closed for months. They where then allowed to open to something like 10% capacity. I think now its up to 25%. SO YES they laid off a ton of people... many of them part time yes.

Still if you LOOK at their actual quarterly numbers sales are up... and profits are up. However when you factor in the down sizing it pretty much directly correlates to the increase in profit margin. In other words they haven't gained anything in terms of margin. There margin has really stayed stagnate. They have simply cut salary which has buffed the number. When things go back to normal they are going to have to bring staffing levels back up OR change their model yes. But they haven't announced any over arching plan to close stores have they ? I didn't hear they where moving to online only. I am hearing they are planning to continue running their Brick and Mortars... which means re staffing them. I would say over the next few quarters they would be doing extremely well if they only slide sales numbers single digits. If they can manage that shareholders will probably not flip out. However if they slide double digits ya expect the stock to suffer... and for big investors to start pissing and moaning about the cost of the stores and the staff numbers that go with them.

The pandemic was probably the worse thing that could happen to Best buy imo. Yes they got a big pop in sales this year... and they got to save some $ letting part time and some full time staff go. However they are going to have to try and spin their stores back up... and I know from working in that market 20 years ago (I did manage a FS for a year or so back then) that the margins in a store running well are razor thin. (trust me BB has 977 stores in the US 200 of them are the ones making all the profit... probably 400 of them are loosing money) Firing those stores back up is going to be rocky and they are going to have a painful quarter or two is my guess. The pandemic has probably ensured that Best Buy will close the majority of their stores over the next 5 or so years. Will they make it as a online store with 1 or 2 flag ship stores in the major cities ? Who knows maybe, but they probably had a few more years to consider things before this year. Now I have almost no doubt share holders will be pushing them to make major decisions much sooner.

The internet is so fucking dumb these days, it's astonishing.

Let's take another use case - all the boomers who pay someone to mount their TVs on their wall. I sure as hell know my parents aren't doing it themselves.BB charges $149 for basic TV mounting and $199 for premium mounting, plus materials.

This subscription service includes FREE WALL MOUNTING of TVs and costs $199.

Home run. Imagine if you buy a TV and a Mac the same year? You're in the green $250 already without any of the other benefits.

Check out all the other shit they do....smart home device installs, built in BBQ installs, they will run gas lines, install built in wall and ceiling speakers, run home theater wires, wired camera installs, etc, etc, etc. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-b.../pcmcat1608643408172.c?id=pcmcat1608643408172

They are going to have to jack the price on this or cut services, I would be in the money several thousand dollars in the past year alone on this stuff.

Do they hang projector screens too ?

Do they hang projector screens too ?
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.41.55 PM.png

Imagine if you buy a TV and a Mac the same year? You're in the green $250 already without any of the other benefits.
Does this fall under Nvidia's Buy More Save More policy? You're not in the green if you've already bought a Mac & at TV.

I'll hand it to Best Buy's marketing team, they know how to reel em in.

You're not in the green if you've already bought a Mac & at TV.

I'll hand it to Best Buy's marketing team, they know how to wring em in.

I have a 3990x threadripper rig too. I build and buy the best machines available, and my M1 Macbook shreds whatever laptop you have performance wise.

Does anyone else know if there is any other stores like Best Buy or BH Photo & Video that sell electronics without third party sellers ? Like that have same day or next day shipping too for a reasonable price ?

I wish Microcenter sold everything online. I know they don't :(

That is true about Amazon which is weird.

Yeah B&H is good because nothing is sold by third parties thank god! It like the old Newegg use to be. I miss that from Newegg. Still Newegg can be a good backup.

Do you have any idea why they have so many holidays anyway ?

I know they are only in one location New York City. :(
I've noticed they're Jewish holidays, so I assume B&H's owners are Jewish and/or they have a lot of Jewish employees. No surprise really given where they're based.

Another sign that Best Buy is getting closer to kicking the bucket.
Good, because they deserve it. Went there the other day to buy a HDMI cable for $80. I complained about the price but the guy assured me that the ones I find online for $8 are poor quality. They deserve to fade away from existence.

Good, because they deserve it. Went there the other day to buy a HDMI cable for $80. I complained about the price but the guy assured me that the ones I find online for $8 are poor quality. They deserve to fade away from existence.
Fuckin lol. Must have been a son or daughter of a car salesman.

I get the Amazon Basics cables for $7.99, they work great.

That is really like the only thing they stock is TVs.
Not true of the one near me...
They have about 5 isles of computers , then a whole section of appliances, 2 aisles of phones another section for housewares and who knows what else. but its way more than just TVs.

All I saw on BB site were cheap cables. They didn't have monster or any of the other high end brands.

It's okay to admit you're wrong you know...
How can an opinion be wrong? If we can't come on this forum without sharing our opinion, then what? Kyle may as well shut it down.

Are we supposed to run our opinions through wannabe fact checkers before we post them?

Let me be clear, I do not care if you believe me or not. Its my opinion, you're entitled to your own also.

I have no doubt you can find cheap cables on Best Buys website. You can find all sorts of stuff on the Canadian Best Buy site... but 3/4 is sold by "market place" sellers. In other words it isn't sold by Best buy just through their site. I can't speak to how the US site works... I'm sure the US site isn't exactly the same.

Yes I can go on Bestbuy.ca and buy cheap cables ect... and wait a day or two longer then buying a similar cable from Amazon.ca (and I know for a fact cause I have looked in the past... often from the same third party seller. who shocking sells cheaper through amazon... and the delivery difference is generally fulfilled by amazon. So your millage may very I do get some stuff same day so ya Amazon for the win if your close to a warehouse)

And I admit its been at least a year since I been inside a BB store as where I am there still under pretty strict lockdown measures and I am not lining up outside a best buy for 15 min to go in and browse Isles with skids lined up everywhere so no one groups up. (I did go pick up a TV there a few months back cause the idea of shipping a 75inch tv that Amazon might just leave at the front door made me cringe) However ya the last time I remember being there... the cables they had in the store where not of the $10 variety. The ones they featured where for sure not. Now its possible somewhere in that store there was a rack of cables and they had some inexpensive options. However I just went on Bestbuy.ca (again Canadian I won't even bother linking it will redirect you to .com if your not) When I search HDMI cables.... BUT select seller Best Buy Canada. The options include a $59.99 (CND) Rockfish 12ft cable... a $39.99 Rockfish 6ft cable and a $49.99 8ft. A 6ft insignia (best buy brand) for $24.99 something called Ultralink for $69.99.... oh and a $119.99 24ft Rockfish option. They do have a listing for ONE Dynex cable 6ft cable... however its at the bottom listed as $6.97 (as I worked for them 97 means clearance the buyers are not restocking) it also says no stock in store online only.... oh and its out of stock. :)

Hey you can love Best buy if you like... but lets not pretend they are going to walk your grandparents out of the store with decent quality inexpensive accessories. There going to walk out with $40-50 HDMI cables... $30-50 phone cases... $30 USBc cables and $70 USB quick chargers. ect ect. Its how they make the profit that allows them to run brick and mortar. It is what it is.

I have no doubt you can find cheap cables on Best Buys website. You can find all sorts of stuff on the Canadian Best Buy site... but 3/4 is sold by "market place" sellers. In other words it isn't sold by Best buy just through their site. I can't speak to how the US site works... I'm sure the US site isn't exactly the same.

Yes I can go on Bestbuy.ca and buy cheap cables ect... and wait a day or two longer then buying a similar cable from Amazon.ca (and I know for a fact cause I have looked in the past... often from the same third party seller. who shocking sells cheaper through amazon... and the delivery difference is generally fulfilled by amazon. So your millage may very I do get some stuff same day so ya Amazon for the win if your close to a warehouse)

And I admit its been at least a year since I been inside a BB store as where I am there still under pretty strict lockdown measures and I am not lining up outside a best buy for 15 min to go in and browse Isles with skids lined up everywhere so no one groups up. (I did go pick up a TV there a few months back cause the idea of shipping a 75inch tv that Amazon might just leave at the front door made me cringe) However ya the last time I remember being there... the cables they had in the store where not of the $10 variety. The ones they featured where for sure not. Now its possible somewhere in that store there was a rack of cables and they had some inexpensive options. However I just went on Bestbuy.ca (again Canadian I won't even bother linking it will redirect you to .com if your not) When I search HDMI cables.... BUT select seller Best Buy Canada. The options include a $59.99 (CND) Rockfish 12ft cable... a $39.99 Rockfish 6ft cable and a $49.99 8ft. A 6ft insignia (best buy brand) for $24.99 something called Ultralink for $69.99.... oh and a $119.99 24ft Rockfish option. They do have a listing for ONE Dynex cable 6ft cable... however its at the bottom listed as $6.97 (as I worked for them 97 means clearance the buyers are not restocking) it also says no stock in store online only.... oh and its out of stock. :)

Hey you can love Best buy if you like... but lets not pretend they are going to walk your grandparents out of the store with decent quality inexpensive accessories. There going to walk out with $40-50 HDMI cables... $30-50 phone cases... $30 USBc cables and $70 USB quick chargers. ect ect. Its how they make the profit that allows them to run brick and mortar. It is what it is.

Sorry it's hard to see available tomorrow on the second pic I posted is hard to read. It was also posted after BB closed so that's why it says available tomorrow.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I love when people insist on sharing their thoughts in spite of having absolutely zero clue what they're talking about.

BBY's last 5 years have been the most profitable period in the 50 year history of the company. And last year was a record.

View attachment 346057

Which means nothing, since the newest CEO is running that company into the ground, long term.

Best Buy is definitely not my favorite, and if I can get something elsewhere I will before them. They have more than a handful of times screwed me, and I made a promise I would never buy from them again unless I had too. I've lived up to that promise over the last 2 years, and most places I go now is Amazon, Target, Walmart or Lowes for Appliances. This new subscription is a great idea, but I am not sure people will be willing to pay that much for it. The non-electronic users out there that aren't into tech aren't going to see the need for it. But for us that love tech, can gain benefit from it by like what others have said here. I see it being a balloon effort to help the company for a short time, but I see that balloon letting out its air eventually and falling to the ground.

They are the only full electronic store we have in my town left other than the mix stores I mentioned. So if it goes, we won't have anything left other than the big mixture box stores. And the one we have is tiny in comparison to other cities.

Their most famous are their Rotisserie Chicken, Hotdog/Soda combo, and their Gas. I know there are lots of other door crashers and other such items that they put up from time to time that is designed to get people in the building for the "While I'm here" purchases.

That hotdog combo has gotten me through some tough times - like when I purposely don't eat before going to Costco so I can get the hotdog combo while I'm there. Pandemic put a stop to that for the moment though.

I have to admit I have bought more things this year from Best Buy then ever. However, this is mostly because I'm mad a New Egg, and I've started to not trust Amazon. I do hope they stay alive though.

You MUST know what you're talking about...I mean, you were able to use the internet to find a picture to make your talking point!

Watch out people! This guy knows how to share a google image!
They are a publicly traded company so you can go see their financial statements and see for yourself. BB is actually doing quite well.

That's all that guy does.
And all you do is come on here and offer nothing to the conversation. A waste space. I do enjoy living in your head rent free though, its a little tight quartered though.

Definitely seems that way. He doesn't add anything to this site constructive.
Sure I do, just nothing you're interested in. Where would you be without me? Surely you'd have to find someone else to complain about. I don't mind being your huckleberry.

Back