best app for remote control?

cj3waker

2[H]4U
I recently built an htpc that I want to also use as a small server, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some apps that would allow me full remote control of the console from my other pcs on the network. Im running windows 7 home prem x64 on the htpc, and 7 pro x64 on my desktop. Ive seen you can crack home premium to allow the use of microsofts remote connect tool but was hoping there is some other freeware that is better

thanks!

mstsc.exe /admin

?

If that's not possible for some reason, VNC works just fine. There's a number of servers/clients, pick whichever you like.

ive been testing litemanager free version, works out ok so far..

litemanager free is working out great!!!!!!!! Im typing this on my htpc via my desktop right now.
there is only one thing I have having an issue with. My htpc is hooked to my tv and its very hard to see icons and text from a distance, so i changed the text and stuff in windows from 100% to 200%. but when I use LM on my desktop it will only show a small portion of the screen because it is so magnified on the htpc, I had to set it back to 100% and i tried the different view mode options in the general tab. and as i type this i just thought of something

vnc isnt freeware though? and to fix my above issue, i had realized that i was just to zoomed in on my browser, resetting the zoom and then changing the DPI back to 200% allows me to use on my htpc and my desktop

What do you mean VNC isn't free. It most certainly is. Ever heard of TightVNC? It's based on WinVNC. I actually use this program on all my machines around the house and on select family members PCs. There is even a version of the client that I put on my PSP. This allows me full control no matter where I am. I'm pretty sure there is a version for Win Phones too. Can't go wrong.
http://www.tightvnc.com/

I might have to try this litemanager free program also. :D

BTW you know you are a giant nerd when you use your PSP in bars to change their TV channels and setup recordings that you forgot about. Speaking of that, new Futurama on Sunday.

Back