Best Anti-Virus on the market?

There's like three or four different threads on the main page asking the same question. On top of that, there's no "best" There are good ones and bad ones. Read some of those threads, and pick one of the good ones. You also don't have to pay for good anti-virus software, if you don't want to. Some good ones are free.

Yes there is. Nod32 is the best.
Hands down detects just about ANYTHING, none intrusive, and way lighter than symantec/mc.

Yes there is. Nod32 is the best.
That isn't a hands down answer. Plenty of "tests" have given the crown to other products. Like I said, there are good ones, and bad ones. By the way, Symantec Corp is light on resources as well. You may be thinking of the Norton line in previous years as being a resource hog...which it is.

#1 BitDefender <--- the best of the best will find shit that other programs left behind
#2 Kaspersky 2009
#3 NOD32
#4 AVG Pro

I've had NOD32 miss some detections on a few machines i manage on a small business network.

I bought a license for Avira Antivir and it's been great. It has a smaller footprint than NOD32. It's not as polished (in terms of being a "pretty" app), but its detection engine is better rated than the latest version of NOD and it's faster at file scanning.

My fav is Nod 32. Small footprint, catches most everything, removes one helluva lot more that Norton Corporate. How do I know this? We use Norton Corporate at work and it misses tons of crap.

I've tried AVG Free, Kapersky, Bit Defender, Norton Consumer, Norton Corporate, PC- cillin, McAfee, Avast, and Avira.

In my personal work experience (spent 80% of time or better removing Viruses, adware,trojans,browser hijackers etc) None of those I listed works at removing and preventing stuff as well as Nod 32.

AVG and Avast, too many false positives.Though I have a friend that swears by AVG :rolleyes:
Norton Consumer and 360 are absolute crap, overbloated junk anymore. Norton Corporate has a small footprint but just does not catch much and what it does catch can't remove. Bit Defender and McAfee just both suck major ass slow, bloated don't catch shit. PC-cillin is ok, better than nothing but not very good. And Avira ... just not impressed with it.

Antivir, Avast! --- Free
NOD32, Kaspersky --- Paid

Even with best antivirus, computer should still be full scanned on regular basis.

Personally I'd go with Avast or Avira over Kaspersky or NOD32. Used all 4, there's NO reason to pay for an AV anymore. (or firewall, or antispyware, or HIPS, or sandboxing, etc etc)

The average user can survive with a free antivirus program.

I use Avast. It occasionally picks up false positives, but for the most part its great.

The Best Antivirus in my opinion is by FAR is Symantec Corporate Edition, if you can afford it =p

I get it free from the Navy...

The Best Antivirus in my opinion is by FAR is Symantec Corporate Edition, if you can afford it =p

I get it free from the Navy...

Ack...the many frustrated hours spent manually fixing corrupted push installs/upgrades, and when replacing it with other AV products (such as NOD32 Enterprise Edition)...seeing NOD32 find stuff that Symantec CE never found within the first hour of uninstalling SymCE and installing NOD32, as well as hearing clients say "Wow..my computer is sooo much faster"...

....some thoughts from a Symantec reseller that sold it from version 5 on up..

I don't know what version of CE you were using, but I never get any performance hit, and could never tell its running even on my older P4 with a gig of ram.

On another note, I have also used NOD32 and found it to be nice, it definitely has a nice consumer interface.

I like NOD32. I use the Smart Security Version. It picked up a lot more things McAfee couldn't pickup. Plus. it's lighter on system resources so it doesn't feel like a hog in the background.

I use Kaspersky, but only because I've heard its the best through people and reviews. Although, I have never gotten a virus/spyware/or anything else in the past 2 years I've used it.

I don't know what version of CE you were using, but I never get any performance hit, and could never tell its running even on my older P4 with a gig of ram.

On another note, I have also used NOD32 and found it to be nice, it definitely has a nice consumer interface.

I've deployed countless numbers of it since version 5....only a couple of clients left that still run on it (newer versions obviously..they're not still on version 5). The big complaints of slowdowns from end users (and tons of noticing it myself) occured when version 10 came out.

I started the search for a better product around version 9...I just had too many clients getting infected by ad/spyware. Still have a few running on it though, mostly non-profits which get the subscription for pocket change via TechSoup.

Anyways..not really an option for the home user, unless they have a bunch of home PCs to protect.

An important thing that no one has mentioned about NOD is that it silently updates hourly.

avg free or avast not the best but there free and have NEVER gotten a virus from either

I'm stunned in this day and age when so-called computer "experts" or even hardcore enthusiasts dare mention Norton/Symantec products in a positive light. It's just beyond my ability to comprehend... ;)

What you should do with Norton
wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDzarJOJNQ&feature=related

An important thing that no one has mentioned about NOD is that it silently updates hourly.

Most of the better ones have been doing that for quite a while. Eset commonly releases several updates per day...as it relies on heuristics a bit more. I don't believe I've seen them release more than 8x defintions in a 24 hour period. By default the client checks hourly. Other brands, such as Kaspersky, rely more on definitions..hence they tend to release many updates per day...Kaspersky commonly is many updates per day..often hourly.

Avira

Nod32 is in 2nd now as they're slipping a little. but you look at the av-comparatives Avira is at the top, always.

they have a free version which is just antivirus, and then a suite deal that's the premium - has the extra goodies like website scans and email, etc.

I run the premium and there is no performance hit whatsoever.

I use NOD32 myself at home. We have Trend at work which I hate. 'Lots of false positives. We used to use McAfee before that - wasn't impressed.

The IT guy in charge of evaluating new antivirus software for our next purchase narrowed it down to Kapersky, NOD32 and....... Sunbelt Vipre. Yep, new kid in town from a well respected company. I think we may actually end up with Vipre because of a great management interface from the Corporate IT perspective. Their anti-spyware product is also highly regarded.

Oooo... now that's promising. /me heads over to try out the software...

Been using Sunbelt products for well over 10 years now, always satisfied with their performance and cost. AutoPilot, something they made in the past, was a kickass autotuning app for Windows and it worked great, so let's hope this "new kid on the block" AV suite can perform. Now let's fire up a VM and see what this new kid can do...

Back