Best Android Tablet?

Sky15

2[H]4U
I liked the Xoom a lot, but isn't Xoom 2 coming out soon? Also I've heard the Asus tablet is really good too?

"Best" is a highly subjective thing based on personal preference when it comes to most anything, especially tablet devices. Where Android-powered tablets are concerned (meaning actual Android-powered devices that are specifically designed for that purpose; i.e. not the Nook Color because its intended purpose is an eBook reader but it can do so much more), the ones that matter at this point are:

- the Motorola Xoom 10.1"
- the Asus Transformer 10.1"
- the Acer Iconia 10.1"
- the Viewsonic G-Tablet 10.1"
- the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (10.1" coming soon)
- the Archos 70 or 101 (7" and 10" respectively)

Those are the "big ones" that get mentioned more often than not, so what you'd do is look for reviews, tech specs, personal opinions, forum threads (like this one and many others), then get a hands on with some of the devices in your area if possible and make an educated decision and a purchase, getting the one that "best" fits your needs and requirements.

Personally for me I still want a Nook Color since I find it to the "best" size and form-factor based on my own needs and requirements above and beyond those of the competing products in the 7" class, even though the Nook Color was never technically designed to be a general purpose Android tablet. It can, of course, become such a device with a custom ROM on it and rooting, which makes it so appealing.

But, you'll get other people expressing opinions themselves. I find the Asus Transformer to be the most popular one right now for a) the price and b) the addition of the dock which adds functionality and massive battery life too.

of the big ones, the Transformer has the best Bang for the Buck IMHO, would love to get it

for the money, the nook color cannot be beat ($249). My son bought one yesterday, i rooted it today, which is really easy, no seriously, it's easy with Cyanogen. I am really surprised at how well it runs.

Thanks guys, can the non e-readers be just good for books? I'm finishing up university and I would like a tablet that I might be able to buy some texts on.

Well, yeah, there are eBook readers (meaning the apps) for Android, Aldiko is probably the most popular one but there are others. There's also the Nook app from Barnes & Noble that can be used on other devices, just as there's the Kindle app from Amazon as well, but obviously those are designed to work primarily with purchased content, however, they do allow you to open eBooks as long as they're in the format those apps deal with (ePub or whatever).

The Nook Color truly is a one-of-a-kind device for many reasons, but the ability to root it and use custom ROMs - even by running them off the microSD card itself and not actually rewriting/reflashing the actual Flash internal storage - is what makes so many things possible. You can have the stock Nook Color running the stock OS and then have whatever custom ROM you want on the microSD card and never have problems. It's a pretty wicked damned piece of hardware, it really is.

And yes, that price point of ~$250 and that gorgeous IPS LCD panel in it... there's nothing in that range that compares, really.

What do you need?

Netbook like = Asus Transformer
Functional = Acer tablet
Media = Archos Gen8 series (Gen9 honeycomb coming soon)

Thanks guys, can the non e-readers be just good for books? I'm finishing up university and I would like a tablet that I might be able to buy some texts on.

Do you mean "just as good"? They're not as good outdoors, but they're still readable as long as you're in the shade with the brightness maxed (Will kill your battery tho). Indoors, it's atleast got a chance against a few flourescent lights so you can turn the brightness down.

I've never had a tablet, and after playing with my boss's iPad for a while, I really want one. And after a little reading, I've pretty much settled on getting a Nook Color and rooting it once the funds become available later this summer, unless something better comes up, which I highly doubt will happen.

I use all of the mentioned eBook readers on my Transformer. They work really well, I almost never read outside nor do I think I will have a need to. The readers work perfectly fine, had no problem transfering books over or reading them.

When I think of why one would want an Android Tablet as opposed to an iPad 2, the Acer come up with the strongest justification. It has the "mostest" connectivity options. The Asus is interesting, but I don't see getting a laptop tablet...if you want a laptop, get a laptop. Without the dock it becomes # 2, and it's price is a plus, assuming you can find it at the retail price. The samsung is the most apple like, but geez...it has none of the stuff that one expects from Android...but it does get points back for being the lightest. The Xoom goes near the bottom, IMO.

When I think of why one would want an Android Tablet as opposed to an iPad 2, the Acer come up with the strongest justification. It has the "mostest" connectivity options. The Asus is interesting, but I don't see getting a laptop tablet...if you want a laptop, get a laptop. Without the dock it becomes # 2, and it's price is a plus, assuming you can find it at the retail price. The samsung is the most apple like, but geez...it has none of the stuff that one expects from Android...but it does get points back for being the lightest. The Xoom goes near the bottom, IMO.

I am still debating on the Acer. I have read in a few places of it being fairly slow.

I know we talked about it a little in PM's...Just not sure yet, I guess

Last edited:
I am still debating on the Acer. I have read in a few places of it being fairly slow.

I know we talked about it a little in PM's...Just not sure yet, I guess

Understood. Best for you to make the best decision for you.

I don't find the Acer slow, though. You might want to wonder over here to ask that question:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/

I can't way for HC 3.1 to be available on it though...supposed to be end of june...

toshiba thrive is coming out mid next month. comes with 3.1, its more money than the transformer. $430 for the 8gb. but has full size usb, hdmi, and a sd card reader(not micro). should be able to plug in the sd card from my camera and go through raws. has a removable battery as well. thrive is thicker than the transformer but weighs less, I don't like the front facing camera placement on it. but I think I'll get this over the transformer, because of the usb and full size sd reader. its suppose to have ips screen as well. hopefully toshiba has better QC than asus. I didn't want to get the asus and end up going through 3 devices trying to get a good one.

Not quite the point but but but...

heh, I get your point. usb means more to me than another 8gb of storage, especially when I can plug in a 16gb sd card, or even a thumb drive. 32gb thumb+32gb sd card+8gb internal, 72gb isn't bad, lol.

heh, I get your point. usb means more to me than another 8gb of storage, especially when I can plug in a 16gb sd card, or even a thumb drive. 32gb thumb+32gb sd card+8gb internal, 72gb isn't bad, lol.

Ditto

I don't mind the 8GB in my Nook color at all. Plenty of space.

Personally...

At $200ish - Nook color, Galaxy Tab 3G on clearance if you can find one
At $400ish - I like the upcoming Toshiba Thrive (full size USB/HDMI/SDHC - awesome!) and the Asus Transformer...but I don't like 10" tablets.

If you're a video-on-the-go guy (not me...I'll take a book any day) the Archos units can be worth looking at (better at video codecs/playback).

Not quite the point but but but...

Don't understand that reply.... The Thrive has either the 8 gb or 16 gb or even the 32 gb version plus you can opt for some storage ontop of that. Not to mention it has some full size ports as well.

just a fyi about the thrive, its not known yet if it has a plastic or glass screen, and theres nothing official about it having a ips display. hopefully we will get more info about it soon. toshiba has a full specs page about it, but fail to mention either of the two above things.

Answering the OP's questions (I'm assuming he'd consider only current models in the market):

EEE Pad Transformer or Galaxy Tab 10.1, and even the latter depends on whether you don't mind the lack of ports on it.

the rest are either expensive crappy devices or cheap china whitebox models that you get what you pay for (really crappy)

Xoom -> grossly overpriced + uncompetitive
Iconia Tab -> poor value against the EEE Pad unless you think the Iconia's onboard USB ports is more valuable than the Transformer's IPS... and the Transformer has those USB ports on the dock anyway.
HTC Flyer / Evo View 4G -> overpriced, no Honeycomb, weak hardware vs everything else. 500USD is bad enough in the US, the damn thing costs 60% more where I stay.

Ia the Asus the only tablet with a dock?
Samsung has a keyboard dock of sorts for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but it doesn't have anything else on it other than a keyboard IIRC. http://www.talkandroid.com/41607-galaxy-tab-10-1-keyboard-dock-gets-a-quick-look-over/

I bought the Xoom 3g when it first came out and at first i was kinda upset because it had alot of quirks but that all has been solved. The battery life + flash + usb devices make the Xoom still an awesome choice. I'm able to hook up my 2.5" 1TB drive to it and stream video, music and pictures. Besides that, 4g should be out soon, though ill keep my cheap 3g plan...The only think that i still desire is something more pocketable but if you already have a smart phone you're set.

http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/Ten/201104/01-84.html
pros:
ips screen identical to the ipad.
10 point piezoelectric touchscreen (more precise and can use anything besides your fingers)
mali 400 gpu
cortex a9 800mhz single core

cons:
firmware still a little buggy
no camera
no 3g but can use usb 3g dongle
apparently bad speakers

just google smartq t10 or smartq ten for more info.

I got the Eee Pad because for the price of it, you get a lot more than from other manufacturers. If you ask me, there's only 2 real competitors to it, those being the Xoom and the Galaxy Tab and they are way more expensive. And in the meantime, the Asus Transformer is actually available en masse (where I live, you can smoke Motorola's announcements - vaporware...). Stores get new shipments every they and they're still sold out after a few hours, but if you order at the right time of the day, you can have one whithin 12 hours. In contrary to Motorola with the overpriced Xoom, I think Asus hit the consumer nerve pretty well. The market needs to be flooded with relatively cheap, high-quality devices - otherwise there won't be an Android tablet market at all.

I have also played around with the Acer Iconia, but it just isn't in the same league. It really felt too cheap. And I mean cheap in the sense of some parts of it not being attached to the device properly cheap. Also, I find the display technology in use very important. Asus clearly wins here with the IPS. Some people say the Transformer is of cheap build quality too, but I don't think that is true. I find it to be a very well built device. Sure, the iPad still wins here, but in general, it is still very good. I expect the Galaxy Tab to be at least of equal quality to iPad (from the looks of it, that shouldn't be a problem since they are designed very similar). The choice of what to get in the end is up to you.

I have also played around with the Acer Iconia, but it just isn't in the same league. It really felt too cheap. And I mean cheap in the sense of some parts of it not being attached to the device properly cheap. Also, I find the display technology in use very important. Asus clearly wins here with the IPS. Some people say the Transformer is of cheap build quality too, but I don't think that is true. I find it to be a very well built device.

So you test one Iconia with problems and you call it cheap...and when others test an EEE pad and find it falling apart and call it cheap, you say they are wrong? Some reviewer you all dude....

So you test one Iconia with problems and you call it cheap...and when others test an EEE pad and find it falling apart and call it cheap, you say they are wrong? Some reviewer you all dude....
Nope. That's why I said that I think so. If you read my post carefully, you'll notice numerous expressions indicating that I was merely voicing my opinions about both Transfomer and Iconia. Maybe I did indeed get a particularly bad unit. Who knows? But as far as Acer is concerned, if a major retailer makes devices available for consumers to test them at their stores, they'd better take the good ones for that purpose. Anyhow, you seem a little cranky. Unhappy or something? ;)

Nope. That's why I said that I think so. If you read my post carefully, you'll notice numerous expressions indicating that I was merely voicing my opinions about both Transfomer and Iconia. Maybe I did indeed get a particularly bad unit. Who knows? But as far as Acer is concerned, if a major retailer makes devices available for consumers to test them at their stores, they'd better take the good ones for that purpose. Anyhow, you seem a little cranky. Unhappy or something? ;)

Dude...plenty of people have reported problems with the Asus model....just read the thread here....also, some places are still selling it above the $399 mark for the 16G version. Lots of benefit lost there. Finally, the IPS screen is technically better, but it's certainly not by a significant amount. Slightly greater viewing angle.

And no, I'm not unhappy in the least...I just don't see any need to let poopy opinions go unchallenged. The OP can make his own decisions about what tablet is best...

Dude...plenty of people have reported problems with the Asus model....just read the thread here....also, some places are still selling it above the $399 mark for the 16G version. Lots of benefit lost there. Finally, the IPS screen is technically better, but it's certainly not by a significant amount. Slightly greater viewing angle.

And no, I'm not unhappy in the least...I just don't see any need to let poopy opinions go unchallenged. The OP can make his own decisions about what tablet is best...

never buy anything based off of an opinion. it should be your understanding that one WILL fit your needs better then the other.

reason why i have the transformer, i require more then 9 hours of charge as i sometimes take it to the field, where i wont have a plug for a few days. the dock was the biggest decision in this.

i would like to get a nook color though, something about being tiny in comparison just seems awesome for my office.

theres a clear difference between the xoom's screen and a ipad or transformer IPS screen, even watching a video of the devices side by side you can see the difference. better viewing angle is just one of the benefits. darker blacks, color reproduction, better contrast.

the asus does have some build quality issues. it seems like theres so many people on xda that are complaining, either it makes creak sounds when you touch it, or theres dust under the screen, dead pixels, screen doesn't register touches all the time, light bleed. but if you check pretty much everywhere, amazon, newegg, buy.com. its got 4 out of 5 stars. I guess if you get a good one your set, if you don't then you gotta return and hope the next one is a good one. some people are on their 3rd and 4th devices. if you go for the transformer, buy it from somewhere that pays return shipping, like amazon.

theres a clear difference between the xoom's screen and a ipad or transformer IPS screen, even watching a video of the devices side by side you can see the difference. better viewing angle is just one of the benefits. darker blacks, color reproduction, better contrast.

Not sure why you mentioned xoom, but while I can agree on contrast and sort of on saturation in regards to the Iconia, I don't agree about color reproduction. What you refer to as color reproduction is likely saturation, which really has nothing to do with color reproduction. I'd say that some IPS screens offer an overly saturated image, forcing colors to be unnatural for movies. I think people may like that, but it's not accurate. Also, the comment about darker blacks might be true, but I don't think this has a practical importance. It's a 10-inch (or less) screen. If you want to be a video snob about image quality in dark scenes in movies, go right ahead. I have not seen a situation where it matters one bit when reading web stuff or doing any kind of work. The biggest shortcoming on the screen of the Iconia is saturation but that is because people are just used to seeing that on IPS displays. Effectively, it makes not so much difference.

Asus Transformer: Bang/buck it is the best and since parts are very similar on most top tablets, it would be my choice. I read somewhere that it is also the best selling Android tablet.

Not sure why you mentioned xoom, but while I can agree on contrast and sort of on saturation in regards to the Iconia, I don't agree about color reproduction. What you refer to as color reproduction is likely saturation, which really has nothing to do with color reproduction. I'd say that some IPS screens offer an overly saturated image, forcing colors to be unnatural for movies. I think people may like that, but it's not accurate. Also, the comment about darker blacks might be true, but I don't think this has a practical importance. It's a 10-inch (or less) screen. If you want to be a video snob about image quality in dark scenes in movies, go right ahead. I have not seen a situation where it matters one bit when reading web stuff or doing any kind of work. The biggest shortcoming on the screen of the Iconia is saturation but that is because people are just used to seeing that on IPS displays. Effectively, it makes not so much difference.

I meant to say iconia. no matter what it is, text, pictures, video, it'll all look noticeably better on a IPS screen. it doesn't have to be dark scenes in movies, anywhere there is black. text, pictures, youtube. it is a 10" screen, and its 2 feet from your face. tablets right now are meant to be for media consumption. although some photographers use tablets to show off their shots, the case of that kind of work, display quality would be important.

After a long debate, I picked up an Acer Iconia A500 yesterday and I couldn't be happier. I was debating between the Acer, the Moto, the ASUS, and the upcoming Toshiba. The tablet for me was going to be a laptop replacement for just carrying in my bag when I am around town, so battery life and durability were more important to me then a lot of other features. The ASUS with the keyboard dock looked like it would be the winner for a while, however after hearing many stories of shoddy build quality and the screen issues it was out for me. The Toshiba also looked promising, but all it offered over the Acer was a full sized HDMI port, and since I already have mini to full HDMI cables for other things I didn't really care. That put me between the Xoom and the A500. I have multiple friends who have 3G Xooms and I can say it is a great tablet, however I don't need 32GB, and I would rather have the USB in port of the A500. After comparing side to side, they feel about the same comfort to hold (moto is thicker, but acer is heavier). The moto does have deeper blacks, however that isn't to say that the Acer doesn't have a good looking display, because I can assure you that it does.

For $450 I can't find a better tablet on the market. The only complaint I have so far is with the lack of tablet apps in the market, and the fact that OOTB it didn't have exchange support (Fixed in 3.1), but now that I have everything setup and running, I am glad I bought it.

however after hearing many stories of shoddy build quality and the screen issues it was out for me..

You wouldn't actually check screen/quality out in person for yourself??

From what I read the Asus has a better screen than the Acer and I haven't heard the Acer had better build quality than the Asus either.

You wouldn't actually check screen/quality out in person for yourself??

From what I read the Asus has a better screen than the Acer and I haven't heard the Acer had better build quality than the Asus either.

The screen issues I was referring to were the dead pixels and dust issues that many on the xda and other forums have complained about. As for the build quality I would say it is abut on par with the xoom, no creaks nothing to complain about really.

I meant to say iconia. no matter what it is, text, pictures, video, it'll all look noticeably better on a IPS screen. it doesn't have to be dark scenes in movies, anywhere there is black. text, pictures, youtube. it is a 10" screen, and its 2 feet from your face. tablets right now are meant to be for media consumption. although some photographers use tablets to show off their shots, the case of that kind of work, display quality would be important.

It's just not true. I have an iPad 2 and an Iconia sitting side by side. The colors are different but you can't say one is much better than another, though text is sharper on the Iconia.

A lot of you guys are just talk theory and don't speak real-world.

iPad (1 or 2) = 1024x768

Transformer or Xoom or Iconia = 1280x800

Obviously text is going to be "sharper" on the Android tablets, that's a given - no amount of pixel rendering is going to alter that fact in favor of the iPad.

I've seen all four of them side by side at a Best Buy (ok, maybe not the best place to demo but, even so) and they all look just fine to me. I wouldn't buy a tablet just 'cause the screen "looks better" on one - the actual screens are nowhere near the biggest factor or even part of the equation in my decision for a tablet.

Unless we're talking about the Nook Color, that is, 'cause that IPS screen in that device just... well, damn, it's phenomenal, and even other 7" devices with IPS screens just look like shit by comparison, in my opinion. :D

I wouldn't buy a tablet just 'cause the screen "looks better" on one - the actual screens are nowhere near the biggest factor or even part of the equation in my decision for a tablet.

Considering that a tablet I just about all screen, the screen quality is of utmost importance to me. Also a tablet gets used in multiple orientations and from a variety of viewing angles.

A top quality screen is a must have for any tablet IMO.

Back