Best Android Tablet?

Alright so I already know people aren't going to like my post, but I'm going to post anyway. I had been playing with many of the tablets for a while in anticipation of purchasing one for myself. I looked at the iPad2, Xoom, Transformer, etc. My mother then called me up saying she had just purchased a Xoom for herself, so I decided to get one as well, since I'd end up being tech support one way or another.

Using the Xoom straight out of the box was definitely nice, but not as nice as the iPad. I feel it was more the OS's fault, but it just seemed rough around the edges compared to iOS. Now the Xoom has a better resolution, more power, etc., but as far as the user experience goes I was unimpressed. Rooting the Xoom helped, but the OS just doesn't feel as polished.

I played with my friend's Transformer to see if I just needed a different perspective, but again I was left unimpressed. The hardware was great, but Android just wasn't cutting it for me. It felt like Android was concerned about features, features, more features, but forgot that people not computer-savvy still needed to be able to use it.

But all of this is just my opinion and takeaway on the matter. I still use and gain enjoyment from my Xoom. If somebody were to ever port iOS to the Xoom though, I'd be the first onboard.

Actually I think that is going to be unpopular because it is the truth.

After spending about two weeks with my A500, and finally getting the official 3.1 firmware on it I can agree that android can feel rough around the edges, and is not built for the computer shy. It is like linux, pretty good out of the box, but the fact that it is open source and through modification you can do whatever you want to it is the appeal. When I looked at the Xoom when it came with the stock 3.0 firmware it was an immediate pass. The reason wasn't because of hardware or anything like that, it was because the transition around the home screen, and the app drawer seemed jerky. Everything else was great, but that wasn't something I was going to drop $600+30 a month on. Then came the 3.0.1 update which fixed a lot of that, but broke things like exchange support, then came 3.1 which is actually really really good and what 3.0 should have been. With my Acer I kept having it turn on randomly when in sleep, and 3.1 fixed that and exchange, so I am pumped I don't have to root, or use 3rd party apps to fix my problems, however I was perfectly capable of putting every work around to solve all my 3.0.1 problems in place.

The iPad is a media consumption device, plain and simple. You surf the net, you play games, you listen to and watch your iTunes media. iOS 5 will add a much better notification system, but you still don't get widgets, you still don't get access to things like network sniffers or terminal emulators, you still don't even get SSH clients. Honeycomb on the other hand I can truly see as a netbook replacement (and it has already started to replace my laptop).

The one complaint I can find with android is that people don't like that there isn't some kind of media player that just syncs all their music / movies for them like iTunes. The reality is that there isn't one because android made it a simple drag and drop to sync your media, no need to have a library based program to manage everything because you just drag your entire media folder to your SD card, and you are good. Now this can be annoying because as you add single songs it makes it hard to version manage, and there isn't an official media store to buy your tracks from (unless you use one of the available players that does sync, all of which kinda suck).

But at the end of the day the two are for different audiences. iOS is for people looking for a media consumption device, Android is for people looking for a notebook replacement. Personally I have an iPhone 4 and a Android tablet. I got the iPhone 2G back in 07 because I was sick of carrying around an iPod for my music and my Blackberry for a phone. I have since upgraded each generation because the iPhone does exactly what I want it to, it has all my music on it, it has my exchange email, it has my few apps and games that I use on it, and that is all I use it for, just a simple communication and media device. For a tablet I wanted a 10" device that I could carry that lasts all day so I could leave my laptop at home. iOS just doesn't cut it for me, doesn't do enough, and I much prefer Chrome mobile to Safari mobile.

you still don't get access to things like network sniffers or terminal emulators, you still don't even get SSH clients.

I just did a quick Google. This isn't the only one...
iSSH: iPhone and iPad SSH client
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=9585
iSSH is a comprehensive VT100, VT102, VT220, ANSI, xterm, and xterm-color terminal emulator over SSH and telnet, integrated with a tunneled X server and VNC client.

As far network sniffer, there are port scanners and diagnostics:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inet-pro-network-scanner/id305242949?mt=8

If you mean a full blown packet sniffer like Wireshark, you are right, but 99.99% of people would never need one. I use Wireshark at work, but I write code for networking equipment. Even being familiar with Wireshark, I have no use for it outside of work. What do you need it for, hoping to catch some passwords in clear text?

Last edited:
I love how the iPad (whatever version floats your boat), but the thing that really turns me away from it is iTunes, everything has to be done through iTunes, I really can't stand sitting waiting for "conversion" while I could use a Windows or Android OS tablet and drag/drop.

I agree with you 100% about iTunes. This is one dreadful program on Windows. I hate having it installed. Luckily, I have several computers and I only install iTunes on one of them, so when I need to sync my iPad (which is rare), I use that one. The good news is that once iOS 5 hits the streets syncing to iTunes on a Windows machine will be history.

I totally love the screen on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 incher.

The screen is the main (if not only) way to interact with the tablet and it is a nice screen. I think its superior to the competition.

I have tried getting content on the Tab and it is not intuitive as I'd like it. I want it to work out of the box. I'd like to drag and drop, but it does not do that. I'd like to "side load" via USB but again, not possible (with the Tab).

I don't know why the drag and drop doesn't work with the Tab and OSX, but it just doesn't. Based on that, my opinion is the Tab is fast, has a great screen, but the user may have issues if using OSX.

Edit: Google maps on the Tab is freaking amazing.

For me I will try the Toshiba Thrive when it comes out. If its like the other Android tabs with a number of OS 3.1 issues, than I will hang it up until next year and hope 4.0 comes out. I like a full size USB and HDMI ports that the Thrive will have and that includes the full size SD slot, but if I have to play games to get this thing to work smoothly, than no matter how nice the screen is, it goes back.

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/t...cussions/287-video-buy-com-thrive-review.html

Last edited:
I have tried getting content on the Tab and it is not intuitive as I'd like it. I want it to work out of the box. I'd like to drag and drop, but it does not do that. I'd like to "side load" via USB but again, not possible (with the Tab).

I don't know why the drag and drop doesn't work with the Tab and OSX, but it just doesn't. Based on that, my opinion is the Tab is fast, has a great screen, but the user may have issues if using OSX.

It is possible. You just need to install usb drivers from samsung.com and make sure USB debugging is off in application settings. Whenever you plug it into your computer a picture of a usb connector should pop up and you are good to go to drag and drop as you please.

Back