Best AM2 Motherboard

bassboy_pete

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I am going to do a whole big upgrade in here a bit, and i was wondering if I can get some input as to what the best, most featured AM2 motherboard there is out there.

I do lots of gaming, but not interested in SLI or crossfire. Way too expensive.

So I am looking for a motherboard with tons of integrated features, using PCI-E for graphics. Brand doesn't matter too much, as long as they make good quality stuff. I am looking to pair it with the Athlon 64 X2 5200+. As well as 2Gb of DDR2 Ram

So lets hear those suggestions!

Thanks

Avoid the ASUS M2N-E mobo. The ASUS M2N32 SLI is a good AM2 mobo. DFI makes a couple good models as well.

Alright,

So I am changing it up a bit. I guess I am going to go with an SLI board. I just cannot find a fully featured, performance motherboard that doesn't support SLI.

I did some minor research, and came up with 4 motherboards. Let me know what you think:

Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H
GIGABYTE GA-M59SLI-S5
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
MSI K9N SLI Platinum

I am kinda liking the Asus board, but heard that it has problems with OCZ Ram

I got the M2N32-SLI MB and can tell you that it is indeed a very good quality board. The problems it had with OCZ stemmed from problems that MOST AM2 boards had when they first came out. For some reason some DDR2 sticks didn't like AM2 boards. I believe that OCZ has revised their ram so all should be good. One reason that OCZ came up so often is because they make good quality ram and at the time they also happened to be relatively cheap compared to Corsair. I got some Corsair XMS2 ram to be safe and haven't had any problems.

The Foxconn board is nice, but it's just a reference board design. Nothing special. It has a fan over the NB so it can have that whiny fan sound since it's small. Other than that it's a good board. The M2N32-SLI has passive cooling as does the Gigabyte so they're silent. The Asus board also has built-in wireless which can be convenient.

Can't go wrong with any of the boards you listed, but I'd get the Asus, although I'm probably bias since I have one. :D

Good luck.

Best? Probably the DFI LP. Best Non SLI that is good price? Abit Nview as listed above.

The thing with OCZ RAM is that it requires 1.9v to work properly. The JEDEC standard for DDR2 is 1.8v. Not every board will break the JEDEC standards by powering DDR2 with >1.8v out of the box, even though that's what OCZ's SPD chips ask for. IMO, this is a problem with OCZ playing fast and loose with industry standards rather than a problem with specific motherboards.

Most boards that won't even POST with OCZ memory can be persuaded to work by booting up with standards-compliant RAM, setting the DIMM voltage to 1.9v manually, then installing OCZ DIMMs.

Of course, if you don't have any standards-compliant DDR2 DIMMs on hand, you're SOL....

Personally, I just went with Mushkin DDR2-800 for my ABIT nView. The potential hassle of dealing with OCZ high voltage DIMMs wasn't worth the price difference.

Personally, I am going to go with the Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5, has everything youi could want and then some.

Im planning on either Abit NF-M2, Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32x (open box), DFI NF ultra II-M2 (or sli version for $5 more), or asus m2n32-sli dlx open box).

What do you guys think or know of these choices? Im leaning towards Asus, its approx $140 shipped but is supposed to be a killer overclocker, not sure how the rest of these compare. Fatal1ty is supposed to be good too, $123 shipped. if these are any better Id rather get one of these for a little more than the DFI or NF-M2 for $95.

what are your thoughts?

INFRNL

I'm really happy with my Asus Crosshair.

I would love to get one but I dont need to spend that much on my particular system as it will basically be for folding and secondary to my main system; while I play with my troubled C2D (main) system. I can get an open box Crosshair for $170 not bad but more than I really want to spend. I would like to stay around the $100 or less range, however if its worth it I dont mind spending a little more. I need to find reviews on the DFI board NF Ultra II-M2, otherwise I think I may try the Abit NF-M2; these seem to be the best for the $100 mark. ASUS only has the m2n32-sli dlx and crosshair which are good overclockers but more expensive. its a battle no matter where you go, lol

You're paying for pretty lights. Crosshair is ok. I've played with it.

DFI Lanparty is the best hands down.

He games so integrated is a no no.

Seriously Bass, I would put that NView uop against most full sized MATX. This lil board, which I chose over many, has features and settings that most full sized boards don't. Asus suks until you start creeping inro the 200 area and they aren't worth it. I've played with about a half dozen AM2 boards and this lil Abit kicks butt.

Abit The RECLAIM.

You're paying for pretty lights. Crosshair is ok. I've played with it.

DFI Lanparty is the best hands down.

I really don't care about the pretty lights. What I do like is the 8 phase capless power, onboard switches, lcd poster, Q connector, the mulitple on board fan connectors with matching temp sensors, and the massive copper cooling. And I also have 2 full size pci slots even with SLI.

Is that the one directly under the Crosshair? Don't waste your time or $. Outside of that board with pretty lights Asus has nothing on AM2. Want Intel? then go Asus. Then again you'll probably get some serious Vdroop! lol

sorry to submit multiple posts, have no idea what im doing and I cant delete and re-edit for some reason
As for me; I have narrowed my list down to either the Abit NF-M2 or the DFI NF ultra II-M2. Im leaning towards the Abit because of the integrated video and this system is mainly for folding and a backup system. mainly backup while I play with my C2D. I currently have 4 systems Im building; once I get everything set I will decide on what I want to keep, sell and decide on what to use where. I will end up with 6 systems total. One system will go to my wife, one will be for my son, 2 or 3 for myself and will turn around and sell the rest.

anyways more than you probably need to know. I think I may just go with the Abit, the onboard video will be plenty for my wife, son, or folding and I can always add a video card later if need be.

Thanks for everyones help and sorry to intrude on this thread. I think these 2 boards Inarrowed down to is the best way to go if a persons trying to save money. offer great performance, great overclockers and plenty enough for most systems. Im all about the best bang for the buck which I think is the main purpose of this thread.

INFRNL

OP hasn't even posted in a while. So don't know what's going on.

Infinity is Infinity and Lanparty is Lanparty. They are very different as the Infinity are usually mainstream boards and LP's are for OCers.

I've played with the DFI infinity as well and it is ok. Hands down Lanparty usually means the best an OCer can want. Is it picky? I've never had any issues but some people claim they have. I would pick the Abit simply because it is such a good board. The Infinity is not bad either. Don't get me wrong. But unless you need the extra PCI I'd taek the Abit.

The Asus SLI, one right under in price from the Crosshair, is a decent OCer. What keeps this from being a great OCer is the memory voltages. I forgot the maximum but it didn't go anywhere near as far as the Nview's.

OP hasn't even posted in a while. So don't know what's going on.

Infinity is Infinity and Lanparty is Lanparty. They are very different as the Infinity are usually mainstream boards and LP's are for OCers.

I've played with the DFI infinity as well and it is ok. Hands down Lanparty usually means the best an OCer can want. Is it picky? I've never had any issues but some people claim they have. I would pick the Abit simply because it is such a good board. The Infinity is not bad either. Don't get me wrong. But unless you need the extra PCI I'd taek the Abit.

The Asus SLI, one right under in price from the Crosshair, is a decent OCer. What keeps this from being a great OCer is the memory voltages. I forgot the maximum but it didn't go anywhere near as far as the Nview's.

Thanks,
I ended up ordering th Abit NF-M2 last night. I have used a DFI infinity for my sisters system; think it was a socket 754 AMD; its ok but nothing like the Lanparty. I am still a newbie when it comes to overclocking but I never had any problems with my DR-Expert or my ultra-d , just as easy to use as anything else if you ask me. DFI seems like they are out on vcation though; havent seen them come out with a whole lot in the last year as everyone else has come out with all kinds of boards; kind of upset me. I am usually partial to DFI and ASUS, but I will usually go with whats best for my needs and has the best bang for the buck. Thats why I went from AMD to Intel; but have been having nothing but problems so far. Currently I now run my opty 170 which has been the best system for me so far, I sold some items and now will be adding an e6600 on a P5W DH Dlx, adding X2 3800+ AM2 with the abit; for folding and backup cause Im pretty sure I will be able to set this system up easily, overclock it, and having it run stable with no issues. I might also build a low power xeon cruncher with a Asus PC-DL 1.6ghz overclocked to hopefully at least 3 ghz.

The only thing im wondering is can I build a new system that will out perform this xeon cruncher for the same amount of money. being that newer technology usually has better performance and you can build pretty good cheap systems these days. the xeon cpus and mobo will run me approx$ 115. and I can get cheap ddr400 ram and cheap gpu. I guess its hard to beat this price.
sorry for rambling; Im dont now, lol

INFRNL

Sorry,
I was out of town.

I thank you all for your suggestions. They were somewhat helpful. Unfortunatly they did tend to confuse me a bit even more. One person says so and so motherboard is the best hands down. They another guy claims the same on a different board. So who am I to go with? What makes one persons board better than the other?

Thanks again

What makes one persons board better than the other?

Comes down to personal preference. Most of the people here suggesting boards haven't used more than maybe 1 or 2, so they give you opinions based on what they've used in the past, what they are using now, and brand reputation.

out of the ones recommended, pick the one that offers the most that interests you for the price you want to pay. for higher dollar I would go with the DFI lanparty or asus M2n32 unless you want the crosshair, for lower budget get the Abit NF-M2 as I did or get the DFI Infinity. Thats my thoughts.

Back