Best Air Cooling. Ever.

I thought about doing this, because my room gets extremely hot. The problem arises when you want to start playing a different game, and have to go to the garage/basement to change discs...
Is there an easy way to remedy that?

I'm doing something similar, i'm probably going to put my pc in the basement below my office and run everything up through the floor. My solution to you would be no-cd cracks like others have said. Or if you play a game like bf 2142 where that doesn't work(that i know of), then you can just get an external dvd drive. It would also be convenient if you do a lot of burning.

I'm curious. Do you find you have to worry about static build up in those dry conditions, or excessive dust accumulation?

I want to try sticking my computer next to an open window, San Francisco, it's always freezing outside.

I used to have a little bit of frost buildup and dust. I've found that its actually better to not use a case at all (just have the motherboard open to the air, hanging upside down) Not only does it run cooler but there is less frost and sweat moisture buildup.

The only thing that gets hot on the mobo are the heatsinks. and if there is any water buildup to the point where its going to create a drop of water, hanging it upside down makes sure it just drops harmlessly to the floor. Sealing the bottom of the mobo (or should I say top now that its mounted upside down) with a light lacquer, and periodically checking on it for moisture and dust is basically all the maintenance that is required.

Alternately, using a CPU fan that sucks instead of blowing onto the mobo and mounting it the regular rightside up way also works fairly well, as long as you aren't using a high powered vidcard.

The PCI-E clip on most motherboards helps to keep it in place when upside down, but you should probably ghetto something to hold the backplates if you do so just to be on the safe side.

I used to have a little bit of frost buildup and dust. I've found that its actually better to not use a case at all (just have the motherboard open to the air, hanging upside down) Not only does it run cooler but there is less frost and sweat moisture buildup.

The only thing that gets hot on the mobo are the heatsinks. and if there is any water buildup to the point where its going to create a drop of water, hanging it upside down makes sure it just drops harmlessly to the floor. Sealing the bottom of the mobo (or should I say top now that its mounted upside down) with a light lacquer, and periodically checking on it for moisture and dust is basically all the maintenance that is required.

Alternately, using a CPU fan that sucks instead of blowing onto the mobo and mounting it the regular rightside up way also works fairly well, as long as you aren't using a high powered vidcard.

The PCI-E clip on most motherboards helps to keep it in place when upside down, but you should probably ghetto something to hold the backplates if you do so just to be on the safe side.

For some reason I imagine this wire laden contraption swinging from cables holding it to the ceiling in your garage... hehehe.. do you use it like a tennis ball when you pull your car in the garage so you don't hit the wall? :)

For some reason I imagine this wire laden contraption swinging from cables holding it to the ceiling in your garage... hehehe.. do you use it like a tennis ball when you pull your car in the garage so you don't hit the wall? :)

Hehe, thats not too far from the truth.

Its mounted upsidedown by wires one end attached to the underside of the frame of an old $5 metal chair, the other ends attached to *special* bolts I made for the motherboard holes. Ghetto sure, and it does sway a bit if there is a wind gust. It was at one time - suspended by plastic zip ties.

Patent pending ;)

Its mounted upsidedown by wires one end attached to the underside of the frame of an old $5 metal chair, the other ends attached to *special* bolts I made for the motherboard holes. Ghetto sure, and it does sway a bit if there is a wind gust. It was at one time - suspended by plastic zip ties.

Patent pending ;)

haha, I don't think hardware manufacturers had "all weather" in mind with their products. :)

"Yeah, I'm calling about your video card .. I need to know how well it will do it rain." :)

Patent pending ;)

Jesus!

you must provide some pictures of that!

I'm doing something similar, i'm probably going to put my pc in the basement below my office and run everything up through the floor. My solution to you would be no-cd cracks like others have said. Or if you play a game like bf 2142 where that doesn't work(that i know of), then you can just get an external dvd drive. It would also be convenient if you do a lot of burning.

If you purchased BF2142 via EA Link, then you never got a physical DVD, and it runs w/o it.

N-Atlantic, 10c Is considered to be hot around here, My C2D running at 3.2 Ghz 1.4v idles at 24c :D

Back