Best Air Cooling. Ever.

:D

So I stuck my computer with its massive 240mm side fan on the side of the desk facing the wall. Shooting up the wall from the floor is the air conditioning vent :D

BAM! Minus another 6-7 degrees instantly.

:D

So I stuck my computer with its massive 240mm side fan on the side of the desk facing the wall. Shooting up the wall from the floor is the air conditioning vent :D

BAM! Minus another 6-7 degrees instantly.

if that's in Fahrenheit, that's horrible. My honeywell 250mm at high pulls down my case temps by atleast 10F if not more and my CPU by 4C. lol.

Meh, ducting from the outside with a strong fan pulling always improves temps greatly.

Bah, I win. Come up to Canada and stick your whole computer in an unheated garage and run the cables through the wall into the house.

-30 Celsius in January (which is just about -30 farenheit too) There are usually at least 4 months of continual below 0 weather.

Putting a 92mm fan onto the side of my case lowered my mobo (northbridge?) by about 6C and allowed me to put the case side back on!

Bah, I win. Come up to Canada and stick your whole computer in an unheated garage and run the cables through the wall into the house.

-30 Celsius in January (which is just about -30 farenheit too) There are usually at least 4 months of continual below 0 weather.

I thought about doing this, because my room gets extremely hot. The problem arises when you want to start playing a different game, and have to go to the garage/basement to change discs...
Is there an easy way to remedy that?

I thought about doing this, because my room gets extremely hot. The problem arises when you want to start playing a different game, and have to go to the garage/basement to change discs...

no CD cracks

You do win. I've thought about doing stuff like this during the winter here, but during the summer it's ~10c-20c hotter outside than inside. I would love to have a garage or something close by that would be always cool. I'm on the 2nd floor or I would consider routing cables through the basement.

The other advantage to this type of "remote" access is no noise. You could have the biggest, loudest fans on the planet running 24/7 in your rig and it would never bother you since it's on the other side of a wall.

Yes. A USB DVD drive. Or an external 5.25" enclosure with one of your existing drives in it.

If I had the opportunity, I would totally jump on board with this type of setup.

isn't there the possibility of condensation...wait.. dry cold up there?

You'd think so, but I guess the fact everything in the box is subject to the same -30C (as opposed to a single block) takes care of the condensation. Weird tho, you'd figure frost would accumulate during cooldowns and it would melt on power-up :confused:

My new house, I'm moving in to the basement heated with baseboard heaters. During the winter I'll try and keep the heat down and see how cool I can run my H20 setup :)

where do i buy this 240mm fan.>!>>!? i need to mod a few my windows to put 120mm fans but the 240 would be way more kick ass.. let me know only one know of is the antec one from antec site thats 25$.. not horrible price but lil bit much for non-led black fan..

The best 'air' cooling would probably have to be Titan Armada.
It should be, but unfortunately it's not. The TEC coolers just haven't proven themselves to be the "ultimate" like they should be.

Best heatsink available right now is the Ultra 120 Extreme. Period. (at least, according to the internet, which is never wrong :))

Meh....muggy St Louis weather is kicking my processor up to 40 degrees idle when the AC kicks off.

Boo....

Phoenix Az, it hit 117 a few weekends ago and I took my pc outside to see what it idled at, it went from 42C inside to 58C outside. It would proably die if I were to push it hard in 117 degree weather.

thanks for the compliment on the handle.

South Carolina's just but cause it never gets really cold. i think i snowed a few years ago... maybe.

Puerto Vallarta, over 35C in the day, around 95+F, and that's at probably at least 80% humidity... maybe not as bad as some of the places in the States, but it's freakin hot here... had to pull back my OC a bit because it was running so hot. Now I have extra fans in the case :D

I'm curious. Do you find you have to worry about static build up in those dry conditions, or excessive dust accumulation?

I want to try sticking my computer next to an open window, San Francisco, it's always freezing outside.

I replaced all my stock Silverstone TJ07 fans with yate loons and tri blade deltas and my temps have gone from these idle temps

CPU - 35c
PWMIC - 41c
Chipset - 46c

GPU 1 - 50c
GPU 2 - 46c

to these

CPU - 27c
PWMIC - 27c
Chipset 32c

GPU 1 - 40c
GPU 2 - 37c

Incredible difference these fans have made. They're obviously much louder than the stock fans when they're fully cranked but I really wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference in temps. Most of my case cooling/fan replacement experiences in the past have had poor or marginal results (I remember when I bought a Thermaltake Volcano way back that when I cranked that thing up all the way it made no difference than when it was set about 30% or so)

during the winter, I have a piece of wood I custom cut to the dimensions of my window, i open the window up, put the wood under it, and drop it down on top of it. The wood has a 120mm fan which pulls air through a dryer hose directly into my radiator. I was able to get idle temps @ 0c (in texas).

during the winter, I have a piece of wood I custom cut to the dimensions of my window, i open the window up, put the wood under it, and drop it down on top of it. The wood has a 120mm fan which pulls air through a dryer hose directly into my radiator. I was able to get idle temps @ 0c (in texas).

0c on your water, right?

0c on your water, right?

core temp @ 0c idle - but yes the air was cooling my radiator and hence my water.
coldcomputer.jpg

this is a shot around that same time, it was during a warmer day though.

Back