Best 850W Power Supply

Cometer

Weaksauce
I'm looking for the best 850W Power supply.
I'm considering the Corsair TX 850W. But at my retailer there are other options like the Antec truepower 850W (more expensive than the corsair) and many others.

What is for you guys the best 850W power supply out there?

My choices are limited to what is available at this retailer :

http://www.pccomponentes.com/FUENTES_ALIMENTACION-3.html

This will be for an enthusiast build with 2x GTX 260- 216 SLI and core i7 920.
I plan to OC the 260 and the core i7 920.
If possible I would rather choose a Modular power supply but only if it won't cause any problem.

From the list of PSUs available to you, the Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 750W, Corsair 750TX 750W and 850TX 850W PSU and Antec Trupower Quattro 850W PSUs are all good choices. They all share similar performance IIRC and it's now an issue of modular cables, company support, warranty and which company you trust more. On all those issues, I'd go with the Corsair as I like their customer support more and they seem a bit more trustworthy than Antec IMO. Note that my dealings with Antec has been always positive.

The best 850W PSUs in terms of price to performance IMO is the Corsair 850TX and the Antec CP-850

My vote goes to the Corsair 850TX (but I'm partial to it as you can tell by my signature) ;)

Enermax Revolution 850W is the best of the best out there right now, 85% efficiency but is going to cost you. And it is modular, price for 850W is like $270s the 1050W is about $310.

Enermax Revolution 850W is the best of the best out there right now, 85% efficiency but is going to cost you. And it is modular, price for 850W is like $270s the 1050W is about $310.

That price seems unjustified. The Corsair 850TX has >83% efficiency at 40-60% load which certainly meets most high standards, and it costs about half of that Enermax.

That price seems unjustified. The Corsair 850TX has >83% efficiency at 40-60% load which certainly meets most high standards, and it costs about half of that Enermax.
The TX850 tops out at around 82-83% efficiency whereas the Revolution85+ gets up to 88-89% and doesn't drop below 85%. It also has superior voltage regulation and better ripple suppression. It is expensive, but it is also a much better PSU than most other models in the same wattage range.

That said, the TX850 is certainly good enough for practically everyone. However, the Enermax is undoubtedly better.

The TX850 tops out at around 82-83% efficiency

Just for argument's sake, the TX850 hits about 85% at peak efficiency in the US, and up to 87% on 230V in the EU or UK areas.

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/CORSAIR_CMPSU-850TX_ECOS 1244_850W_450W_Report.pdf

It is designed to be a very good PSU for a price-sensitive buyer, but it is well within spec (usually at around 1/2 of the maximum spec) for voltage regulation and ripple and noise. It's not the best 850W in the world, true, but it's not trying to be, either.

I do think it's the best 850W for under $150 though.

The best 850W PSUs in terms of price to performance IMO is the Corsair 850TX and the Antec CP-850
As the Antec CP-850 only fits in 3-Antec cases, the Corsair TX850 is clearly "The Best Bang for the Buck!"

I have both an Antec trupower 1000 and a corsair 850tx and use them for different purposes (see sig). Both seem solid and well made and have been running perfectly for a few months now.

Personally, I find a modular or semi-modular psu (like the antec) better for a desktop because there's potentially less cable mess and more future proofing. Also, I happen to like the look of the Antec a lot more. So, if you're like me and care about what the inside of your case looks like, that might be something to keep in mind.

If you have 1200case i would go Antec CP-850 else i would go for Corsair 850TX

+1 for corsair. :),i love my 750tx and im sure then 850tx is probably the same thing :p

I agree it is expensive. But there is nothing alike right now in the psu market.

The TX850 tops out at around 82-83% efficiency whereas the Revolution85+ gets up to 88-89% and doesn't drop below 85%. It also has superior voltage regulation and better ripple suppression. It is expensive, but it is also a much better PSU than most other models in the same wattage range.

That said, the TX850 is certainly good enough for practically everyone. However, the Enermax is undoubtedly better.

If you read my post, I was referring to the price-to-performance ratio, and the Enermax's price doesn't seem justified relative to the Corsair 850TX.

Also, the Corsair doesn't top out at 82-83% efficiency. On the contrary, I reaches 86% around 350W and 85% at 520W.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=126

Better regulation, less noise and higher efficiency plus 5 yrs replacement warranty. The law of diminishing returns applies to everything costing twice the money doesn't mean it is twice as good, i'm sure the TX750 does a great job which is what i am currently have in my rig. Although i would look seriously into the 1050w version of the Enermax if i was going to expand my rig.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=138

It has decent regulation, but the +12V dropped .24V (2%) going from test 1 to 5. In the hot box, the 3.3V dropped considerably. "Less noise" is subjective in Jeremy's reviews because the SunMoon easily drowns out any power supply. Unless you're talking about ripple noise, in which case the results are good... but not uncommonly good. A 5 year warranty is decent, but not uncommon. And some units have an even longer warranty (7 years, Lifetime, etc.).

So while the Enermax Revolution 85+ is an EXCELLENT power supply, has great efficiency and I like how they use redundant wires at the modular connection so efficiency isn't affected by resistance at higher loads. I would hardly say it's like nothing else on the market... unless you're talking about the way they stamped the arrows on the side of the housing. ;)

Cheers
JonGerow aka jonnyGURU

Just for argument's sake, the TX850 hits about 85% at peak efficiency in the US, and up to 87% on 230V in the EU or UK areas.

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/CORSAIR_CMPSU-850TX_ECOS 1244_850W_450W_Report.pdf

It is designed to be a very good PSU for a price-sensitive buyer, but it is well within spec (usually at around 1/2 of the maximum spec) for voltage regulation and ripple and noise. It's not the best 850W in the world, true, but it's not trying to be, either.

I do think it's the best 850W for under $150 though.
Oh, I agree. The TX850's strength is the fact that it's a very inexpensive and good quality high-capacity unit. I wasn't criticizing it at all really, just pointing out the fact that the Enermax does provide many benefits for its extra cost. They aren't really competing directly with each other since the TX850 is more of a budget unit whereas the Enermax is definitely a premium piece of hardware (with a premium price).
If you read my post, I was referring to the price-to-performance ratio, and the Enermax's price doesn't seem justified relative to the Corsair 850TX.

Also, the Corsair doesn't top out at 82-83% efficiency. On the contrary, I reaches 86% around 350W and 85% at 520W.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=126
I realize what you were saying. I don't believe the price is unjustified though based on its superior performance. Obviously it isn't cheap, but the cost is consistent with other PSUs of similar quality.

And I stand corrected about the Corsair's efficiency, although HardOCP's testing resulted in numbers more similar to what I was talking about: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU5OCw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Unfortunatly my options are limited to what my retailer has available
http://www.pccomponentes.com/FUENTES_ALIMENTACION-3.html

And from what I can tell for a 850W power supply the Antec Truepower 850 or the Corsarr 850W are the best.
I'm going to do some heavy OC. My case will be a Coolermaster 935 HAF. I don't know if choosing between modular or non modular is going to affect the air flow that much but would be good to have modular.
Or else I could end up buying the corsair 1000w . A bit too much no?

From the options I have at that website what would you choose for a system that will only use 2x260.graphics cards?

From those choices, I'd go with the TX850. The HX1000 would be too much.

Better regulation, less noise and higher efficiency plus 5 yrs replacement warranty. The law of diminishing returns applies to everything costing twice the money doesn't mean it is twice as good, i'm sure the TX750 does a great job which is what i am currently have in my rig. Although i would look seriously into the 1050w version of the Enermax if i was going to expand my rig.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=138

It has decent regulation, but the +12V dropped .24V (2%) going from test 1 to 5. In the hot box, the 3.3V dropped considerably. "Less noise" is subjective in Jeremy's reviews because the SunMoon easily drowns out any power supply. Unless you're talking about ripple noise, in which case the results are good... but not uncommonly good. A 5 year warranty is decent, but not uncommon. And some units have an even longer warranty (7 years, Lifetime, etc.).

So while the Enermax Revolution 85+ is an EXCELLENT power supply, has great efficiency and I like how they use redundant wires at the modular connection so efficiency isn't affected by resistance at higher loads. I would hardly say it's like nothing else on the market... unless you're talking about the way they stamped the arrows on the side of the housing. ;)

Cheers
JonGerow aka jonnyGURU

lol, that's hilarious. don't reference links to the guy who writes the damn review!!! :D:D

lol, that's hilarious. don't reference links to the guy who writes the damn review!!! :D:D

JonnyGuru/JonGerow no longers reviews PSUs at JonnyGuru.com. Oklahoma Wolf and madmat now do the PSU reviews.

I would probably go with the Corsair TX850.
Agreed, good advice.:)

The Corsair 850W is about $100, these "premium" PSU's are about $250 &
as no one intentionally loads beyond 70% rated continuous capacity, THERE ARE NO MEASUREABLE DIFFERENCES!

We try to load between 40% & 60% of rated continuous capacity & at those power levels "THERE ARE NO MEASUREABLE DIFFERENCES!"

Please remember on the JonnyGURU reviews, test #5 is a non-real world test, just to test the claims of the manufacturer.
No modern "real world" system could ever load the +3.3V, +5V to their rated capacities & still load the +12V to full rated wattage.

Last edited:
Toughpower Standard 850W W0172RU Free 2 Years Ext. Warranty (Refurbished Product) $129
WoW a refurbed TT for $129 or a new Corsair TX850 with a 5yr warranty for $100?:rolleyes:

I'll take the Corsair anyday!:D

WoW a refurbed TT for $129 or a new Corsair TX850 with a 5yr warranty for $100?:rolleyes:

There is always a valuable reason why one product is priced lower than another comparable product. Based on JonnyGURU's review, his sample's build quality of the Corsair wasn't that great.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=126

The Bad:

* efficiency got below 80% in the hot box, progressive load tests
* soldering could be a bit better

The Mediocre:

* heatsink screws loose again... this time, all of them

There is always a valuable reason why one product is priced lower than another comparable product. Based on JonnyGURU's review, his sample's build quality of the Corsair wasn't that great.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=126
Efficiency only dropped below 80% on "non-real world" test. Test #5 & the cross load, both of which are totally unachievable in a real world system. The "loose screws" would also have been a problem for TT as they a both based on the same CWT, however this problem, thanks to OKW, has been addressed. For years TT sold nothing but junk & now that they are finally selling some decent units, you would place them above Corsair, who from Day One has sold nothing but very good PSU's!

For the same power-rating, I will take Corsair over TT anytime! :D

Agreed, good advice.:)

The Corsair 850W is about $100, these "premium" PSU's are about $250 &
as no one intentionally loads beyond 70% rated continuous capacity, THERE ARE NO MEASUREABLE DIFFERENCES!

We try to load between 40% & 60% of rated continuous capacity & at those power levels "THERE ARE NO MEASUREABLE DIFFERENCES!"

Really?

What power supplies are you comparing it too?

The M12D-850 and SG-850 are both measurably better.

Really?

What power supplies are you comparing it too?

The M12D-850 and SG-850 are both measurably better.
I wish I still had my set up here!

Looking at these O'scope pics, at 40% to 60% load, load/voltage regulation is about the same, all have very solid & stable rails.

I agree that noise & ripple are measurably less, so I stand corrected, I should only have stated that load/voltage regulation is about the same.

I wish I still had my set up here!

Looking at these O'scope pics, at 40% to 60% load, load/voltage regulation is about the same, all have very solid & stable rails.

I agree that noise & ripple are measurably less, so I stand corrected, I should only have stated that load/voltage regulation is about the same.

Regulation is better on the SG-850 and both have better efficiency and Transient Load Response than the TX850W.

At the end of the day the TX850W it is a CWT PSH with a solid cap on the secondary, which would make its big selling point price. The PSH platform is well past its prime as there are simply many better designs out there these days.

Regulation is better on the SG-850 and both have better efficiency and Transient Load Response than the TX850W.

At the end of the day the TX850W it is a CWT PSH with a solid cap on the secondary, which would make its big selling point price. The PSH platform is well past its prime as there are simply many better designs out there these days.
Yes the CWT PSH & PUC are both getting a little long in the tooth.

I love Jon's new variable frequency design, BFG ES-800 & BFG EX-1200, but without the parts they can build them, & since Jon & company were smart enough to get exclusive distribution rights for North America, no one else will be bring them over either! I sure hope they solve their parts problems real soon!

And of course I do appreciate the incredible quality of the Antec SG's: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033950456&postcount=19

@Paul

What would you recommend as the "Best Bang for the Buck" in a MODULAR PSU in the 800W to 900W range?

Last edited:

The Thermaltake is modular, which is why there is a premium. In terms of quality, the Thermaltake and Corsair are practically identical, aside from the small tweaks Corsair made to the secondary side.
I love Jon's new variable frequency design, BFG ES-800 & BFG EX-1200
The ES-800 is a completely different design compared to the EX-1200.
And of course I do appericate the incremental quality of the Antec SG's
It's hardly incremental. The Signature series has much better performance than the vast majority of PSUs on the market, including Corsair's.

Back