• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 680i?

AdamPA

n00b
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
32
Which 680i would you recommend? I could spent up to $300 for the Striker but would rather not. Mainly looking for overclocking and ease of use. thanks
 
evga. I'd steer clear of the striker unless you really want the bling factor.
 
TR have all the cables and what not

AR is just OEM basically

I also think the ones with the numbers are newer
 
STAY AWAY FROM AR AND TR!!!


Get A1 or T1.

Striker if you don't like your northbridge and southbridge running hot as hell. That heatpipe jungle looks like ass, but it works better than the EVGA crap ass fan.
 
AR & TR have reduced quad core over clocking functionality, there is a fix though, and its the A1 and T1 boards. Also, to correct a previous poster the T1 and TR boards are mostly just the board and a few essential items and does not have a lifetime warranty unlike the full retail version known as the A1 which has all of the cables and more and has a lifetime warranty. But mind you in order to have your lifetime warranty be sure to register it within 30 days or you don't get a full warranty, only a year.
 
STAY AWAY FROM AR AND TR!!!


Get A1 or T1.

Striker if you don't like your northbridge and southbridge running hot as hell. That heatpipe jungle looks like ass, but it works better than the EVGA crap ass fan.

HR-05 Ftw! :D
 
HR-05 Ftw! :D

HR-05 FTL, bro. It will transfer the heat from the southbridge RIGHT into the video card's onboard fan. Not good. Check out my thread over heah: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93196

Temps have since gotten worse; this is with HR-05 on the southbridge being right under the GPU-sink. It's not the case with just my DFI board - it's the same with all boards. The HR-05 on a 680i will be even worse - feeding that blazing MCP heat right to the GPU.


Water cooling, FTW. ;)
 
Sorry but EVGA rocks. Not sure what you did to your board, but they accept ALL motherboard RMAs.

Got mine returned to me in less than a week.
 
I didn't do anything to my board. No aftermarket cooling, no DIY water cooling, etc. I'm simply stating that while you got your motherboard back in a week, other people may not have.

In any case, the fact that both of us have had to RMA a EVGA motherboard speaks volumes by itself.
 
In any case, the fact that both of us have had to RMA a EVGA motherboard speaks volumes by itself.

lol I love it. I think I'll just bathe in the ignorance for a little bit.



Okay I'm over it.

What about the volumes spoken by ASUS, XFX, Foxconn, and other manufacturers? The 680i chipset had problems from the start. ANY manufacturer producing the board would have had astronomical RMA rates. It's nVidia's fault; it has nothing to do with EVGA. NVidia replaced the 680i with a revision, thus the high RMA rate. People returned their boards for the revision. EVGA accepts your board for replacement almost regardless - be thankful you did not buy an ASUS!

It goes without saying the 680i is junk if you aren't running SLI or don't need supplemental heated-air conditioning in your room.
 
Sorry but EVGA rocks. Not sure what you did to your board, but they accept ALL motherboard RMAs.

Got mine returned to me in less than a week.

...
In any case, the fact that both of us have had to RMA a EVGA motherboard speaks volumes by itself.

Sorry but EVGA rocks. Not sure what you did to your board, but they accept ALL motherboard RMAs.


You misunderstand my not-so-subtle dig. Stating it more clearly, may I ask what you did to your board then?

I'm sure that I'll get this issue resolved eventually, but I'm complaining about how long its taking for EVGA to resolve it, not about the quality of the product.It was working pretty well for 2 weeks before it inexplicably gave up the ghost. I understand that this happens, but I don't understand why it takes 2 days to approve an RMA, some unknown but gradually increasing amount of days to ship it, and why I can get my trash picked up and my mail delivered but can't reach the RMA department on a non-holiday Monday.

lol I love it. I think I'll just bathe in the ignorance for a little bit.



Okay I'm over it.

What about the volumes spoken by ASUS, XFX, Foxconn, and other manufacturers? The 680i chipset had problems from the start. ANY manufacturer producing the board would have had astronomical RMA rates. It's nVidia's fault; it has nothing to do with EVGA. NVidia replaced the 680i with a revision, thus the high RMA rate. People returned their boards for the revision. EVGA accepts your board for replacement almost regardless - be thankful you did not buy an ASUS!

It goes without saying the 680i is junk if you aren't running SLI or don't need supplemental heated-air conditioning in your room.

Also, not to start any flame wars or anything but I think I'll bathe in your ignorance. You know the funny thing about all those manufacturers (except for Asus)? They aren't really manufacturers. They're all made in the same place by the same people. EVGA, ASUS, XFX and BFGTech don't make the motherboards. Foxconn -- better known as Hon Hai Precision Industry -- manufactures the 680i reference boards. See that LGA 775 socket protector cap on the motherboard? Yeah, its got that Foxconn logo on it.

Anyways, I'm done with this matter. I'm just trying to let people know that I'm having a bad experience with EVGA. Product faulty? I can deal. Not shipping out the RMA in the timeframe you told me you would do it especially when I paid you extra for "advanced" RMA? Not so hot. Other people's experience may differ, but I'm having issues with their support and I can only hope that potential buyers take my case into consideration before spending their hard-earned cash.
 
I killed three of my boards with my own hands. :rolleyes: Mashed the southbridge with a waterblock. One short circuited... one was an original AR with the original problematic plague.... and EVGA accepted all of them for RMA.

MANY many people had to get RMA for their 680is for reasons other than DOA (SATA issues, XFI + SLI issues (EVGA was the first to fix and acknowledge this) PS/2 mouse issues, quad core issues (again, EVGA first to acknowledge), RAID issues...) NVidia had plenty of problems with this chipset.

Just you and I don't speak volumes; it's the amount of people that used THE 680i in general that speak volumes.


EVGA is a great company in my book because they have on numerous times upheld their policy to great customer support! They ship fast ( I live in CA ) and communicate fast. What more could you want?
 
killed 2 of mine, It doesnt matter which company you pick, they are all gonna die on you.

Im waiting for the x38 chipset around next month to sell my pos 680I. my 2nd gaming computer + overclocked has no problem with a 650I chipset. If your gonna do SLI its gonna be X8 not X16.
 
What happens if I have Xfi plus SLI?? And I really like the Foxcon 680i but have heard different stories about the overclocking of it. Foxcon 680i vs. EVGA 680i?
 
What happens if I have Xfi plus SLI?? And I really like the Foxcon 680i but have heard different stories about the overclocking of it. Foxcon 680i vs. EVGA 680i?


Hello, I would like to ask the exact same question as AdamPA did.

Anyone here running flawlessly on an eVGA 680i, in SLi configuration + SB X-Fi + RAID-0 configurations without a hitch on the latest P28/P29 BIOS revisions?

Also, if anyone's rig applies to the above - do you also have it OC'ed ? :)

Thank you!

Samuel.
 
See that LGA 775 socket protector cap on the motherboard? Yeah, its got that Foxconn logo on it.

Technically, all that means is that Foxconn made the cap ;). But you are correct in that Foxconn made all the Nvidia reference boards. The actual Foxconn board is slightly different, but more similar to the reference boards than the Asus.
 
HR-05 FTL, bro. It will transfer the heat from the southbridge RIGHT into the video card's onboard fan. Not good. Check out my thread over heah: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93196

Temps have since gotten worse; this is with HR-05 on the southbridge being right under the GPU-sink. It's not the case with just my DFI board - it's the same with all boards. The HR-05 on a 680i will be even worse - feeding that blazing MCP heat right to the GPU.


Water cooling, FTW. ;)

haha of course watercooling is the best option!

But i mean if you have good airflow in your case then you should be fine. If i used an HR05 then my case's airflow would push air right over the hr05 and into the exhaust fan directly behind it. Regardless water is always a better option than passive.
 
Back
Top