Best 4k monitor for under $500?

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been searching high and low for a "good" 4k monitor that's under $500. Can you guys tell me what 4k monitors you have and the pros and cons? Thanks!

I have a seiki 39", 2013 model. payed less than $500 at the time. it was one of the few 4k displays that does real 1080p 120hz. but only does 4k 30hz. it works well for watching 4k movies, and slow paced games like civilization.
in 2017 the equivalent is the samsung 6300, which can not do 1080p 120hz but does 4k 60hz. these TVs have great contrast and if you can handle the size,IMNSHO they are a good alternative to the 27" 4k TN panels found below $500.
it is quite hard to suggest a monitor without knowing your usage scenario. from your build, i assume you game A LOT, but that still leaves the question of what kind of games you play.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a seiki 39", 2013 model. payed less than $500 at the time. it was one of the few 4k displays that does real 1080p 120hz. but only does 4k 30hz. it works well for watching 4k movies, and slow paced games like civilization.
in 2017 the equivalent is the samsung 6300, which can not do 1080p 120hz but does 4k 60hz. these TVs have great contrast and if you can handle the size,IMNSHO they are a good alternative to the 27" 4k TN panels found below $500.
it is quite hard to suggest a monitor without knowing your usage scenario. from your build, i assume you game A LOT, but that still leaves the question of what kind of games you play.
Sorry, I failed to mention a good 4k monitor for gaming, lol. Low input lag, etc.

I play all types of games from FPS to RPG's.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
At that price point the Samsung 6290 or 6300 40" is your best bet, unless you're willing to deal with a TN panel to get lower input lag.

If you can find one, HHGregg was selling a newer model Seiki (42 or 43", can't remember) for like $250. May be worth checking your local store.

FWIW the 6290/6300 has low input lag in game mode (and decent enough outside of game mode) but also high GTG response time so you'll see some smearing. No freesync either, but otherwise it's big and beautiful.

The LG 27UD68 appears to be a decent monitor with good reviews but it's pretty small. The 32" QNIX might be another contender in that price range with the associated tradeoffs when buying a Korean import. There are some other 24 and 27" monitors under $500 with various trade-offs, but I think it's really the 6290, the QNIX, or the 27" LG. If you could stretch to $650 you could include the Sony X800D, $800 (or cheaper on sale) you could hit some of the 32" BenQs, and $1000 the LG 32UD99 that's coming out.

FWIW the 6290/6300 has low input lag in game mode (and decent enough outside of game mode) but also high GTG response time so you'll see some smearing. No freesync either, but otherwise it's big and beautiful.

The LG 27UD68 appears to be a decent monitor with good reviews but it's pretty small. The 32" QNIX might be another contender in that price range with the associated tradeoffs when buying a Korean import. There are some other 24 and 27" monitors under $500 with various trade-offs, but I think it's really the 6290, the QNIX, or the 27" LG. If you could stretch to $650 you could include the Sony X800D, $800 (or cheaper on sale) you could hit some of the 32" BenQs, and $1000 the LG 32UD99 that's coming out.
I currently have a Qnix 1440p with tons of bleeding and high lag. I think I'm going to go with the 6290 but I'm going to wait. Can't find it anywhere for a decent price.

I currently have a Qnix 1440p with tons of bleeding and high lag. I think I'm going to go with the 6290 but I'm going to wait. Can't find it anywhere for a decent price.

I owned a 6290 for a couple of months. Unfortunately mine broke and costco no longer carried it so couldn't give me an exchange. It's a pretty good value to be sure. I suspect they use a couple of different panels in it since there may be a bit of a lottery involved.

Found one for $360 on amazon and had $75 in gift cards; so I bought one last night :)

Can't wait!

Edit - I'm reading different things on this TV/monitor. Should I put it in PC or game mode? I read in PC mode, the sharpness needs to be @ 50 so I can read text clearly.

But if it's not in game mode, I'll get bad input lag, correct?

In PC mode you'll get 4:4:4 chroma which will make text (especially red and blue) look far better, but you will indeed have higher input lag than game mode. Having said that, I kept mine in PC mode all the time since it was still low enough to not really bother me. Even in PC mode it's pretty good unless you are a hardcore FPS gamer. Frankly the lack of freesync/gsync, max 60Hz signal, and high GTG pixel response time sort of already rule the 6290 out if you do competitive FPS imho. It's just fine for casual gaming though.

In PC mode you'll get 4:4:4 chroma which will make text (especially red and blue) look far better, but you will indeed have higher input lag than game mode. Having said that, I kept mine in PC mode all the time since it was still low enough to not really bother me. Even in PC mode it's pretty good unless you are a hardcore FPS gamer. Frankly the lack of freesync/gsync, max 60Hz signal, and high GTG pixel response time sort of already rule the 6290 out if you do competitive FPS imho. It's just fine for casual gaming though.
I play FPS's a lot but I don't do it competitively so I should be good! Thanks for all your help!

Back