Best 30 inch LCD?

The dell is a IPS, so the response time is naturally going to be slower than the PVA based samsung. In addition IPS beats PVA in picture quality and input lag. I would go with the Dell 3007 or 3008.

I've yet to read any review that puts the 3007-HC ahead of the 305T. Now that Dell has hoisted the 3007's price to $1399, the 305T looks even better.

i cant say enough about the 305t - its a great monitor- no nonsense, fast big giant screen

The dell panel is better than the samsung panel.

Typically the factory default of the samsung 305T is better than the dell 3007WFP, but with calibration the S-IPS in the dell beats the S-PVA in the samsung.
Without a doubt, the dell has better color accuracy than the samsung. A lot of people think the samsung "looks better" due the artificial color saturation.

You can see the results for yourself at
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=237&p1=2302&ma2=36&mo2=238&p2=2303&ph=11

Plus the 3007 is cheaper. Also there are other 30" S-IPS monitor brands like apple and hp if you really don't want a dell.

How do you go about calibrating a monitor?

The 3007-HC's response time is double that of the 305T (and my 2407WFP). Isn't that a pretty steep and noticeable difference? I'm not absolutely firm on the 305T. I want the best 30"er strictly for PC use (games and lots of writing/editing).

How do games perform on your 305T? I'm probably going to use my tax refund to get one.

i play hl2 and oblivion @ 1900- its beautiful! - i guess i could game at 2560 x 1600 too, its gorgeous at this resolution, sli would help at this high rez

The 3007-HC's response time is double that of the 305T (and my 2407WFP). Isn't that a pretty steep and noticeable difference? I'm not absolutely firm on the 305T. I want the best 30"er strictly for PC use (games and lots of writing/editing).

S-IPS panels are way better for color reproduction than the other technologies. I've had them side by side and the difference is huge. I've got the older Dell 3007WFP and it is fast enough for gaming. I quite enjoy gaming on it actually. The 3007WFP-HC is even better as I understand it.

I do not recommend the 305T for gaming based on the input lag alone!!!!! Also the contrast shift is the worst you will ever see on a 30" panel, 40% of the screen is the wrong tone even after calibration, the calibration assumes you are looking 0 degrees on the whole surface of the monitor.

thank me later.

The dell panel is better than the samsung panel.

Typically the factory default of the samsung 305T is better than the dell 3007WFP, but with calibration the S-IPS in the dell beats the S-PVA in the samsung.
Without a doubt, the dell has better color accuracy than the samsung. A lot of people think the samsung "looks better" due the artificial color saturation.

You can see the results for yourself at
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=237&p1=2302&ma2=36&mo2=238&p2=2303&ph=11

Plus the 3007 is cheaper. Also there are other 30" S-IPS monitor brands like apple and hp if you really don't want a dell.

So is this absolutely true ?
I looked at the picture an the S-IPS does look better but is that all that matters?
It's just that this is the first time I've heard someone say Dell is better then Samsung for 30" LCD's or anything for that matter. I've been under the assumption that Samsung has always had superior LCD's. But I've only owned ViewSonics myself so far.

I've wanted to get a 24" or 30" LCD screen to leave the 19" realm behind but I want the best product for my money. Also, wouldn't the new Dell 3008 be better then the old Dell 30" ? Why get the 3007-HC over the 3008 ?

thanks

IPS is superior to PVA, PVA is a flawed LCD technology and is something that should of been scraped long ago. Samsung need to get back to basics and start producing panels that can match IPS, the professinal market is there and its upto them whether they want to join in.

I do not recommend PVA based monitos and never will, too each his own.

I do not recommend the 305T for gaming based on the input lag alone!!!!! Also the contrast shift is the worst you will ever see on a 30" panel, 40% of the screen is the wrong tone even after calibration, the calibration assumes you are looking 0 degrees on the whole surface of the monitor.

thank me later.
Nah, I'll thank you now. I finally got a look at the 305T. The guy who showed it to me pointed out the drawbacks of PVA and strongly discouraged it as a gaming screen. Since I don't want/need all the inputs of the 3008, it looks like the 3007-HC is the screen for me... unless Dell updates the 2707 within the next couple of months.

thank me later.

I play Oblivion, HL2 and watch movies and TV on my 305T- input Lag? no such thing - mine works great, Tv , movies you name it - the 305T takes second place to no other 30 inch screen

I play Oblivion, HL2 and watch movies and TV on my 305T- input Lag? no such thing - mine works great, Tv , movies you name it - the 305T takes second place to no other 30 inch screen

I think not. I'd put it behind any display using an S-IPS panel.

IPS is superior to PVA, PVA is a flawed LCD technology and is something that should of been scraped long ago. Samsung need to get back to basics and start producing panels that can match IPS, the professinal market is there and its upto them whether they want to join in.

I do not recommend PVA based monitos and never will, too each his own

This is pure BS. Samsung LCDs are the best in the industry for the money. Sure, you can do a few twiks to make an LCD look different but not better. All use the same screen sheet.

This is pure BS. Samsung LCDs are the best in the industry for the money. Sure, you can do a few twiks to make an LCD look different but not better. All use the same screen sheet.

but different technology, is it not?
Best LCD's but worst LCD technology.

I stand by my opinion.

That's your opinion. However we aren't talking about the "best for the money". We are talking about the BEST LCD panels. S-IPS panel technology is FAR better than PVA or TN panels. So as long as Samsung's 30" panel is based on PVA technology it will be forever inferior to the Dell 3007WFP, 3007WFP-HC, 3008WFP and Apple LCD monitors as well.

There is more to LCD panels than pure response times.

i cant say enough about the 305t - its a great monitor- no nonsense, fast big giant screen
AND you can get it for like $1,099.00 brand new in the box. Very affordable compared to dell's 30 inchers. These monitors are very well made, very reliable and nice. For the avarage computer user is a dream come thru! Even for professionals that want losts of space. Photos, text, spread sheets, you name it, looks great!

AND you can get it for like $1,099.00 brand new in the box. Very affordable compared to dell's 30 inchers. These monitors are very well made, very reliable and nice. For the avarage computer user is a dream come thru! Even for professionals that want losts of space. Photos, text, spread sheets, you name it, looks great!

You get what you pay for. Graphics professionals would do well to spend another $200 on a Dell that has far superior color reproduction.

but different technology, is it not?

I stand by my opinion.
It does not matter, I have seen them side by side with a 11MP photo and it look exactly the same.

Just like their TV LCDs. Samsung 81 series vs. 71 vs. Sony XBR4 or XBR5.

They are made with different technologies but in the end they look the same.
81 series is like 50,000 to 1 while Sony XBR5 is like 15,000 to 1 they are about the same price and still look the same. Even the 52" size 81 model that cost about $4,500.00 vs the 52" 71 model with an inferior technology and that cost $2,000.00 look the same. Reviewers always find a flaw to enfasis that one model is inferior to the other one that they don't like but for the most part all are the same. A really well recorded HD video will look great in any of those models!.

You get what you pay for. Graphics professionals would do well to spend another $200 on a Dell that has far superior color reproduction

Not in all the cases. For example:
The 8800GTX video card is more expensive than their 8800GTS 512MB and the GTS is way better than the GTX. We are talking around $500.00 vs. $300.00 for the 8800GTS 512mb. Good thing that we can use the value in dollar as a reference! If not, Steve Jobs would be sellings us his apple computers for $7,000.00. or his iPod for $500.00. Thanks to Creative labs and other good companies we get better for less.

There is more to LCD panels than pure response times.
More shiny electronics? Better paint? Better color? more connectors? What else can they add to a piece of LCD sheet so a picture would really look superior to one looked thru a basic/average LCD?

Everything is in the drivers at this point! Perhaps the OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) monitor would show a noticeable difference. I mean day and night!

Not in all the cases. For example:
The 8800GTX video card is more expensive than their 8800GTS 512MB and the GTS is way better than the GTX. We are talking around $500.00 vs. $300.00 for the 8800GTS 512mb. Good thing that we can use the value in dollar as a reference! If not, Steve Jobs would be sellings us his apple computers for $7,000.00. or his iPod for $500.00. Thanks to Creative labs and other good companies we get better for less.

What are you smoking? The 8800GTX is faster than the GTS at high resolution with AA and AF. Sure the 8800GTS 512MB nearly matches the Ultra much of the time but only below 1920x1200. Again you generally get what you pay for and the G80 vs. G92 card argument isn't the same.

I stand by my opinion. I've seen S-IPS and PVA panels side by side and I can tell the difference. S-IPS does look better after calibration!

More shiny electronics? Better paint? Better color? more connectors? What else can they add to a piece of LCD sheet so a picture would really look superior to one looked thru a basic/average LCD?

Everything is in the drivers at this point! Perhaps the OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) monitor would show a noticeable difference. I mean day and night!

OLED is next gen and so should not be considered, so is SED and FED. As for the Samsung VS IPS, one has horendous contrast shift and one doesnt, that reason alone discounts the samsung to be used in any professional enviroment, end of discussion.

What are you smoking? The 8800GTX is faster than the GTS at high resolution with AA and AF. Sure the 8800GTS 512MB nearly matches the Ultra much of the time but only below 1920x1200. Again you generally get what you pay for and the G80 vs. G92 card argument isn't the same.

I stand by my opinion. I've seen S-IPS and PVA panels side by side and I can tell the difference. S-IPS does look better after calibration!

I never did drugs never will. I would not buy a 8800GTX to run my 21" lcd @ 1600 x 200. Also, the mayority of people don't have a 30 incher. Why lots of people are buying the GTS? Are they smoking something also? They are paying for what they need.

Another vote here for Dell 3007 and 3007-HC. They are IPS monitors, so good color reproduction, no hue shifts when viewed at an angle and fast response time (I game on my 3007, it's definitely fast enough). I had a PVA monitor before for 2 days and I returned it. Input lag and hue shifts are crazy. Samsung panels are a second rate technology compared to any IPS.

I never did drugs never will. I would not buy a 8800GTX to run my 21" lcd @ 1600 x 200. Also, the mayority of people don't have a 30 incher. Why lots of people are buying the GTS? Are they smoking something also? They are paying for what they need.

You're the one that brought gtx vs gts 512 into the argument there. Those who bought a GTX (that are also sane) would have also purchased a monitor that runs 1920x1200 or more to make use of it. So you can't really say the GTS is "way better" than the GTX. Depends on your system.

Back to the monitor debate. Best is for the individual user to see the screens side by side and see if they can tell the difference. If they cannot then no point in them spending more for a more expensive panel. For me, I've used PVA panels and the input lag and inverse ghosting annoys me to no end (you can notice it just browsing [H]). Even the view-angle restricted TN panels annoy me less. Overall if you want to pay for top quality for work that demands good colour reproduction and you also have a picky eye then IPS panels are where you should start looking at.

the Dell 3008, has better scalers and all built in to for doing anything.

So I'd go with it if I needed a 30" display.

Though personally, IF I was buying a big expensive monitor right now, I'd probably get the Dell 2707, I prefer the lower resolution. Its DPI is better for general web, creativity stuff, and HD content. Also, its native resolution doesn't require a dual link DVI card (unlike the 30's) and its resolution is a little better supported in games, etc...

Some people are going to disagree with me here, but try both & see as monitor preference is subjective. (find a store that carries 27" & 30" and play around on both)

One disadvantage that LG panels have is their sparkly grainy look. Samsung panels suffer much less from this.

Back