• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best $200 Intel CPU/Board/Memory upgrade?

brons2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
503
I'm thinking of doing a budget Intel upgrade rather than try to mess with my Opteron anymore. Basically I just want better framerates with an HD 4850 than the Opteron can offer. I don't encode anything so dual core is best for now. Running XP 32bit. With a $200 price limit I can upgrade again next month if I want to ;-)

OK so just cruising on the 'Egg I found this setup with DDR3 even:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052 $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130096R $59.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220298 $73.98, qty2

Total is $203.96, free shipping no tax.

Could probably get a better board with 2GB cheaper DDR2 memory but the copper heatsinks on the MSI look neat! :D
 
How well does that Gigabyte board overclock? Oh and, a lot of people in the Newegg comments reported it to be finicky with RAM, what's up with that?
 
How well does that Gigabyte board overclock? Oh and, a lot of people in the Newegg comments reported it to be finicky with RAM, what's up with that?

The RAM I recommended for it has been been confirmed to work well with it. So don't worry about it. The DS3L is good for at least a 400Mhz FSB OC, which is all that you need for the E2180
 
how much OC can I get away with using the stock cooler on one of these jobbies?

I'm cheap :D
(but willing to pay more if it yields lots more MHz)

What's the highest I can reasonably expect to go with this setup? 3.0?
 
The stock HSF suck for overclocking unfortunately since it's a low profile HSF. IIRC, the stock HSF is only good for stock speeds. Little or no headroom for overclocking.

Although with this HSF, no less than 3.0Ghz would be my guess:
Xigmatek HDT-S963 92mm Rifle HSF - $25

But try using the stock HSF if you're incredibly cheap/budgeted and see how far you can go with it within limits (1.5V max vCore and 65C max temp). Though if you can afford it and don't want to go through the hassle of tearing apart your rig to install a new HSF, definitely get the Xigmatek HSF. It even has a nice $10 rebate.
 
that looks pretty bad axe! :D
I have an Ultra case with 2x120 mm fans, that setup would work well with the existing front to back airflow situation. I live in Texas though and I do tend to keep the AC turned up, that definitely limits my overclocking to some degree. Room temps commonly are 80-85F.

how do you attach the fan, since the fins are upright? Screws of some sort?

I'm not really that budgeted, I'm just cheap :D

I just bought a 4850 from the [H] forums so I gotta jazz things up in the CPU department a bit :D Opteron 165 @2.4 ain't gonna cut it anymore :D

Eh, maybe I should just put an extra $100 into this thing and get an E8400 and not overclock it.....

.....naaaaah :D
 
OK one other question if anyone cares to answer...

When are the 45nm E5xxx Pentium Dual Core chips coming out?!?!?!?!?!? They will be the replacement for the E2xxx series.
 
E2200 and Gigabyte P35-D3SL board for $164.99

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032829541#post1032829541

Slightly faster stock clocking, slightly worse board (P35 vs P43). They also have 2GB Corsair TWINX for $19.99 after MIR, it's $59.99 up front.

Probably pick up some sort of aftermarket cooler as well, and come in around $250. I have a Fry's card. which is another consideration.

Good combo?
 
Good combo. But the RAM, not so much. You still have to pay tax on that $60 RAM. It may negate or limit the savings of the rebate.
 
OK one other question if anyone cares to answer...

When are the 45nm E5xxx Pentium Dual Core chips coming out?!?!?!?!?!? They will be the replacement for the E2xxx series.

My guess is August 10th. That is when fudzilla claims the E7300 will launch

I would wait for the E5200. Maybe research some motherboards some more and look for a good deal on 4GB of ram. It will go over your budget but should be $250 or maybe less.
 
Good combo. But the RAM, not so much. You still have to pay tax on that $60 RAM. It may negate or limit the savings of the rebate.

Yes, but will it work good for overclocking, that is the main concern.

I see the Crucial Ballastic is having lots of problems. Is Corsair XMS pretty good?

In my experience Mushkin rocks but it's not on sale. I got some Mushkin Redline in this opty system running at 1:1 with the CPU @270 mhz/DDR540. Rock solid.

[edit] I am making myself wait until tomorrow :D
I got my 4850 today, maybe I'll try it with the Opty and see how it does.
 
I see the P35-DS3L has a 4-pin 12v connector whereas the P43-DS3L has an 8 pin 12v connector, probably better to go with the P35 for compatibility with my current PSU (550W Antec Truepower Trio)
 
both boards are almost the same anyway....definately get a xigmatek heatsink to go with it and you should be able to hit 3ghz on stock voltages with good temps.
 
hmm, I wonder if we'll see e8200 > e7200 power savings levels when looking at e7200 > e5200. If so, this chip will end up replacing the celeron 430 in my WHS that is choking on some tasks.
 
hmm, I wonder if we'll see e8200 > e7200 power savings levels when looking at e7200 > e5200. If so, this chip will end up replacing the celeron 430 in my WHS that is choking on some tasks.

dump WHS and run FreeNAS instead, it's way better. I am running it on a mini-ITX with a 1.2 embedded Celeron and it runs great! It does have UPnP functionality and does include a media server, so you aren't giving up anything.
 
dump WHS and run FreeNAS instead, it's way better. I am running it on a mini-ITX with a 1.2 embedded Celeron and it runs great! It does have UPnP functionality and does include a media server, so you aren't giving up anything.

I got WHS for $15 from a friend who works at MS and throughput is much higher with the WHS solution. Additionally, it makes it way easier for people like my GF to access and use their backups, shared media, and other things. Plus, I like WebGuide much more than Orb or any other similar free solution. It just fits my media needs better.

I've run freenas and hardware raid5 for a damn long time. I ended up with a little WHS box that plays super nice with the media center attached to my front projector. If it was for straight storage duty, I'd still be using freenas.
 
I have a hard time believing that throughput is better on WHS than FreeNAS, all other things being equal. My FreeNAS box will completely saturate it's 100 megabit network connection while using less than 30% CPU, and it's a Celeron 1200 mini-ITX board no less. You much as admitted in post #19 that your WHS box was choking on some tasks with a CPU that by all rights should be architecturally much better than what I have, being of the Conroe family.
 
my gigabit network with all devices configured for jumbo packets sees much better speeds, especially writing to the device, than I do on my previous freenas box. I have a celeron E1200, 2 GB of RAM, and 4x500 GB drives on a hardware raid 5 card that used to do this duty. My storage is now on TB GP drives in my WHS box. The E1200 now runs as my LAMP server/dev box.

I get better transfer speeds using a regular distro or building gentoo and tweaking disk performance using hdparm, etc. FreeNAS is great, but it's not the end all, be all. It's easy to use, but just doesn't fit my needs. Again, I have people who want a very simple interface that they can access their media and backups from everywhere. When my mom can figure out how to log in and watch TV shows streamed from my house to hers using the webguide front end, it's a success.

edit: whoops, forgot to mention, it really chokes when transcoding HD streams, which is why I need a machine that can do that a little better :)
 
I see the P35-DS3L has a 4-pin 12v connector whereas the P43-DS3L has an 8 pin 12v connector, probably better to go with the P35 for compatibility with my current PSU (550W Antec Truepower Trio)

Motherboards with 8-pin connectors generally work fine with just the 4-pins, in fact most have a cap on the 4 extra pins, b/c so many people only have a 4-pin PSU wire.
 
Back
Top