Best 2.1 system

assuming you want a multimedia setup (as most people do)

klipsch 2.1 Promedia (not gmx) has horn tweeter
logitech z-2300 or 2200 has 8" subwoofer thats much more powerful and less tight than the one on klipsch

there are alot more options if u want hi-fi setup

edit: why is budget always the first question to pop up, what about some background info first. I tend to think that most people are a bit flexible and might not know exactly how much they want to spend

hmm he says "best" so my vote is for the Klipsch 2.1's - it doesn't get much better than that.

a budget and a list of requirements would be helpful. otherwise the best "2.1" system could cost several hundred dollars if you outfit it with ht components.

If you want the "best" 2.1, why not just forget about the subwoofer and get two full-range stereo speakers? Something like the B&W Nautilus would work, but be sure to pick up six monoblock amplifiers and a pre-amp level crossover network to work with them.

Hmmm....I am beginning to see why "budget" is important...

dualityim said:
If you want the "best" 2.1, why not just forget about the subwoofer and get two full-range stereo speakers? Something like the B&W Nautilus would work, but be sure to pick up six monoblock amplifiers and a pre-amp level crossover network to work with them.

Hmmm....I am beginning to see why "budget" is important...

Perhaps you should note that he's in a "COMPUTER AUDIO" Hardware forum, asking about the best speakers for gaming and music. This is not a high-end home audio forum.
Hmmm - I am beginning to see why "NOT BEING A NOOB" is important...

LOL...where will the sarcasm stop?

All in good fun, though. If sarcasm can be used to advance our arguments so humorously, then I have no regrets.

Zardoz said:
best =Klipsch promedia 2.1
I'm happy with mine. Would be nice if they came with one of those nifty controller things like the Logitech Z3 set has.

seanmcd said:
Perhaps you should note that he's in a "COMPUTER AUDIO" Hardware forum, asking about the best speakers for gaming and music. This is not a high-end home audio forum.
and you should prolly note that a lot of guys on this board would choose to use high end audio components for their computer audio. heck, a lot of us are better off using older and cheaper stereo equipment than computer speakers. just because he's looking for something to drive the sound out of his computer does not mean he has to use computer speakers.

basically, out of the computer speaker offering klipsch is your best bet, but search the forums for 2.1 speakers and you'll see that there are many more and even better options out of the realm of computer speakers.

Thanks for the info. Budget is ~$200 or less. Anybody know anything about the Altec Lansing fx6021?

i had the promedia 2.1 setup for quite some time and they are really really good for 2.1, especially on an audigy 2 zs. if you're using a decent sound card, particularly a recent creative job, i'd really really recommend using headphones 'til you can save up and go all out on the promedia 5.1 ultra set or a good 5.1 logitech package 'cuz its really really a whole different world, particularly with gaming and high end stuff like dvd-a. the 2.1's are really really great, its just that if you're any sort of an audophile they'll leave you wanting more in the very 5.1 world we're now living in, and you may just end up upgrading again in pretty short order and just wasting money like i did. my apologies for excessive length or incoherance but that's my experience on the matter.

im getting the Logitech Z2300, so i'll let you know how they are when i do finally make the purchase ;)

seanmcd said:
Well, a noob thinks that you have to use computer speakers with a computer. Personally, I would find a used, good quality stereo reciever at Goodwill/garage sale/classified ad/forum/etc for under $50. Then purchase the BR-1 kit (you really only need basic soldering skills): http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-642
These have enough bass that you don't need a subwoofer and have a very flat frequency response.

You guys circle-jerk too much.

Well, a noob thinks that you have to use computer speakers with a computer. Personally, I would find a used, good quality stereo reciever at Goodwill/garage sale/classified ad/forum/etc for under $50. Then purchase the BR-1 kit (you really only need basic soldering skills): http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...tnumber=300-642

A noob may be a noob as you call it, but more than likely someone can be more lazy than noob. That's what these multimedia sets offer, effortless setup (for the most part), and decent sound (for the size). I doubt the average consumer (hurr noob) wants to go through the trouble with receivers and studio monitors etc. when all they have to do is plug in a single cord from one box to the next.

As to the OP:

Good idea. I like the AL MX5021 better than the Klipsch PM 2.1 set.

Edit: Beaten to death topic, SEARCH.

i was asking this same question. i am finding it impossible to place any 5.1 speakers correctly in my current room and want to downgrade to 2.1. i came to the conclusion that the AL mx5021 was the winner. it has all i could ever want, and comes with a remote so i can lay my lazy ass in bed and change the volume for movies i'm playing from my computer. i doubt i will be able to tell much difference from the z2300 soundwise, but the remote is what sold me.

best for 150 and below: prodmedia 2.1 and AL mx5021. When i looked a month or two ago; promedia's had better bass/highs; but the AL had better mids. BUT, the mx5021's just loko cooler, and come w/ a control pod. Thats what pushed me over the edge toward mx5021's.

Here is my setup.

Amplifier: I bought a Sonic Impact Digital T-Amp ( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952 ) And it is been "modded" into my computer and is powered off the powersupply (after being filtered using a 10Kuf Capacitor).

Speakers: I built these: http://wyrdone.org/Projects/HomeTheater/computer/index.html
(The driver is the Tang Band W3-881S: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-812 )

Subwoofer: Built this: http://wyrdone.org/Projects/HomeTheater/subwoofer2.html

Cost? All total:
T-Amp: on sale for $18.75
W3-881S: $12ea (Speaker enclosure are basically free since I had scrap 1/2" MDF and some veneer left over from another project. I guess it's about $5-10 worth of materials)
8" DVC Subwoofer driver: on sale for $19.50
100W Amp: $75 on sale.
Sub enclosure was all total around $30 in materials....can be made for less.

This little 8" driver sub puts out some serious bass though.....wife keeps complaining about it, when she's downstairs at the other end of the house. :D

If you want a smaller enclosure than 1.5cuft., then look at the 6.5" Tang Band Sub Driver: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832

=================================================================

If you want a commercially available system with "no user assembly" I personally would go with these:

Speakers: Edirol MA-20D all digital speakers. Self powered. Optical or Coax digital input, analog input. 20W per speaker.( http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ma20d.html )
Subwoofer: Just about any 50-150W home theater subwoofer will work very well. Pick one that has a L/R compositing input.

I was looking to trade to save some space and I've got a new kid so I'm a headphoner mostly now - I do alot of loops on the synth. Anyway, I've got Z3's and they're a decent sideswap for my old creative 4.1s that ran me 250 back in the day. They sound okay until it gets real loud but I appreciate the headphone amp that it serves as when I'm using my seinhsers (sp?) - in other words...

Z3 are a steal if you are looking for a temporary solution or don't need blaring volume. Made a deal with the devil and picked them up for fifty bucks at wally world.

I use a ZS platinum if that matters - the headphone driver for the live drive is just okay to a point...

I've always liked the Logitech Z-3s. Look sharp, sound decent, especially for music, and you can find them for around $50-60. I've bought 3 or 4 sets for computer builds and never had any problems.

MrToilet said:
I've always liked the Logitech Z-3s. Look sharp, sound decent, especially for music, and you can find them for around $50-60. I've bought 3 or 4 sets for computer builds and never had any problems.

I second the Z-3s. Using them right now...

My uncle has a set of Logitech z2300s, DEAR GOD that set is outragiously awesome. I'm sitting downstairs watching TV on his digital cable, and he has his speakers upstairs on at only about mid-way and his entire house is shaking like a 7.0 earthquake I swear. :eek: He puts on his Klipsch 5.1s downstairs from time to time, but even I am in shock and awe as to how his z2300s can rival the subwoofer of a Klipsch 5.1 set, damn serious.

magnetik said:
here are some Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 refurbs for $64.95 with free shipping.

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/9701010403.html

I would be careful about buying refurbushed stuff from JustDeals, I've bought from them before, but soon enough one of the subwoofers from one of the Labtec Pulse-424 sets I had died on me. The other 2 sets I bought were good though, only problem was I blew out the second subwoofer because I pushed it pretty hard with 3 bass enhancers. :p

o0akoni0o said:
and you should prolly note that a lot of guys on this board would choose to use high end audio components for their computer audio.

high end B+W Nautilus (Prestige) run about $20,000 or there abouts.... I think that's a bit much when most of us cry and moan over the next $400 video card upgrade ;) I was just giving the guy a hard time

And I was just proving a point about budget. The guys afterwards made their point that computers can benefit from traditional audio gear rather than just computer audio systems. We've all made our points. Moving on...

I, too, aam looking for some nice 2.1 speakers that are around $100-125.

My friend has the Logitech Z-2300 (I believe) but I can't find them anywhere right now.

Anybody else have good recommendations for that price range?

They're mostly for music but I am using it with a laptop...so I don't really have a soundcard for it. Can I still use them to the best capacity?

I need some new 2.1 speakers for gaming and i was thinking about the Logitech Z-2300's. Anyone know why their availability is so limited right now? Dell shows them as 3+ weeks shipping.

Back