Best 2.1 System for $100-150

kokujin

n00b
I've been trying to replace my current desktop speakers for almost a month, and I can honestly say I think I need some help.At first I was going to buy some logitech speakers, but someone deterred me from buying a pre-built system.My question is, can I build a decent system with the money I have?, if not what are some good pre packaged systems I can buy?Any input would be appreciated.

I don't know how big of a rush you are in, but Best Buy black friday deals are a month away, and the Klipsch pro-media 2.1s usually are on sale for 50% off...

I've heard good things about the Swan M10's. They are right in your budget as well.

I don't know how big of a rush you are in, but Best Buy black friday deals are a month away, and the Klipsch pro-media 2.1s usually are on sale for 50% off...
I'll keep these mind.
look on craigslist

I don't like shopping on craiglist, plus I don't really know what to look for.I was reading around the web, and I see people are using shelf speakers for their desktop, how does that work?

These:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405&name=Home-Audio-Speakers

This:
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...?ie=UTF8&qid=1351201905&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai

and This:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z6ZR5O/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I used all manner of speakers, everything from M-AUDIO AV-40s (screw these, I had 2 sets and both had amps that died) to Klipsch Pro Medias to high-end Logitechs. This combo beats the hell out of all of them and costs about 80 bucks. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, I think I'm going to try and make my own system.My dad said it would probably be the best thing, and he doesn't mind helping me out.What are some good entry level speakers?, I was looking at the Sony SS-B1000 for speakers.I also need a woofer and an amp.Any suggestions?

These:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405&name=Home-Audio-Speakers

This:
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...?ie=UTF8&qid=1351201905&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai

and This:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z6ZR5O/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I used all manner of speakers, everything from M-AUDIO AV-40s (screw these, I had 2 sets and both had amps that died) to Klipsch Pro Medias to high-end Logitechs. This combo beats the hell out of all of them and costs about 80 bucks. :)

Awesome, thanks.How would a woofer fit in the amp though?

Ok, I think I'm going to try and make my own system.My dad said it would probably be the best thing, and he doesn't mind helping me out.What are some good entry level speakers?, I was looking at the Sony SS-B1000 for speakers.I also need a woofer and an amp.Any suggestions?

Awesome, thanks.How would a woofer fit in the amp though?

Anything powered is easy to setup, you could get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

and either hook the amp up to the soundcard and then speaker cable from the amp to the sub to the speakers, or split the signal from the soundcard and run one set of RCA cables to the sub and one to the AMP.

I'd start without a sub and see what happens, you might be surprised how little you need a subwoofer with proper speakers. And if you do add that sub, it's going to be very very powerful. Maybe that's what you want :p

I can't comment on the Sony Speakers, as I've never heard them, but I would recommend Dayton or BIC before I bought speakers from Sony.

These are the speakers I bought and built, but they're way out of your price range. They sound phenomenal though. :)

There's also the B652 speakers in your price range and many people have been happy with them.

For an amp, an old receiver on Craigslist is probably the all-round best choice for <$75. That will give you the sub-pre-out that the Lepai amp above doesn't have. Also, the receiver would provide the DAC function as well so you don't need a good sound card.

I have no idea what the separate power adapter linked at Amazon is for though, because the Lepai amp comes with it's own power adapter.

As for subwoofers, start here and choose one that fits your budget:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95?sort=pasc

Note that the Dayton $100 sub is the same price as the linked Polk sub but has 100w RMS instead of 50w RMS that the Polk sub has.

I've heard the BIC-V1220 and it sounds pretty good. I own a Dayton Elite 10" 150w that was discontinued. I really like the value that Dayton speakers & subwoofers have while having good performance as well.

The power supply is because the one that comes with the lepai is underpowered, only 2 amps

Check mono price for subs as well, I think they have decent ones for cheap.

For an amp, an old receiver on Craigslist is probably the all-round best choice for <$75. That will give you the sub-pre-out that the Lepai amp above doesn't have. Also, the receiver would provide the DAC function as well so you don't need a good sound card.

I'm not sure any receiver you get for $75 is gonna have a computer compatible DAC. Sure they'll have optical, but that still requires some kind of sound card. I'm sure the OP has a motherboard with build in sound, at least...

Last edited:
The power supply is because the one that comes with the lepai is underpowered, only 2 amps

Check mono price for subs as well, I think they have decent ones for cheap.

I'm not sure any receiver you get for $75 is gonna have a computer compatible DAC. Sure they'll have optical, but that still requires some kind of sound card. I'm sure the OP has a motherboard with build in sound, at least...

Yeah, I'm using onboard audio at the moment.

Then get an asus soundcard. Motherboard sound is horrible compared to even a $25 asus dg.

Honestly, that and a decent little amp like the lepai and just a pair of bookshelf speakers without the sub will be great with more bass than you would think. You can always get a sub later.

Then get an asus soundcard. Motherboard sound is horrible compared to even a $25 asus dg.

Honestly, that and a decent little amp like the lepai and just a pair of bookshelf speakers without the sub will be great with more bass than you would think. You can always get a sub later.

I don't mind spending a little extra on a soundcard, what's another good card?

I don't like shopping on craiglist, plus I don't really know what to look for.I was reading around the web, and I see people are using shelf speakers for their desktop, how does that work?

Pick up a used surround surround and some used bookshelves. If you look you can find both for $150 Then add a sub down the line.. craigslist is great for picking up audio equipment cheap.

The "bass module" in the 2.1 crap you buy computer speakers wise is usually smaller than a regular woofer in a bookshelf speaker and outputs less bass

Maybe I'm spoilt living in LA but glancing at craigslist gives me this

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/3333006121.html Onkyo 5.1 reciever - $50

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/3336681611.html Cerwin Vega bookshelves 1" tweeter 8" midrange - $50

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/3328271065.html 10" Velodyne Sub - $100

^There is nothing you can buy new for $200 that comes even slightly close to that

Last edited:
Pick up a used surround surround and some used bookshelves. If you look you can find both for $150 Then add a sub down the line.. craigslist is great for picking up audio equipment cheap.

The "bass module" in the 2.1 crap you buy computer speakers wise is usually smaller than a regular woofer in a bookshelf speaker and outputs less bass

Maybe I'm spoilt living in LA but glancing at craigslist gives me this

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/3333006121.html Onkyo 5.1 reciever - $50

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/3336681611.html Cerwin Vega bookshelves 1" tweeter 8" midrange - $50

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/3328271065.html 10" Velodyne Sub - $100

^There is nothing you can buy new for $200 that comes even slightly close to that

I live in Ormond Beach and this town for the most part is dead.

many motheboards have onboard optical or coaxial.

Those are some good rates on some decent gear that he linked on craigslist.

Lets get this straight:
There's two options with passive speakers:

1. The Lepai amp is just an amp. Thus the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) would still be on your motherboard and you would be using the integrated audio. You would need to purchase a soundcard in this case to improve audio decoding.

2. If you're willing to purchase a receiver like the Onkyo one matteos posted on craigslist, then you can connect the optical out from your motherboard to the receiver. That would transmit the audio signal digitally from the motherboard to the receiver where it will be decoded by the DAC in the receiver and thus you don't need a soundcard if you go this route. Also, it will provide MUCH more and cleaner power than the Lepai amp. The drawback is, of course that it requires deskspace due to the large size of the receiver.

Lets get this straight:
There's two options with passive speakers:

1. The Lepai amp is just an amp. Thus the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) would still be on your motherboard and you would be using the integrated audio. You would need to purchase a soundcard in this case to improve audio decoding.

2. If you're willing to purchase a receiver like the Onkyo one matteos posted on craigslist, then you can connect the optical out from your motherboard to the receiver. That would transmit the audio signal digitally from the motherboard to the receiver where it will be decoded by the DAC in the receiver and thus you don't need a soundcard if you go this route. Also, it will provide MUCH more and cleaner power than the Lepai amp. The drawback is, of course that it requires deskspace due to the large size of the receiver.
For option 2, what would I need to connect it to my pc?I was looking around my house and I found this, didn't even know.

http://i.picpar.com/32507dfb60be7bfeab8f03cac74dbe4a85a3558b.jpg

Man, just get the Logitech Z623 and call it a day.They're not nearly as bad as people around here like to say they are. While those pioneer speakers someone recomended are probably the best sounding loudspeakers you can get at their price, a decent amp is gonna put you out of your budget, and you'd still need a sub. And they're not computer speakers? WAY too big for a computer desk and would require studio monitor stands to get them off your desk. Not to mention the unnecesesary complication and clutter you get with an external amp.

Man, just get the Logitech Z623 and call it a day.They're not nearly as bad as people around here like to say they are. While those pioneer speakers someone recomended are probably the best sounding loudspeakers you can get at their price, a decent amp is gonna put you out of your budget, and you'd still need a sub. And they're not computer speakers? WAY too big for a computer desk and would require studio monitor stands to get them off your desk. Not to mention the unnecesesary complication and clutter you get with an external amp.

I think you're vastly overstating the cost/hassle of an amp (can be as little as $25-75 for a small desk t-amp, no more cables than any other setup and even the cheapest t-amp is no worse than what Logitech uses), and a sub is far from an absolute need (really depends on the room and personal taste)...

The one thing I do agree with is that decent bookshelf passives tend to be large and can take up a ton of desk space, there's no getting around that.

You can get some floor stands for $100/pair or even desk stands for half that, or you can fashion ghetto desk stands out of books/whatever, but you still need a good chunk of desk space. Personally I don't think something ike the Z63 are worth the money regardless (for any price), specially not for music (or even movies), I guess you can make a case for them if all they're gonna be used for is gaming...

If space/budget really are so tight he might as well just grab a $100 pair of powered monitors that are barely any larger than the Logitech's but they're gonna sound a lot more accurate. They won't shake the rafters but you can always add a sub later and still end up with something much more flexible and satisfying for the money spent.

Last edited:
Man, just get the Logitech Z623 and call it a day.They're not nearly as bad as people around here like to say they are.

pff what? i have these speakers and they are nothing but a pile of shit, no other way about it, crap, it doesnt no way in hell worth a hundred bucks.

not enough? for your viewing pleasure, the inside of one of those "35W" satellites..

img20120306114027.jpg

they actually sound a lot worse than they look, i had promedias 2.1 before, they gave up after a few years of abuse... ended up being one of the "suckers" who bought this shit.. logicrap shit.

I'm going to go ahead and get a bigger desk too.So from I just read , it looks like I'll need stands too.What's the cheapest route for that?

You don't absolutely need stands, it depends on your space and desk... Ideally you want the tweeters either at ear level or at least pointing in that direction. You also want the speakers isolated from the desk (vibrations etc) or preferably elevated (so the sound doesn't bounce along all over the desk). If you're angling them upwards you kind of accomplish both things at once, but it can be awkward with some of the larger bookshelf speakers.

Gimme a sec, I'll give you some examples. Edit: see post three posts down.

Last edited:
You don't absolutely need stands, it depends on your space and desk... Ideally you want the tweeters either at ear level or at least pointing in that direction. You also want the speakers isolated from the desk (vibrations etc) or preferably elevated (so the sound doesn't bounce along all over the desk). If you're angling them upwards you kind of accomplish both things at once, but it can be awkward with some of the larger bookshelf speakers.

If you need to raise the speakers a good 8-12" you can look into something like this:

http://www.wood-tech.com/content/fgh-8

A little pricey at $55/pair but not too bad, I think you can find them on Amazon too. If you just need to angle them up a bit you can get away with something cheaper like this (as long as the speakers aren't too large):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005STCILC?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

They're Audioengine's A5 desk stands so they work for decently sized speakers, $35/pair. It's more rubbery than it looks so it isolates well, it's not hard plastic (feels more like soft tire rubber actually). If you have no need for a new desk you can get some 26"-30" wood or metal Sanus stands from Crutchfield for like $80-$100/pair shipped (I'm actually regretting not getting a pair of the steel SF series recently, looks like they're being discontinued).

It's not absolutely necessary tho, the speakers aren't gonna sound like crap without stands and if you look around these boards there's a ton of people with larger speakers plopped right on their desks. Plus like I said earlier, a couple of books or any solid/absorbent case/box you've got laying around will do. If there's furniture (file cabinets etc) around your desk you could make that work too.

There's always cinder blocks too, heh... Tho that could be a hazard, knowing me I'd probably stub my toe into one and then kick the hell out of it and break my foot on top of it. :p

alright I think I get it now.I also might spend a little extra on the speakers since I don't need an amp.

Pretty sure that's just reflecting tape/whatever on the heels (which many running shoes have) that picked up the camera's flash.

Pretty sure that's just reflecting tape/whatever on the heels (which many running shoes have) that picked up the camera's flash.

No. They are MAGIC shoes. I don't need a car bc I can hit 60 with those bad boys.

george carlin, cinder blocks, and magic flash light sneakers = best thread ever

To OP:

While this thread has been covered by J.Macker, spaceman and impulse for the tight budget you are on (I'm no good with budgets but I can recommend a > $500 sound system should you feel the need to :p). If you do ever go down the path of getting an external dedicated DAC and high res flac files or so (16-24bit), just remember that connecting the DAC to your comp via USB will limit it to 16Bit, and 24Bit if you use Optical.

A good upgrade path since your a tightarse on budget :D, getting a good speaker over an amp is a smart idea. At least in the future should want to release the inner beast of your speakers (reference to sound potential) and you have a bigger budget for an amp, then you can get yourself a better amp.

Back