• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.1 Speaker Setup

There seem to be alot logitech hate, I wonder how their new stuff stock up.
Logitech Speaker System Z623

I'll cut this one off early. Answer: they've actually gotten worse.

That's an amazing deal on those KRK's. I tried to find a way to listen to a pair of those back when I was shopping and couldn't. The only place that carried them didn't have any out of the box for me to try out. I was a little bummed because everything I read said they were excellent.
 
The vast majority of entry-level products aren't even internally balanced anyway, and you will find that the "unbalanced" RCA outputs will actually provide better performance. A true balanced design would be marketed as "dual differential."
 
I too am looking for a 2.1 setup to upgrade from my fried Klipsch promedia 2.1 system.

How are the Swan M10 compared to the Klipsch set?
Can I get them in store in Toronto? or shipped to canada online?
 
I too am looking for a 2.1 setup to upgrade from my fried Klipsch promedia 2.1 system.

How are the Swan M10 compared to the Klipsch set?
Can I get them in store in Toronto? or shipped to canada online?

The Promedia's have far more power than the Swans. I'd consider a receiver and bookshelfs/subwoofer.
 
dang, what can I get that's at least comparable without breaking the bank (2-300$ range)?
 
Get a used receiver on eBay, Audiogon, or even craigslist.

Then go to a speciality audio shop then check out some of their speakers.
 
honestly i dont think most people have room for a receiver sitting on a computer desk, specially if you're in a small space, e.g. a condo or dorm room. All I want to do is plug them into my sound card and my power bar :)

I started googling "powered bookshelf speakers" and came up with some really good results:

From M-Audio:
Studiophile AV 40
and
Studiophile BX5a (a bit more powerful -- 70 watts) -- I think I will buy this.

Audio Engine
A2 and A5
 
I'm in a small apartment for college and I have a receiver and two bookshelf speakers and it works for me.
 
You should take the A2 out of your list. Possibly the AV40 as well.

Only the BX5a and the A5 make sense. You'll still miss the sub though.
 
TBH i don't use the Klipsch sub anyway. It's either on very very low or completely dialed down. I've contacted a few sellers re: the AV40, and the BX5a. Beggars cant be choosers :-/
 
An open box A5 is about $270, I'd go that route if possible.
 
You should take the A2 out of your list. Possibly the AV40 as well.

Only the BX5a and the A5 make sense. You'll still miss the sub though.

You can always add an 80 or 100 watt sub to either of those later on.
 
what cables would i need to connect them to my sound card?
this is what it looks like:

z82h.jpg
 
I'm still rocking an ancient set of Altec Lansing ATP3's that i bought several years ago. I wanna say... 6-7. And they still sound great. If they ever do die i'll probably be going back to Altec Lansing for my next set.
 
what cables would i need to connect them to my sound card?
this is what it looks like:

http://i35.tinypic.com/z82h.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Just connect them to the green socket. If its using two RCA connectors just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable. $5-8 at most.
 
I am debating on grabbing the Promedia's again. Best Buy has them on sale this week for $119.99. Here

My last set lasted me for years before it died. I need to order just the control pod to see if that fixes it.
 
the bx5a's each speaker has a 1/4 inch input, my sound card has one 3.5mm "Line Out" output, so I'm guessing i have to run a 1/4 cable from each speaker with a join them to a stereo adapter? I've never done wiring before I'm a total noob at it...
 
XLR connections are really meant for studio gear as the signals they send are balanced rather than unbalanced (like PC sound cards). Suggesting studio monitors for use as speakers with commercial pc sound cards is a little bizarre IMO.
 
the bx5a's each speaker has a 1/4 inch input, my sound card has one 3.5mm "Line Out" output, so I'm guessing i have to run a 1/4 cable from each speaker with a join them to a stereo adapter? I've never done wiring before I'm a total noob at it...

Just use a 1/4" to RCA adapter for each speaker. Then use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter from the soundcard and connect via RCA cables.
 
jakeshields: I am not using the xlr connection, it's just a standard 1/4 inch jack. There are no decent speakers available for the PC market, I have the klipsch 2.1 (blown amp) set now and am looking to upgrade to something better.

450: Thanks I will look into that when I pickup the speakers this week
 
jakeshields: I am not using the xlr connection, it's just a standard 1/4 inch jack. There are no decent speakers available for the PC market, I have the klipsch 2.1 (blown amp) set now and am looking to upgrade to something better.

450: Thanks I will look into that when I pickup the speakers this week

You can get the 1/4" to RCA adapters at radioshack. They should be about $5-10 for the pair.
 
So why is everyone recommending nearfield monitors for computer audio?

Anyway, Klipsch 2.1 is probably the best i've owned and used. Beats any Creative or Logitech unit by miles.

May i also mention to not plugin fancy speakers or headphones to a crappy Realtek onboard chip. Buy something decent. Asus Xonar series are really good for the money.
 
So why is everyone recommending nearfield monitors for computer audio?

Anyway, Klipsch 2.1 is probably the best i've owned and used. Beats any Creative or Logitech unit by miles.

May i also mention to not plugin fancy speakers or headphones to a crappy Realtek onboard chip. Buy something decent. Asus Xonar series are really good for the money.

I would agree with nearly any motherboard over a year old but if you take the P6T Deluxe as an example it has the ADI AD2000b, which is quite a nice performer that will be fine for any sub $200 sound setup.
But as a whole, yep pretty much every "onboard" solution is noisey and generally crap quality.

Nearfield monitors are built for studio and designed for high quality, low noise and "real" sound, they'll be better for many uses instead of being bass heavy or tinny pitched like you would usually get with satellite speakers.
 
the BX5a deluxe give me eargasm. To hell with the muffled multimedia speakers. the Klipsch goes into the storage room. Hooked them up with the "Y" 1/4" dual mono to single 1/8" cable for 7 bucks.
 
I went this route last year. Behringer MS40 active speakers with a ASW-10 sub. How times change! TheSpeakerCompany is now out of business :(
 
I added 3db at 200hz in the Windows 7 audio mixer Bass Boost enhacement and it adds just the right amount of "thump". Play around with the Hz and db until you find something comfortable.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top