• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.1 Speaker Setup

xSDMx

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
582
I have a maximum budget of $150, and, I need strong bass. I enjoy indie rock, folk, metal, and hip hop. I also thoroughly enjoy explosions in my video games. What's out there?
 
Don't buy anything logitech and you'll be fine. The staple used to be altec lansing VS. klipsch. Things have changed. I used to love my MX5021's til i blew them. I picked up replacement FX6021's which I wasn't as happy with, but still do a good job 3 years later. I would probably rebuy them and would definitely recommend them. But from what I have read, the Klipsch 2.1 set that is available these days is of lower quality than of days passed.

I would be very interested to see what some people suggest. Not sure anything really has a strong grasp on champion of the 2.1 recently.
 
For your budget and requirements I'd vote for the 2.1 Klipsch previously stated.. nothing is probably gonna be better.

Although I'd get the Swans M10 set, the sub might not be as beefy as the Klipsch but sound quality would be much better.
 
I would not recomend the m10s.
Had bad luck with the set I got, they died after a month. Poor build quality with the electronics.
Good sound sound quality when they worked. They do not have "strong bass".
 
I would not recomend the m10s.
Had bad luck with the set I got, they died after a month. Poor build quality with the electronics.
Good sound sound quality when they worked. They do not have "strong bass".

You must of just been unlucky I hear people are very happy with their set.

I have the d1080mkII, they don't have much bass, the m10 probably doesn't either but the sound is nice.

If you want bass for games you should look into those Klipsch.
 
I might even be down for 2.0. What has the best bass / quality average?
 
After the burn in for my d1080mkII, I feel the sound is much fuller and the bass that was lacking sounds better. I do have a subwoofer but sometimes I turn it off when listening to movies/music late at night and the speakers still satisfy me. The difference after burn it was significant to me.

Try them I think you'll be pleased with the sound quality.
 
What about this setup?

Dayton SUB-80 8" HT Series
Dayton B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Dayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier
 
thats a good alternative and one I considered when I first looked for a setup.

The insignias from bestbuy might be better if you want to expand your budget but I'm not sure.
 
I bought the Creative Inspire A200 2.1 setup.
Whilst it being very cheap (got mine for $20 on sale @ Fry's B&M)
The bass is strong. Most of the other people online say theirs are like that too.
I know its probably the not the best 2.1 speaker set up out there, but I just thought I'd post since you were looking for bass.

Creative A200 Inspire
 
I bought the Creative Inspire A200 2.1 setup.
Whilst it being very cheap (got mine for $20 on sale @ Fry's B&M)
The bass is strong. Most of the other people online say theirs are like that too.
I know its probably the not the best 2.1 speaker set up out there, but I just thought I'd post since you were looking for bass.

Creative A200 Inspire

dude.. please dont come here and suggest that he waste his money on creative products. if he was asking for something that he could waste money on, or if he was looking for some of the worst speakers he could get, then you suggest something like that. no offense, i just hate creative products in general. (even though i own an auzentech soundcard, which subsequently has given me TONS of problems).
 
How is the bass on the insignias? I might just get those and a T-Amp.
 
I'm not sure to be honest, I haven't heard them in person. I suggest you go out to best buy and have a listen to them yourself and see if you like them before buying.
 
I just wanted to see if anyone has any new insight. I'm upgrading to an HT Omega Claro Plus+, and my terrible speakers are going to sound worse.

Is the D1080 kit still the way to go?
 
I can get a set of KRK Rokit Gen 1 5's for $200. Should I jump on it? They're in like-new condition. I've heard they have a solid amount of bass for what they are.
 
I'm guessing I'll be able to figure out some way to test them.

I've heard that the Rokit's are kind of bad for Hi-Fi listening, though. Which makes me lean towards to Swans again.
 
Depending on how much space you have, look into getting a receiver and bookshelf or floorstanding speakers. Get all your gear used.
 
I'd definitely take that route, but I won't have enough space. That's why I'm even trying to cut a sub out.
 
I have the Swans T200a and am very impressed. Have not tried the D1080 but my vote goes to the Swans.
 
I'll step up and recomend the Logitech Z-2300's... They sound terrific with the price and are very accurate and require very little tunning through an EQ (mostly personal preference though).
 
I'll step up and recomend the Logitech Z-2300's... They sound terrific with the price and are very accurate and require very little tunning through an EQ (mostly personal preference though).

These are not in the same league as the other speakers mentioned.
 
Would the KRK kit be good for $200? They're small, have front firing bass, and are suppose to sound great.
 
Yea the KRK's are decent just don't use them as reference monitors for making music
 
So, they aren't good as studio monitors? I want them for Hi-Fi listening, so that's perfect!
 
Actually, I don't know if it would be smart for me to jump on a set of monitors. I apologize for the stream of conscience, but both Swan and TAI sound awesome, so I might just jump on the D1080MKII08.
 
I would definitely buy the KRK Rokit 5's for $200 for the pair. That is a good deal.

I've listened to them in a Guitar shop and I was impressed. They are MUCH better than the Swan D1080mkII '08, which I've also listened to.
I was excited to listen to the Swan D1080mkII '08 speakers, which I pursuaded a co-worker to purchase and had them at my house for 3 days. They are not worth the price premium over the M-Audio AV40's, in my opinion. I bought my first pair of AV-40's at $130 shipped, and a refurbed pair at $80 shipped. That was a steal. I'm glad I didn't buy the Sawn D1080mkII '08 speakers for $170. That's a ripoff compared to the deals that can be had on the AV40's. I remember the D1080mkII '08had excellent highs and just acceptable bass. The KRK's would knock the socks off the swans in the bass dept.

I've had my first pair of M-Audio AV40's for 1.5 years and a pair of the Dayton BR-1 bookshelf speakers with an Onkyo Receiver & HSU 10" 150w sub. That's my reference for comparison.

The KRK Rokit 5's are a good buy at $200. Get him down to $175 and it's a steal. They blow the Swans out of the water.
 
Yeah, the KRK's definitely seem awesome. I think I'm going to audition the set and try to get them down to $180.

Do they have any coloring at all? I've used monitors before, and I don't want 100% neutral. I want a semi-HiFi experience without taking up too much space.
 
^

What do you mean by "hi-fi?" sound?

Asside from really weird performance (usually due to lobing effects of strange driver configurations), I've come to seen 3 times of sound signatures.

1) Neutral sound on-axis with an off-axis roll-off (Danish sound aka "smooth sounding")

2) Neutral sound on-axis and neutral off-axis (Canadian sound aka "neutral but detailed/forward sounding")

3) Recessed midrange, tipped up treble and bass on-axis, varying off-axis performance (British sound aka sometimes "bright", sometimes "airy high end" and "punchy bass").

I assume by your definition of "hi-fi" sound you mean...British sound? If that is the case I would look at companies like Focal, B&W, and Tannoy.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. There's some great information in this thread.

Yeah, you guessed right, I'm a huge fan of the "british sound".

Unfortunately, I don't have enough money for the entry fee required.

I'm just hoping that the $180 Rokit's aren't too neutral.
 
I picked up the Rokit 5's for $180. And, besides a few scuffs one one unit, they're basically new, and sound amazing. I'm guessing unbalanced RCA is okay?
 
I picked up the Rokit 5's for $180. And, besides a few scuffs one one unit, they're basically new, and sound amazing. I'm guessing unbalanced RCA is okay?

oh and yeah unbalanced RCA is okay unless ur doing some mixing or something
 
Some guy was selling his mixing gear in Sacramento, and I stopped by and talked him down to $180 for a pair.

Any tips for configuring my HT Omega Claro Plus+?

What should I do about EQ?

Also, this isn't too big of a deal, but does anyone have any advice for filling in small scratches on the ABS finish?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top