Besides the doublesight, which other monitor(s) has the LOWEST input lag? [24"-26"]

lobski

Limp Gawd
When I read about the Doublesight having nearly zero input lag, I was very delighted and wanted to buy it. But the low stock and general high demand of this monitor may shatter my dream of owning a Doublesight 26". I am very sensitive to input lag! I currently have a 2408WFP that I will be returning.

I haven't done too much reading into the other NEC or Benq monitors. Are there any monitors that are at LEAST 24" and has nearly zero input lag and is good for gaming? I'm willing to set my price bar up high, around $1000.

Please help!

Thanks, but I'm looking for real world examples and comments from people here... :)

Nearly zero input lag usually means TN-based displays. The BenQ G2400W, Samsung 245BW, and 2493HM are all monitors with basically half a frame or less of input lag.

The only MVA monitor widely sold in North America with input lag less than two frames is the LG L245WP/L246WP. Hard to find these days except maybe from NewEgg, which has somewhat unfavorable return policies for monitors concerning dead pixels. There is an IoLair MB24W, which is also sold by Starlogic in the US with the same model name MB24W. It is reputed to have ZERO input lag according to Digital Versus, but it may be gone as well. It uses the same panel as the above LG and BenQ FP241W.

The Iolair model has HDCP, so I would assume the Starlogic one does too. There is a review over on BEHardware.com under the "Monitors" category comparing it quite favorably to the Dell 2408WFP. Some have said that the Viewsonic/Optiquest Q241WB is the same monitor, but that they have either switched or are switching to TN panels on this monitor. In that case, the Samsungs and BenQ are better buys.

IF Hazro brings over their 26" from U.K. that also has low input lag. The 24" has slightly higher input lag, but I don't know why. Both are IPS displays. The 26" has the same panel as the DS-263N. Ultimately there is also the Planar PX2611W which is the same monitor as the Doublesight, but more expensive, and equipped with a height-adjust stand.

The reason a lot of *VA panels have hight input lag is because of the strong overdrive. Since overdrive works by analyzing one frame, then the next, and applying higher voltages to the pixels for faster color transition to that second frame, it requires buffering two frames, which causes lag.

Sorry for the "info glut" but there are a number of options, but if gaming is your number one priority, and you aren't doing color sensitive Photoshop work, most TNs will satisfy your needs, or *VAs that I've mentioned as well, but most of these are disappearing due to AUO discontinuing their very good 24" a-MVA panel.

Regards,

10e

Thanks for the reply.

But I think I'll pass on a TN panel and get a IPS or better (or similar).

I don't notice the input lag TOO much in 3d games, but I play a lot of RTS games, which I feel it the most. Oh, and the horrible input lag the 2408 has in Windows.

I might just give in and get the Planar 26", if its easier to get it than the Doublesight...

Any other non-TN monitors with very little input lag?

[Disclaimer : I used to work at Sun.]

I've used the Sun 24" LCD I mentioned above and can attest to it having unnoticeable input lag.

I think it's a Samsung S-PVA panel so I'd be interested in knowing why the input lag is so low...

10e, you are the freaking monitor guru man. You really know your shit. Just want to say thanks for spreading your knowledge. I'm starting to think you work for Benq or another well known manufacturer. If you don't, you should be.

Anyway, I personally opted for the V2400W this time around, after getting rid of a low end Hanns-G. But if the V2400W doesn't suite me, I'll probably step it up to the DS-263N.

So basically I'm down to these choices:

Doublesight

Other TN monitors

But I don't want a TN panel, yet I want really low input lag. Am I out of luck?

I'm really getting frustrated, there doesn't seem to be a monitor made for me.

What I am looking for:

- Non-TN panel
- Extremely low input lag
- At least +24"
- Fits under around $1000

I might just get the Planar PX2611W because the Doublesight is now impossible to get....

I don't know where in Canada you live, but Canada Computers still has the L245WP at certain locations.

Unfortunately they do not have the greatest return policy for monitors. Has low input lag, but you have to bank on it basically being perfect as LG U.S. doesn't have any more refurbs to send you one. Of course I'm not sure about LG Canada and if their stock is separate from LG U.S. to comment on refurb L245WP availability.

Regards,
e

If you want low input lag, and not a TN panel..it's impossible..lol. The only two good choices would be the Doublesight or Planar, no real other choices imo,IPS panels as well.

extremely low input lag + non tn panel = impossibility..

But that doesn't mean you can't get one that has low input lag and good for gaming, the doublesite or Planar will do you justice.

23" Apple Cinema Display - People keep saying how old it is, but the panel revision they're currently using is only a couple of years old. I find the performance comparable to the DoubleSight without the polarizer. The lag and response times are pretty much the same, and it has the same white glow. Besides the size, the only differences are the Apple is close to sRGB, so the colors are less intense, and the anti-glare coating is stronger. The Apple can also go down much lower in brightness. It doesn't have HDCP support though.

23" HP L2335 - This monitor is discontinued and has an older S-IPS panel. I don't really recommend it because every one I tried had horrible backlight bleeding and multiple stuck pixels, and I could see patterned dithering in gradients, something nobody ever bothered to mention. It also has poor contrast compared to today's monitors, but if you're looking for a bargain IPS panel, you can probably find one of these for around $300 on eBay. It doesn't have HDCP support, but it has component inputs.

Those are the only other 23"-26" non-TN monitors I know about that have no lag like the DoubleSight and Planar monitors. I haven't heard of any S-PVA monitors with no lag available in North America.

Well I just found out that the larger 30" monitors 3007, 305t etc all have very low input lag. This is due to the fact that they don't have some kind of an "imageator" or something? Why can't 24-26" LCD's have perfectly low input lag with higher-end panels when 30"'s do?

Because most of them are VA panels which generally have more input lag.

The NEC LCD2490WuXi is the only widely available H-IPS display but you are looking at somewhere between 2 and 3 frames of input lag due to better image pre-processing.

The HP LP3065, Dell 3007WFP, 3007WFP-HC, LG W3000H, Samsung 305T all lack scalers to scale up an image to 2560x1600. The 305T apparently also lacks HDCP. Scalers can add input lag as well.

Choices for non-TN 24" monitors with low input lag are extremely limited, and a number of the monitors that had non-TN panels at this size are going out of production.

Your only other choices are as ToastyX mentioned, the 23" Cinema display and the HP LP2335. The HP has a lot of production issues where older models turned pink, and the component on this only does 480p. I have one sitting in the basement and I'm probably going to donate it to a school.

Otherwise maybe the BenQ FP241W is another choice, as the input lag on these is fairly low as well.

Here's a comparison done by a user here on the HF. It compares the FP241W, LG L246WP, Dell 2407WFP. The FP241W works better now with the other HD connectors than it did in that comparison due to firmware updates.

http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm

Regards,

10e

10e, which would be the best 1920x1200 LCD for gaming with best response time/lowest input lag, TN included?

I'm totally confused now, reading Digitalversus and some of the info makes no sense. The response time graph for the BenQ G2400W shows incredible results of 3ms average yet the review says reactivity is worse than Iyama or Belinea whose response time graph shows 30ms or worse. Wtf is going on here, damn LCDs give me a headache.

I want the least ghosting possible as well. I read the newer G2400WD has overdrive, am I correct in assuming it improves response time while adding input lag? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm still using CRT (FW900) but it needs a 24'' LCD buddy next to it for text work and mmos.

Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but 10e, do you have any more info on the Hazro 26", specifically from a gaming/input lag point of view? I'm upgrading from a Dell 2405FPW (rev A01) and will be using it exclusively for PC gaming. Would you recommend the Hazro 26" for these purposes from what you have seen of it?

I was also considering splashing out on the Hazro or NEC 30", but I'm put off by potential lag issues and all the QC problems people seem to be having. I can't get my preferred 30", the LG W3000H-BN here in the UK.

Grateful for any further advice you might have.
Thanks in advance!

[k]

Too bad Hazro's don't exist in North America yet...

Also, I was looking for non-TN recommendations.

Please keep the recommendations coming.

Overdrive on TN panels doesn't seem to create as much input lag as the PVA/MVA panels out there for some reason. I can't comment on the Iiyama as it is not in North America. Reactivity may be better, but I don't think it would have to be.

I would say that ghosting is not an issue with the G2400W/WD. With the G2400WD I'm pretty sure the overdrive can be switched on or off as can the dynamic contrast.

Regards,

10e

I want the least ghosting possible as well. I read the newer G2400WD has overdrive, am I correct in assuming it improves response time while adding input lag? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm still using CRT (FW900) but it needs a 24'' LCD buddy next to it for text work and mmos.

From what I read on TFTCentral the Hazro 26 has almost the same input lag as the Planar and Doublesight. Not surprising because I'm pretty sure they all use the same panel.

The only feature missing from the Hazros is HDCP, but that would not be a big deal with PCs, and since it has a component input you could still use a console with it, I would assume.

I am hoping they bring this gorgeous monitor to North America one day. We are in dire need of good IPS monitors that are readily available and don't cost over $1000.00

Regards,

10e

[k]ar|;1032596416 said:
Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but 10e, do you have any more info on the Hazro 26", specifically from a gaming/input lag point of view? I'm upgrading from a Dell 2405FPW (rev A01) and will be using it exclusively for PC gaming. Would you recommend the Hazro 26" for these purposes from what you have seen of it?

I was also considering splashing out on the Hazro or NEC 30", but I'm put off by potential lag issues and all the QC problems people seem to be having. I can't get my preferred 30", the LG W3000H-BN here in the UK.

Grateful for any further advice you might have.
Thanks in advance!

[k]

I am hoping they bring this gorgeous monitor to North America one day. We are in dire need of good IPS monitors that are readily available and don't cost over $1000.00

Regards,

10e

Then everyone will start talking about it here, and everyone will buy it. Then it'll be shot to backorder hell for +6 months and we're back to square one :(

Todays marks my 3rth month of searching for the perfect monitor!

Back