BenQ V2400W review by CopyCat Pt.1

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
Introduction:

Let me first say that I was actually very surprised and pleased to be one of the forum users picked to run a review on this monitor. I have to say that these things rarely occur to me J So beyond that, I quick introduction of myself and my daily computer use to give you a feel for what this monitor would be put through with me and kind of what you can expect from the review.
On any given day my computer usually deals with your basic functions, an hour or 2 of gaming, a lot of movie watching and hours of photo editing. So when I approached this review I took it from that very simple standpoint.
  • I have read through the other amazing reviews whilst writing this one and they are extremely thorough and very well detailed. I think you will find my review does not dive into some of the more specific information and touches on the monitor more from a standpoint of someone who is most concerned with what they see in daily use and someone who doesn't want to do much manual editing.
  • Also, sorry for the lateness in my review, mid-way through my writing my computers PSU bunked out on me and I ordered online only to receive it almost 2 weeks later. Worse yet when I managed to get everything back up and running my system was taken over by a virus which forced me through 5 days of cleaning. So I apologize again for this delay!! This also means I have to re-take some lost photos but I didn’t want to wait any longer to get this out.
Unboxing:

My monitor arrived quickly and in a standard box in a box setup. The box was packed pretty decently inside with some foam peanuts and didn’t seem to have any serious damage.

Once I opened up the box what caught my eye at first was kind of the way the VGA cable was just throw in there, I later found the power cable under the face of the monitor. I honestly felt like I had received a used monitor because of the way the monitor was packed inside the box. It was either that or someone got lazy and just through the accessories in. The plastic covering directly applied to the monitor was also a bit out of wack and seemed slapped on.

Appearance/Outside Looks

When I first started reading about this monitor and how amazing beautiful it was to look at I was a bit skeptical to see how great it actually was.
Well, it definitely takes the cake when it comes to any monitor I have owned. It is sleek, shiny and for all intensive purposes looks like it should have come boxed with my PS3. It’s a very nice looking monitor. With the modern offset design and thin bezel, this monitor begs to be glared at.

The monitor obviously has this offset look which is unique and honestly a nice change. I like my monitors to be clean and good looking, as it really is the face of my computer. The problem of course though is that while the stand is off to the side it is still rather large which takes up a bit of desk space.

To continue on with the stand; the monitor is mounted in such a fashion that extremely little movement is allowed. There is no rotation, a little bit of in-and-out movement and no vertical lift at all. This is a bit bothersome to me, as when working with multiple monitors you often want them to be at the very least close to each other in height but with this monitor you are forced to stay at one level; which is low to begin with in my opinion.

Connections:

The monitor comes with what I had expected from any other monitor except for one glaring part missing and one addition that has me a little confused. So as we take a look at the back you have your standard ports like Power, DVI-D, HDMI and D-SUB.
The HDMI port is nice for those of you planning on hooking this monitor up to your console or receiver of choice for some non-computer related entertainment without the need for a conversation cable. It is a bit annoying that there is the lack of DVI cable included which forces an out-of-box user to use D-SUB quickly dropping the quality of picture. HDMI and DVI cables can be found so cheaply now that it is hard to imagine why they are not included.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
(1. read panel 2. video out ports 3. audio out covered 4. audio out port)
The audio out port was something I had not seen before and it gets mixed reviews from me. After using the monitor for a week I don’t think I ever used that port and I can’t see a lot of situations where it is needed. I did happen to use it to hook up the PS3 sound to a receiver simply to try it and, and it did work just fine, but was not needed as there are other ways to get the sound to the speakers. Also, if a person is using a computer there are most likely either plugging their headphones into the computer or into the speaker dash they have setup. For this reason I felt it was a port not needed and hurts the thin look of the display.

Lastly, I know a USB hub isn’t extremely important with current motherboards and accessories available but I have become accustomed to having it on my monitors and truthfully it’s a great place for it to be. Out of the way and very convenient, it is unfortunate that this monitor does not come with one.

First Boot-up (Black Screen/Menus)

So I first booted up the screen hooked up to my PS3 as I was in the living room un-boxing it and felt this was the best place to start.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
(blue stuck pixel in bottom left corner)
Usually a blue pixel tends to blend in with a lot of things and I can say that through my 2 weeks of use I never once felt it was hindering my experience. That being said it is a dead pixel and after a few in-home techniques I was never bale to get it fixed. This of course is a monitor to monitor experience and hardly expected to be regular.

The screen looks great right off the bat and when scrolling through my PS3 I felt like the darks were pretty good and the colors were radiant.

(PS3 first startup menu and screens)

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I must say I am not a fan of the form that the buttons take. Especially because this monitor prides itself on the slimness and looks it takes, I would have much prefer hidden buttons in the bezel that some of the Dell monitors now use. It’s a shame that such a pretty form factor has this button panel sticking out of the bottom IMO.

It was easy enough to access the menu using the buttons which don’t have a large tactile feel but do give some feedback. For the non-technical user there are plenty of “easy” modes you can use if you do not wish to play with the settings further (Standard, sRGB, Sport & Movie).

(different screen modes, missing 1 SS sorry (will retake)
I must say that that moving between these modes did very little in terms of real noticeable differences. For those who like to fiddle a little further there are more detailed areas that you can play with as well.

(standard menus within the monitor.)

(more advanced system options.)
I think that the menu system on this screen is more than enough for any home user. I know a lot of people like to edit things on a very granular level but I feel for 95% of users they will be more than happy with this. You can edit it for brighter colors or for darker shadows and there are a bunch of customizations I think that will please even more critical users.

Media Center Thoughts

So I went into this review trying to have this monitor act as something I would use for all of my activities involving a screen. I was looking at it from the stand point of working in full entertainment capacities. I feel like the inclusion of the HDMI and audio-out ports make this monitor out to be something to be used for all occasions easily.
Of course you have to realize this screen is too small for most to be used in a living room where you most likely won’t have your computer for regular use anyways. So this is mainly aimed at those who have all their entertainment based out of their computer room/bedroom which is pretty common for many I think.

PS3/Blu-ray Usage

The first place the monitor was used was on my PS3 in place of my Panasonic 42” monitor. Now I understand that the comparison here is like apples to oranges but I think it’s good just to see what the differences are not looking at size.
The games I played were GT 5: Prologue and MLB: The show 2008. I feel like these two games gave me the opportunity to see how the screen handled fast motion and a lot of colors all at once.

(you can see the orange comes out a bit glowing)​

For the most part I think I could easily play these games on this screen without feeling bothered in many ways. There was a bit of lag in playing GT5 and I think this would pop out more in first person gaming but it was not enough to really bother me. The areas I saw that concerned me slightly were the bright colors being saturated and almost showing a glow as you can see in the GT5 shot of the orange car. The contrast was on the lighter side, as the darks didn’t get a lot of detail which can especially be noticed in movies as I mention in the next section

The screen had an easier time with MLB which had less fast motion but a lot of colors and shadows.

Movies

I also had a chance now to play some Blu-ray HD movies to see how well the monitor handled this portion of entertainment. I am glad to say that HD movies looked great on this monitor. It rendered the images in the proper size and the black portions where the screen was not filled were not overly bright. As I mentioned before this monitor has a bit of trouble with shadows and dark areas not handling them as well as my TV screen or even my Dell 30” monitor which was used for comparison later on.
(I lost the comparison shots with the Plasma, will be posted later tonight)​

Overall I would say this monitor handled playing Blu-ray movies was top notch.

* All desktop image Screenshots will be added today, once photos are finished @ home as they were lost :(. Apologies​

Desktop Usage

Ah, now here is what a monitor is made for, and for this function the BenQ shines brightly. Sitting on my desk the screen looked great and the amount of workable space was a pleasure to use. I will be comparing it the 24” BenQ to a 30” Dell monitor with a resolution of 2560x1600 so it has its work cut out for it.

There are several things I look for when I am working on my desktop that are extremely important to function.

1. Workable space
2. Viewing angles
3. Color representation
4. Speed
5. Footprint

Setting up the monitor on my desk was a breeze and it hooked up to my computer via DVI without issue (DVI Cable was not included). The issues that come up which I had hinted at before are that the monitors base while of center is still fairly large and solid. This means I can’t really put anything below the monitor and it takes up quite a bit of space on my desk. This isn’t a huge deal breaker just a preference thing mostly. The part that is annoying is that I can’t move the screen around at all. There is no side to side swivel, no rotation and no height extension. This becomes a problem when you are working on multiple monitors instantly as the lack of motion requires you to shift the entire monitor in order to use it in conjunction with something else.

After getting everything situated on my desk and starting up the monitor it was recognized instantly and everything ran smoothly.

Viewing Angles

I read a lot about these monitors and everyone seemed to feel as the panel used in this screen is more of a “budget” screen that the angles for viewing are not that great. After trying to view it from as many angles as possible I would say the screens viewing angles are passable to good. In most desktop environments I can’t see myself looking at the screen from way off to the side so as long as you are generally in front of the screen you are golden. No worries there for most of us 

General Usage

The monitor by itself would be more than enough for any regular user on a desktop at home. It is very large, reacts quickly and has a high enough resolution that you can get a lot done. I was able to easily navigate 2 or more windows at the same time onto the one screen and not feel cramped at all with my work. Moving windows around did produce a small amount of lag but it is something that doesn’t really affect my work in this environment. If a person wanted to have a word document running and an internet page running at the same time this screen would be more than enough to satisfy their needs.

Photo Editing Usage

As a photographer, a monitor is extremely important to matching colors and getting proper representation on a screen to match what is going to be printed at a later date. Unfortunately I did not have the time to calibrate this monitor using hardware so I tried to setup it up as best I could using its software options. I have been using the Dell 30” 3007WS_WFP and it was remarkably close to color right out of the box.
Running Photoshop and a few CAD programs the monitor was able to handle pretty finite images and lines that I edited with my digital pad. I did not feel myself missing areas or messing up tiny details due to lag. I printed a few images after fixing them on the monitor through an Epson 1800 photo printer and the colors were not spot on as the darks were a bit harsh and the colors more “bright” than the “warm” I needed. You will be able to see this in some screenshots I show you later today.
For anyone seriously into photography I think you may want to invest in a monitor with a few more options than this which can match tones and especially shadows a bit more. I would easily suggest it to anyone who just using a standard point and shoot camera and picasa though.

Gaming Usage

I don’t have a ton of games that I am playing on my computer (even though I do play a lot), so I used my regular HL engine games and so that is what I used to try and see how well the monitor dealt with the face pace of games.
My main game for testing was Counter-Strike: Source. This game is a online first-person shooter which can be heavily affected by lag and shadows. Through a couple of hours of gaming I could say that I started to noticed a tiny bit of shadow if I spun around in circles and looked really hard. During normal play these effects were not apparent and I could easily pwn my fellow gamers just as any other time. The one area that seems to always start coming back is the fact that darks and shadows are hard to get just right on this monitor. They either seem a little washed out or over-bearing.
I would recommend this to any gamer as am monitor as the resolution is great, the size is perfect for gaming and the colors look fantastic.

Conclusion

Now I know I didn’t approach this as technically as some of the other reviewers but I hope that my simple but straight forward approach helps people see exactly what this monitor is doing in the real work applications like the ones I used it in.

Overall: B+

Personally I think the monitor is beautiful but has a few flaws. One of them being the missing USB port, I think the audio port is not needed and is kind of ugly and the buttons on the screen are too large and take away from the slick lines. The screens performance overall was great. It worked flawlessly across my gaming console and my computer and aside from a few problems with blacks and a little shadowing the images were great and for the most part colors game out looking great.

Thanks again for the chance to write this up, and I will add more photos later!!

Wow another more than thorough V2400W review. Nice job CopyCat.

you noticed Lag?? nooo way.....like did you have any lag in css? or was it more of slight ghosting? i thought these were supposed to be like the best monitors as far as lag is concerned - i need something good for cod4 on ps3.

you noticed Lag?? nooo way.....like did you have any lag in css? or was it more of slight ghosting? i thought these were supposed to be like the best monitors as far as lag is concerned - i need something good for cod4 on ps3.

bump!

WTF does "bump!" mean????? WHAT THE FRACK?????? YOU THINK YOUR COOL OR SOMETHING ???? HUMAN BEINGS DO NOT RE

I'm viewing this thread on a V2400W, I'm very pleased. I play all kinds of PC games and have a PS3 hooked up as well.

SPOND TO A QUESTION WITH "BUMP" -WTF WTF WTF

Hahah my bad, I didn't mean to bump the question; computer screwed up. Bump means to bring up somebody's thread in the messege board. I'm very interested in the set because I can get this monitor locally instead of online.

You asked about lag?

There's not any that I can notice. If there is lag with a PS3 then it's the PS3 creating the lag. This monitor has at most 20 ms of lag and that's pretty close to unnoticeable.

Anyways, if one notices lag on anything it wouldn't be with the PS3, but even in Windows, with a CRT next to it in HDMI and DVI there is no comparable lag.

SPOND TO A QUESTION WITH "BUMP" -WTF WTF WTF

is there anything better out there, for ps3 (24" +) as far as lag? (aside from going crt). did the older benq g2400w's have less lag? i thought i heared they were like the best. thanks.

Hahah my bad, I didn't mean to bump the question; computer screwed up. Bump means to bring up somebody's thread in the messege board. I'm very interested in the set because I can get this monitor locally instead of online.

LOL, i've always wondered what "bump" meant, and you have nooooo idea how much it pissed me off seeing people randomly post that, and me not knowing wtf it meant. i thought it was like some kind of insiders joke of making fun of noobs, hahahaha.

I think I'm going to pull the plug on this set, since no one knows anything on the Gateway FHD2401, might as well get this set! Got some questions though; How do you look for dead pixels? My desktop literally blew a fuse out on me the other day *switching power input to accommodate new desk* so right now I'm using my laptop. Also for backlight bleed, I'm still not sure how to correctly check for it. Do you just lower all of the picture settings basically? Is there anyway to hook up a Wii to this (its not a big deal if its not possible, play it very rarely and I can put it on the other tv) I think I saw another thread questioning BenQ's return policy on dead pixels; so anyone know what it is? One more question (hehe don't you love questions!) how come the brightness is so low t 250? Is that a good or bad thing because on the Gateway FHD2401 its 400 ;and the contrast ratio on the Gateway is 2000:1 I think native where the BenQ is 1000:1 native/ 4000:1 dynamic What should I get? Also how would I go about calibrating either set for PS3 use? Just stuck with these two and honestly there's too many threads already on "What 24/Which one of these" so I'll ask here. I can get the Gateway anytime locally. Really diggin the look of the V2400W though!

The G2400W was the best, but the V2400W is pretty close. There's not much difference between a monitor that averages 5ms of lag vs one that average 8ms.

Anyway, with PS3 even 32ms average is fine. The super low lag is for the PC FPS mousers more than the console joypad players.

is there anything better out there, for ps3 (24" +) as far as lag? (aside from going crt). did the older benq g2400w's have less lag? i thought i heared they were like the best. thanks.

The blacks are bad you say? Can't you improve blacks by just lowering the brightness while keeping contrast high?

Anyway can you try this test here for me: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

and tell me how many you can distinguish? I guess my monitors really dark because I can only see from the 8th and up, supposedly should be able to view all of them.

Also, did you try the sense+eye thing, I'm interested in seeing how that improves images, someone told me it made them amazing.

Back