BenQ E2400HD Review

I tried one Blu Ray with this before I packaged it up again, Training Day.

It looked nice, but it still had black bars. I don't have my speakers hooked up yet, but the monitors integrated ones seem okay for casual use.

Lots of movies will still have black bars.. Many are anamorphic ratio of like 2.33:1. HD TVs are 1.77:1, regular 16:10 monitors are 1.6:1 (even larger bars). If the movies were formatted for HD or 16:9 format or otherwise has a ratio of 1.77:1, then they will have no bars. But you might be missing some of the movie.

Lots of movies will still have black bars.. Many are anamorphic ratio of like 2.33:1. HD TVs are 1.77:1, regular 16:10 monitors are 1.6:1 (even larger bars). If the movies were formatted for HD or 16:9 format or otherwise has a ratio of 1.77:1, then they will have no bars. But you might be missing some of the movie.

Well said but, all Blu Ray movies will have black bars; you won't be losing any part of the movie as long as the monitor is running 16:9, 1:1 , etc. You should be fine with this set since it is 16:9 ratio.

I am not sure why nobody metions PC GAMES in this one? In many games I play I don't see the 1920 * 1080 res option, they only have 4:3 and 16:10 (plus the odd 1280 * 1024). In this case, what are you going to do with a 16:9? Find path/hack for all games you play? Play at lower res with black bar on side? I think in some games when you try to display them with 16:9 res, you just get a starched 16:10 image.
I am not sure why so many people want their monitor to work really well with console/bluray player and all, but not really care about PC? I do my gaming and movie on HDTV and prefer my monitor to work well with my PC application.

From what I've seen, I'd much rather get another G2400W than a E2400HD. My old G2400W works great for most new application, and support older 4:3 games just fine.

I am not sure why nobody metions PC GAMES in this one? In many games I play I don't see the 1920 * 1080 res option, they only have 4:3 and 16:10 (plus the odd 1280 * 1024). In this case, what are you going to do with a 16:9? Find path/hack for all games you play? Play at lower res with black bar on side? I think in some games when you try to display them with 16:9 res, you just get a starched 16:10 image.
I am not sure why so many people want their monitor to work really well with console/bluray player and all, but not really care about PC? I do my gaming and movie on HDTV and prefer my monitor to work well with my PC application.

From what I've seen, I'd much rather get another G2400W than a E2400HD. My old G2400W works great for most new application, and support older 4:3 games just fine.
I don't game much on my PC so it's a non-issue for me - hence my not mentioning it. Under Windows I'm certain you can choose 1080p resolution. It's true that some games will just stretch or black bar. I think Counter Strike Source had a 16:9 option and that's the only game I've ever seen with this option. It probably says more about my lack of PC gaming than gaming's lack of widescreen resolutions.

It's also easier to manipulate game resolutions on a PC than it is on a games console (or entertainment system - think PS3 ;) ). It's usually something like editing a text file and you're done.

G2400W supports 1:1 pixel mapping, it's a good choice too.

If you had a 16:9 monitor, you would see those options. That's all I see now along with the old 4:3 formats. But so far, every game I have tried, even ones as old as Fallout original, Baldurs Gate, etc. and new ones like Half Life (anything with that engine), Far Cry 2, etc. all work at the proper resolution. I have YET to find a game that does not work properly at this resolution.

Bad news. My replacement has also arrived with the same kind of panel damage/defect. It's going back.

Really annoyed about this. I've cancelled my order now and I'll be considering the G2400WD aswell as some Samsung ones.

Really angry. Want to fight someone.

Most modern games support 1920 x 1080, the only recent(kinda) game that I own that does not is Battlefield 2 and I suspect DICE's lazy programmers is to blame in that case.

Bad news. My replacement has also arrived with the same kind of defect. It's going back.

Really annoyed about this. I've cancelled my order now and I'll be considering the G2400WD aswell as some Samsung ones.

Really angry. Want to fight someone.

Again, it's not the issue... A properly formatted movie will STILL have bars... Probably MOST blue rays out there will still have bars... I have a DVD/BluRay collection into the thousands already and only probably 30% of them are HD Full Screen. There are multiple wide-screen modes.

The Training Day Blu-ray movie is a 2.4:1 format. You will NEVER find a TV (untill they make a full anamorphic one) that will not have black bars on that. If you go to a conventional 16:10 monitor, your bars will be even larger.

There is no problem with your monitor causing these bars. And if BenQ actually traded out the monitor just for this, they did it just to make you happy and that goes a huge way for showing their good customer service.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Again, it's not the issue... A properly formatted movie will STILL have bars... Probably MOST blue rays out there will still have bars... I have a DVD/BluRay collection into the thousands already and only probably 30% of them are HD Full Screen. There are multiple wide-screen modes.

The Training Day Blu-ray movie is a 2.4:1 format. You will NEVER find a TV (untill they make a full anamorphic one) that will not have black bars on that. If you go to a conventional 16:10 monitor, your bars will be even larger.

There is no problem with your monitor causing these bars. And if BenQ actually traded out the monitor just for this, they did it just to make you happy and that goes a huge way for showing their good customer service.
Oh, the defect I was referring to was a damaged panel - someone or something had hit it and made three circular dents. It worried me that it happened to me on TWO monitors.

Still angry. Wanna fight?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, the defect I was referring to was a damaged panel - someone or something had hit it and made three circular dents. It worried me that it happened to me on TWO monitors.

Still angry. Wanna fight?

ohhh.. OHHHH... sorry. I just looked over your last post about it. My bad... Yea, that sounds odd. Might be a bad batch somehow or something the shipper has done. Might not really be BenQ fault. Something to consider. Try a different shipper? Personally, I always go UPS instead of FedEx. I've only ever had one damaged package from UPS, I've had now 19 from FedEx, and I use UPS a ton more often. (And many of them from FedEx, the box looks fine, cause the REBOX it in generic material...)
Maybe it's just my local hub that is the problem, but FedEx sucks for me. Just a possibility.

My experience(s) with this monitor:

-DVI, having "out of sync" problems.. tried a couple of things did not fix it yet.

I just got this monitor and every time it goes into sleep mode I get the 'Out of Sync' error. I'm running Vista 64 and the driver on the disc won't install (I guess it's a 32 bit driver?) I have an ATI 4870 video card and have tried playing with some of the settings in CCC, but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I finally got this monitor in proper condition, it's working very well. The Dark Knight on blu ray looks stunning. I never noticed this but the film changes between 16:9 and a wider angle throughout the film! Most of the time i didn't even notice the film was doing that. I thought it was a fault of the monitor but apparently that's just how the film was shot.

I'm going to try and wall mount this tomorrow, I got the appropriate bracket for it today. I'm curious as to how on earth i'm going to get the part of the stand that's attached to the back of the monitor off - there seem to be no visible screws or clips - i can tell already that this is going to get me angry and frustrated again.

Anyone have any idea how i'm going to get that thing off? The base is easy to put on and take off, but the part that is connected to the monitor looks impossible.

You need to get a desktop IMAX monitor to correctly display the W I D E shots in the Dark Night. I was going to get one, but couldn't find any monitor arms that would support 2000 lbs.:D

It seems to me that the 24 inch 16:9 monitors are the way to go for TN panels because of the vertical viewing angle issues. Think I'm leaning this way.

Thanks, very useful thread we have here.

Just got my E2200HD a few days ago, and I'm very very happy with my purchase! I've been playing Need For Speed Undercover, Left 4 Dead, and Gears of War at 16:9 resolutions, and they all look amazing! Downloaded HD movies/trailers look great also.

btw, mine came with a dvi cable inside. maybe it's the local dealer here in the Philippines who added the dvi cable, since it's not on the "What's in the box" list in the user's manual.

Will give you guys more feedback as the days go by.

I have finished initial testing with my father-in-law's new E2200HD which I purchased direct from BenQ because I was so pleased with my E2400HD.

After unpacking and setup, the default brightness on the 2200 was 90! OMG That's bright... Talk about bleed galore! But I turned it down to 30 (which I found to be good for my 24" and thought a good starting point for the 22"). Turns out to work very well. A week following the testing (24 hour on, changing images every 6 seconds through a barrage of 1080 images).

I now went through the long process of finding pixels on the screen with a test image, and then they wipe right off... (I blame the dog for the dust...) Needless to say, Zero dead pixels.

Colors on this monitor are great. And due to it's slightly smaller size and pixel size, image is just a hair crisper also as well as just a hair less color shifting due to the slightly shorter vertical size. Not to say that the 24" isn't near perfect (for a TN panel). The 22" is just ever so slightly better strictly due to the smaller size and same pixel count. Infact, I considered giving him my 24" and keeping the 22". But it wasn't THAT much nicer... HEHE!

In the end, either monitor is a wow deal. I have heard of a few duds coming out but I have yet to see one or hear of one from my friends which I could confirm. Obviously counting pixels is a crap shoot with any LCD but at least with these I've had excellent luck.

The only issue with the 22" is the power button doesn't click like it does on the 24". You just push it down (have to grab the bottom of the panel and squeze). I haven't checked yet to see if it's just a piece of foam under the button or something but nothing is obvious. Button also still works just fine, just stiff. Otherwise, results are nearly exactly that I reported for the 24". I'm very impressed. And paid full price!

The bleed was a little harsh for the first few days but like my 24" went away during the burnin period.

100% brightness is awesome when watching from a distance on the 24"

Is there any software to help me calibrate the monitor brightness/contrast/colour?

Hi, I write you from Italy, I bought this fantastic monitor last week ;) I reviewed it on an italian forum with photos : http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=1888360

I use this monitor especially with xbox360 connected by vga cable :) I'm trying to get the best brightness/contrast/color preset settings. I read that some of you advise to use sRGB color preset. Now I'm using standard color preset. Can you tell me what is the best brightness/contrast/color preset settings you tried to use especially with xbox360?
thanks

Hi, I write you from Italy, I bought this fantastic monitor last week ;) I reviewed it on an italian forum with photos : http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=1888360

I use this monitor especially with xbox360 connected by vga cable :) I'm trying to get the best brightness/contrast/color preset settings. I read that some of you advise to use sRGB color preset. Now I'm using standard color preset. Can you tell me what is the best brightness/contrast/color preset settings you tried to use especially with xbox360?
thanks

Nice set up!

So if I want to install 8.10 to 10.8 catalyst, how can I do that with out catalyst cd. Because only cd that came was users's guide.

I currently have my xbox 360 hooked up to my E2400HD via HDMI and I notice a faint flickering.... anyone else have this problem?

I'll try VGA and see what happens.

EDIT: I don't seem to have this problem with VGA....weird.

Does this monitor (or the E2200HD for anyone that has it) have seperate RGB controls over the HDMI input? If not, what are the options for color settings under HDMI.

You set it for the picture mode. There is one user adjustable picture mode in terms of RGB on this monitor > Standard. You can change the independent values by selecting "user color" under standard picture mode and it will work for any input.

Does this monitor (or the E2200HD for anyone that has it) have seperate RGB controls over the HDMI input? If not, what are the options for color settings under HDMI.

I finally got this monitor in proper condition, it's working very well. The Dark Knight on blu ray looks stunning. I never noticed this but the film changes between 16:9 and a wider angle throughout the film! Most of the time i didn't even notice the film was doing that. I thought it was a fault of the monitor but apparently that's just how the film was shot.

I'm going to try and wall mount this tomorrow, I got the appropriate bracket for it today. I'm curious as to how on earth i'm going to get the part of the stand that's attached to the back of the monitor off - there seem to be no visible screws or clips - i can tell already that this is going to get me angry and frustrated again.

Anyone have any idea how i'm going to get that thing off? The base is easy to put on and take off, but the part that is connected to the monitor looks impossible.

Did you have any luck getting the stand off? I've got mine mounted on a stand and it looks stupid with the "arm" hanging off!

Did you have any luck getting the stand off? I've got mine mounted on a stand and it looks stupid with the "arm" hanging off!

Yeah if you look closely, at the bottom of the arm there is a small gap between the black plastic and the silver - put a flat head screwdriver in there and the two bits of plastic should come apart - inside you'll see some screws - unscrew them and carefully take off the arm.

Looks great once you've worked that out, took me a good hour to find a way to take it off.

I've had it for a while now and it works really well, i've got some bleed at the top but you can barely notice it.

So I just got my monitor yesterday, and I'll be pretty much completely satisfied after I get a couple questions answered...

This is my first LCD, so I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I first turned it on, when the screen was black, I could see some lighter areas on the screen making the black not so uniform. I tried putting some pressure on the area and eventually reduced the effect, though it's not perfect. Again, only on black screens. Is this normal for larger LCD screens? My guess is it was a bit mishandled at the factory or something.

Second question's a bit simpler: what the hell does the AUTO button do? Does mine not work or does it only work on certain modes? Right now I'm running Standard mode through a DVI.

To potential buyers: don't let this deter you from picking this up. I'm fairly anal with every little facet when making large purchases, and even these hiccups aren't stopping me from loving this monitor. It's the 16x9 24-incher to get.

Give it a few weeks to warm up and the spots should go away. They did in both monitors I purchased.

The auto button readjusts the screen. When you hit it, the message should pop up that says 'auto adjusting...' and if you look carefully, the screen will get a little fuzzy for a second, then it will settle down and should be crystal. I have not used the DVI so that might differ slightly. I am only using the SVGA input that came with the unit since 1920x1080 doesn't require DVI.

Any "pixelation" (is that even a word lol) when watching movies on this near flawless monitor? Gonna pull the trigger on this versus the V2400W; 16:9 is better for my uses. I'm sure the PS3 games will look fantastic, but how are the movies, Blu Ray and upscaled DVDs?

Off Topic: Are there any future monitors worth noting before taking the plunge?

Thanks, One2The3

I watch tons of movies on it actually. I get some pixelation from my rips but other than that the Blu-Ray stuff looks very good.

There are some other 16:9's coming, ACER has one I hear. But the BenQ is still taking the cake in the reviews so far.

Thanks for the swift reply; been busy! I'll make sure to keep this monitor on my list!

Off Topic: But does anyone think that 32'' from 3 and something feet is tolerable or is it just too much?

Thanks , One2The3

So wait: does the E2400HD have the lowest input lag of all 1920x1080 monitors? If not, what screen has the lowest?

So wait: does the E2400HD have the lowest input lag of all 1920x1080 monitors? If not, what screen has the lowest?

It has less than one frame of lag. For all intense and purposes, that's Zero... So ya, it's low.

Hi,
my friend just bought this monitor. And is complaining of flickering ( alot of it)

He has installed the included cd software.
Video drivers are the latest.
OS is Win 7 64-bit (RTM)

And is using the the HDMi (monitor) to dvi cable (Video card).
Cables were switched to a dvi to vga one and the flickering is just as bad.
I will try to attach a picture if possible.

Is there a solution to this problem? Thanks in adavance

Last edited:
I have no flickering what-so-ever. IT's possible it's just a bad unit or bad video card.

I had something that might be considered "flickering" when I hooked mine up to my Xbox 360 via HDMI, but I use VGA for my 360 so it's not a problem. PS3 via HDMI works fine.

The only two things that come to mind are either faulty monitor or faulty gpu. Have you tried hooking up other sources to it?

Back