BenQ E2200HDA Full HD 16:9

Funny how even though 16:10 monitors use 90% of their total screen space to show a 16:9 image, that image is only 5% smaller than it would be on a 16:9 ratio monitor.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about

abcbf2.jpg

I really thought that a 24" 16:9 lcd showing a 16:9 image would have a much bigger size compared to a 16:10 doing it with black vertical bars. At least more than a 5% difference, but clearly I was wrong.

That 22" Pixel Density will be sweet. Very interested in it. Good idea BenQ.

I've been lurking to get monitor info for a few months. I almost got a BenQ G2400WD but decided against it for (a)the budget hit and (b)flicker with PS3. This monitor instantly struck me as the one I have been looking for for months.

I preordered one and will write a detailed review in this thread when I get it (BenQ expects them to ship on October 20th). I am so excited to get it. I will be able to test it with Blu-Ray through my PS3, games through PS3, and with my computer. I will also probably be able to test my roommate's 360 on this. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to test input lag because I don't have a CRT (although this won't matter to me because I suck at FPS's anyway).

$270 after shipping for a 1080P monitor is pretty sweet, I can't wait.

Why is the price of the 24" cheaper than the older V2400W? Which is supposed to be better?

Also, if a person NEVER does any movie watching, PS3/XBOX360 gaming on this monitor (ie/ strictly PC Gamer) would this be better or worse for you vs. the V2400W?

Just finished setting mine up. Ended up getting it for A$240!

Seems to be all good. Haven't done any serious gaming on it yet, but getting a quick feel for it having come directly from a CRT I'm not noticing it lagging behind what I'm used to any. Have also thrown a few standard resolutions at it; 1024 x 786, 1280 x 1024, 1680 x 1050 and has mapped all pixel to pixel as best I can tell, looks as sharp as it does in its native 1920 x 1080 anyway. Not sure if that's more the monitor or the nVidia drivers though. If anyone cares to point me in the direction of programs or pictures used for doing standard tests, would be more than happy to get the results and some photos up for those intersted. So far so good here.

Seems to be all good. Haven't done any serious gaming on it yet, but getting a quick feel for it having come directly from a CRT I'm not noticing it lagging behind what I'm used to any. Have also thrown a few standard resolutions at it; 1024 x 786, 1280 x 1024, 1680 x 1050 and has mapped all pixel to pixel as best I can tell, looks as sharp as it does in its native 1920 x 1080 anyway. Not sure if that's more the monitor or the nVidia drivers though. If anyone cares to point me in the direction of programs or pictures used for doing standard tests, would be more than happy to get the results and some photos up for those intersted. So far so good here.

How did you get it for $240?

edit: nvm, I thought you were talking about the 24"

I'm confused, I did a search on http://www.staticice.com.au for this and all I'm getting is BenQ T2200HD...is this the same as the E2200HD with a different letter for different region?

Exact link to what I'm on about: http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=1920x1080+22"

I think I too have found my new monitor in this: I want something to play my (older model) xbox 360 at 1080p over VGA but the 16:10 monitors all seem to muck it around too much. I'll wait for the reviews to see how it goes but wow, looks promising!

Also, is there much difference in detail/quality between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 for PC gaming? (bearing in mind I've been a 1024x768 gamer for about nine years now...)

I have the T2200HD. It isn't glossy, no HDMI, not as stylish looks [still nice though] and seems to be a tad slower from the specs.

I only got it because I don't really need HDMI and wanted 40 bucks in my pocket :D.

Thanks. I actually searched for the E2200HD model and it came up...wasn't showing up in my '22" 1920x1080' search because it lists the E2200HD as 21.5".

Does anyone know how the 360 goes on this over VGA? The review thread for the V2400W here said it was average on that model, so I'm a little worried. I really want to use my 360 at its proper resolution without resorting to buying an expensive LCD HDTV, and I have the VGA cable.

It should be perfect with Xbox 360 over VGA at 1920x1080. This is the native resolution of the monitor, so worst comes to worst, you set it to "full" aspect ratio where it stretches to full screen and it is 1920x1080.

Thanks. I actually searched for the E2200HD model and it came up...wasn't showing up in my '22" 1920x1080' search because it lists the E2200HD as 21.5".

Does anyone know how the 360 goes on this over VGA? The review thread for the V2400W here said it was average on that model, so I'm a little worried. I really want to use my 360 at its proper resolution without resorting to buying an expensive LCD HDTV, and I have the VGA cable.

Cool, thanks for that. Just hope it doesn't have the same washed-out look it has on some other monitors. Isn't too bad on my CRT, but the colours aren't nearly as vibrant as they are on my standard-def TV.

Hey can you get some pictures of it doing a 1:1 aspect ratio? Is there a setting in the osd for it?

Hi,
i'm interested in buying the E2200HD or E2400HD.

I want to use it also for normal PC usage.

But my Macbook Pro has not enough power to play games in 1080p

Normally i use 1400*900

How does this resolution or other 16:10 resolutions look at this TFT modell?

Black bars? Where? At the sides?

Maybe you can make a few pictues showing how standard PC resolutions look at it by using the correct aspect ratio feature

640*480
800*600
1024*768
1280*1024
1280*800
1400*900
1680*1050

I really wish LCD makers would not use the word "glossy" unless they mean the screen itself; some other term to denote the bezel type saves me from scouring for pictures to confirm or disconfirm eye-rape of glossy.

Ok, bare with me here... very new to this and essentially just (poorly) imitating the format of some of the reviews and feedback I've read in other treads here left by much more knowledgable people. But anyway, here goes and hope its of some use.

First, a couple of games:

Crysis Demo
01.jpg

Team Fortress 2
02.jpg

A couple of movies:

Iron Man
03.jpg

Sweeney Todd
04.jpg

Resoltions and Pixel Mapping:

05.jpg

06.jpg

manual.jpg

Finally input lag - E2200HD left, CRT right:

07.jpg

Now then, the camera isn't the best I'm afraid and as you can see tends to fish-eye a bit.
While hard to see with the small images (sorry), 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 did have the slight black barring top and bottom.
Posted the bit from the manual as the display mode options were sometimes greyed out and it explains why.
Not sure if my method was correct for, or how best to interpret the "stopwatch" numbers, anyone care to ellaborate there?

Ok, bare with me here... very new to this and essentially just (poorly) imitating the format of some of the reviews and feedback I've read in other treads here left by much more knowledgable people. But anyway, here goes and hope its of some use.

First, a couple of games:

Crysis Demo
http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/01.jpg[IMG]

Team Fortress 2
[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/02.jpg[IMG]

A couple of movies:

Iron Man
[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/03.jpg[IMG]

Sweeney Todd
[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/04.jpg[IMG]

Resoltions and Pixel Mapping:

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/05.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/06.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/manual.jpg[IMG]

Finally input lag - E2200HD left, CRT right:

[IMG]http://members.iinet.net/~genseric/kris/e2200hd/07.jpg[IMG]

Now then, the camera isn't the best I'm afraid and as you can see tends to fish-eye a bit.
While hard to see with the small images (sorry), 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 did have the slight black barring top and bottom.
Posted the bit from the manual as the display mode options were sometimes greyed out and it explains why.
Not sure if my method was correct for, or how best to interpret the "stopwatch" numbers, anyone care to ellaborate there?[/QUOTE]

Those input lag numbers look really good. I am looking at getting on of the E2200HDs, at $250 each I might just get 2 of them and a vertical dual monitor stand. (Why the heck is dual monitor stands cost so damn much?)

wow from looking at your pictures it looks like there is no back light bleed at all. Dang this monitor is perfect! I need to preorder one as soon as i get the money.

wow from looking at your pictures it looks like there is no back light bleed at all. Dang this monitor is perfect! I need to preorder one as soon as i get the money.

Actually, you can pre-order now. I was told by BenQ that we don't need to pay until product is shipped.

wow from looking at your pictures it looks like there is no back light bleed at all.

There is some minimal back light bleed along the base to be honest.

Its not very obvious at all, so the low-ish exposure those pictures where taken with remove it completely.
Have tried taking pictures with slightly higher exposure to show it, but can't find a setting that doesn't exaggerate it - make it look worse than it is.
Taking over exposures of a single colour the screen looks to be very uniform, but I dare say its not a very reliable way to test.

Did you use the drivers to do pixel mapping? It looks like the monitor settings don't have 1:1 pixel mapping.

Thanks everyone for the informative posts! This is going to be my new monitor! I just can't see how people can get used to a 24 inch gaming monitor. I bought a 24 inch and tried to use it for a while, but I just couldn't. FPS gaming on a 24 inch is just not good (to me). I will be pre-ordering this now!

Hey. If I buy this I'm going to hook up my XBox 360 to this monitor and I really need to be certain that there won't be any noticeable display lag for FPS's. I saw the stopwatch pictures but how can the LCD be faster then a CRT? Can someone explain how to interpret those pictures?

Thanks.

Looks like an amazing monitor otherwise.

When you use promo code - you can only use one promo code - either the E2200HD or thankyou10 - but not use 2 together. In this case, E2200HD is the promo code to use since it will save you more.

yea

that one doesn't work for me (as posted in the thread linked above). It says coupon.not.compatible

and I can't remove the 10% discount that was already there when I first loaded the page. Thats why I posted in the above linked thread "cart isn't working properly". They list $249 as the presale price

then they have a promo code, thankyou10.

Should be around $224. Even the $260.10 is higher than the $249 price listed in that thread. Adding either code does not work. Understand?

Well i'm out.Just ordered the V2400W,because 1440*900 is too small for me at this TFT and i also want to play WoW,Spore,Starcraft...

Too much black bar for my taste by using 4:3/5:4 or 16:10 resolutions.

In comparision i prefer the 16:9 black bars at a 16:10 screen by watching a dvd or playing Xbox 360 games.

Look it has an aspect setting...

Guessing its unfortunately not as you - and I originally - thought it to be.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it does seem that the 1 to 1 pixel mapping, after checking the settings, was in fact thanks to having the nVidia drivers set to not scale. Setting it to leave scaling up to the E2200HD, and then setting the monitor to "aspect" simply retains the original ratio, but stretches proportionally it to take up as much of the screen space as it can. For example 1024 x 768 is upscaled to 1440 x 1080, as the part from the manual describes it would.

Not an issue for PC users looking for 1 to 1 I guess, but for console users? That a big problem?

Could one of you take a picture of this monitor or the 24" version next to a 22/24" 16:10 monitor? Want to see how much screen I would be losing.

If it does 1:1 with PC set to 1:1/scaling off then that should be sufficient methinks.

With PS3 and 360 it isn't important, because of the native 16:9 resolution of 1920x1080. With 360 it will just do 1920x1080 over VGA or HDMI with no stretching or scaling, and with PS3 it will only scale up to 1920x1080(1080p) in most games, as they are 1280x720. Certain games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and GT5 Prologue won't need scaling either because they are native 1080p, as is the XMB.

Not sure about Wii over VGA, but the Wii (from what I've heard) has two VGA modes > 640x480 and 720x480 (EDTV). Either way, stretching to aspect *should* work over VGA.

22" monitors traditionally don't have a 1:1 setting in their menus, but that was for 1680x1050, so not sure why this one doesn't have it.

Also, your input lag numbers show a max of 29ms input lag. You are looking how FAR the CRT is ahead in when you photograph. This tells you how far the LCD *lags*.

Thanks for the info and review. Much appreciated.

Guessing its unfortunately not as you - and I originally - thought it to be.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it does seem that the 1 to 1 pixel mapping, after checking the settings, was in fact thanks to having the nVidia drivers set to not scale. Setting it to leave scaling up to the E2200HD, and then setting the monitor to "aspect" simply retains the original ratio, but stretches proportionally it to take up as much of the screen space as it can. For example 1024 x 768 is upscaled to 1440 x 1080, as the part from the manual describes it would.

Not an issue for PC users looking for 1 to 1 I guess, but for console users? That a big problem?

Tzeh Pesh, how did you get this monitor so early? Are you the person who is supposed to be reviewing the monitor?

I certainly hope not nandaman, my posts are quite amateur hour.
Wasn't aware it was all that early... they have been listed on some online Australian PC stores a little while now.

Thank you 10e! Though if anything I'm the one that should be saying much appreciated to you, as while debating which monitor to purchase had read a lot of the very useful information you post here and your monitor reviews, so thank you for taking the time out on all those and for setting me straight on input lag here. Though still a little confused though as to how you came to the figure 29ms, had thought it was showing 0, 10, and 20. Perhaps I need to look at getting a program with an extra significant figure for ms and further adjust the exposure to nail it down a little more precisely. Don't suppose I could possibly trouble you too, if its not too big an inconvenience, for how to most simply test/correct the factory colour settings? Please?

Sorry Mikerocks2112, but this is my first LCD. Only thing I have to compare it to is an old 17" CRT.
However, made this up from the specifications on the BenQ site - a 22" 16:9, 22" 16:10, and 24" 16:10. That help any?

size.gif

Back